FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Is Virtual Combat Needed?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:19 am

Re: Is Virtual Combat Needed?

The entire point of the Virtual Combat Key Map, is so that you don't need to virtualize individual Mapped Keys one at a time. You can virtualize an entire Key Map, which is what the Pro Config is based on for simplicity's sake.

It also makes it easy to set up many different Key Maps to virtualize against, because it's generally going to be empty. So when adding a new class/spec, generally you can just make a copy of Virtual Combat, and then you already have the base Mapped Keys in which to configure your DPS Rotation, Stun, etc.

I don't see any additional options to be gained passing it to the Key Map "Virtual Combat" before going to the class specific Key Map.

Virtual Combat isn't going to happen "before" going to the class-specific Key Map. The class-specific Key Map happens "instead", and this is so that you don't have to go into your Combat Hotkeys and add one action per class; instead one action drives every single class you can ever add to it. e.g. "Do ____ in EQ1_Warrior -> eq1_warriors", "Do _____ in EQ1_Druid -> eq1_druids" etc etc, instead it's "Do _____ in Virtual Combat -> all". This is much better, and in the end it's irrelevant which classes you're using.

One of the options that you don't see being gained is the ability to easily switch "specs"/roles on the fly. Use a Mapped Key Virtualization Action to switch from EQ1_Warrior to EQ1_Warrior2 which does something slightly different. In WoW (for example) you might have a Key Map for a Protection Warrior and one for Fury Warrior, and these have different special abilities (defensive vs offensive) that would be in the DPS Rotation, etc. So instead of individually re-virtualizing each of the abilities to switch between Prot and Fury, or setting up some other more complicated method of enabling/disabling abilities via Do Mapped Key Actions and Mapped Key State Actions, it is a simple matter of one Mapped Key Virtualization Action to switch the entire implementation.

It's designed this way to be very flexible, and yet easy to set up. Good luck with whatever you create, but if you're not using this intermediate Key Map (which can be named whatever you want, but the wizard is going to set up Virtual Combat again next time you use it for MMO - Pro) it's not the Pro Config. ;)
<<

Dbashn

Post Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:51 pm

Re: Is Virtual Combat Needed?

Thanks everyone, I just needed to look at a more complex profile, and now it's coming together. I was first concerned that the Pro Config option was creating "special" key maps that maybe I had to use as named.

Once I looked at firescue17 more developed profile it really sunk in just how complex EQ1 alone could get, and how defining virtual key maps in the long run would be far more beneficial. It's one of those things at a basic level that just seems like extra work until things get more complex.

And now I feel more comfortable that I can use my own naming convention and structure without breaking it.
Previous

Return to ISBoxer Pro Configuration