FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Looking for suggestions w/ key combinations

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Athion

Post Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:28 am

Looking for suggestions w/ key combinations

How do folks pick keys to assign when setting up your key maps and macro libraries?

I am trying to use a logical approach that will minimize conflicts between my ISBoxer setup and the in-game default keybinds. Hopefully, using a logical approach will also make it easier to troubleshoot conflicts. For instance, I have a Combat Hotkey triggered by G14 on my Logitech G600 mouse calling Ctrl + Alt + Shift + V in my WoW macro library as part of the paladin's step/priority dps rotation. The setup exports to Inner Space without error.

In the example I gave, using the macro was opening the specialization window in WoW. So I am having to go into the game and remove most of the key bindings. Generally, this suits my playstyle. I don't mind clicking UI buttons to get to the spellbook or professions windows. But I do like having key binds for some of the more common windows such as character screen, inventory and map. So I would like to try and strike a balance between having enough keys available for key maps and having some keys available for UI key binds.

Some of the things I try to do to keep conflicts to a minimum are:
    - Removing most of the in-game key bindings I don't use. I am happy clicking on a button for things like opening the specialization or profession windows, but not common features like opeing inventory, character sheet or map.
    - Reuse key combinations for similar activities across classes (i.e. right Ctrl + right Alt + right Shift + Q for the first step in all dps rotations in the game helper library)
    - Use the logitech special keys as mapped keys within the Combat Hotkeys key maps
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:38 am

Re: Looking for suggestions w/ key combinations

Every time someone makes this exact post I have to wonder what they're doing, to be honest.

- Reuse key combinations for similar activities across classes (i.e. right Ctrl + right Alt + right Shift + Q for the first step in all dps rotations in the game helper library)

It doesn't even have to be similar activities. If you're making WoW Macros, you should have a set of macros for your Paladins and only Paladins should get those macros, likewise you should have another set for Druids and only Druids should get those. Those two sets can have hundreds of macros in them, and every single one of those can use a key combination that has been used for another class. You don't need hundreds though, I have maybe 10-15 macros tops for each class. What I do is just go down the keyboard with ctrl+shift+alt+Q, W, E, R, T and so on, for each class. Figuring out keys to use is simple because there's not really that many in use?

In the example I gave, using the macro was opening the specialization window in WoW

Ctrl+Shift+Alt+V opens a window? I'm going to guess that you have something else going on here. Like, possibly other buttons being pressed.

It would probably be a good idea to share your configuation (http://isboxer.com/wiki/Configuration_Sharing) so we can better understand the problem you're having.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:43 am

I use:

Ctrl Shift Alt <Letter/Number>
Ctrl Shift <Letter/Number>
Ctrl Alt <Letter/Number>

Seeing as that's over 100 different key combinations, those will pretty much take care of anything I could ever possibly need probably four or five times over.

As for you having conflicting bindings in game and something happening as a result (e.g. "opening the specialization window"), then that usually means you either don't have the add-on enabled, or you haven't done a /reload since you exported with the game running. There's very little reason to ever have to unbind things in the game's key bindings, and while I do the same as you are (pulling out unnecessary bindings), I don't do it because of any possible conflicts, I do it because I like to just clean it up in there.

EDIT: To add to what Lax is saying... By default, any "V" key bindings are bound to the nameplates, not the specialization window.
<<

Athion

Post Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:32 am

lax wrote:Every time someone makes this exact post I have to wonder what they're doing, to be honest.

It doesn't even have to be similar activities. If you're making WoW Macros, you should have a set of macros for your Paladins and only Paladins should get those macros, likewise you should have another set for Druids and only Druids should get those. Those two sets can have hundreds of macros in them, and every single one of those can use a key combination that has been used for another class. You don't need hundreds though, I have maybe 10-15 macros tops for each class. What I do is just go down the keyboard with ctrl+shift+alt+Q, W, E, R, T and so on, for each class. Figuring out keys to use is simple because there's not really that many in use?

Sorry, this is what I was trying to explain. I have separate macros for each class, but I try to reuse the key combinations across classes. For instance, Step 1 of my single target DPS rotation for Paladin and Hunter share the key combination of right Ctrl + right Shift + right Alt + Q, even though the rest of the macro is different for paladin and for hunter.

lax wrote:Ctrl+Shift+Alt+V opens a window? I'm going to guess that you have something else going on here. Like, possibly other buttons being pressed.

I will share my config. I was seeing similar symptoms based on a few different key bind conflicts in game using both the letter key and Shift + the letter key. It looks like I am consistently causing this issue with my setup. Since I was triggering an issue with a key and a key + modifier, I made a false assumption. The setup should treat 1 modifier + key as different than key or key + 2 modifiers, so I can see why there should be plenty of key combinations available.

Config: http://privatepaste.com/771e4f63a5
Character Set: H-Kul Tiras - Mixed

Return to ISBoxer Pro Configuration