FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Keeping character synced up

Moderator: MiRai

<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: Keeping character synced up

Enko wrote:It almost feels like when its broadcasting, it is not broadcasting for the same amount of time that you hold your turn button down. With the most recent build, mouse panning keeps them together better but it's still slightly off.

I didn't read everything in this thread word-for-word and I realize there was a known issue with mouse broadcasting before that I thought Lax had already addressed, but what you're experiencing sounds like the same thing that happens in every single MMO. No?

If you attempted to drive your characters with the mouse or arrow keys in RIFT, WoW or any other MMO with a 3D world, your characters would end up running away from each other just like they're doing in GW2. I've never actually played GW2 so I can't honestly compare its "out-of-sync" behavior to any other games, so I might be wrong; but that's exactly why there is an entry in the FAQ for this particular problem because a lot of people end up trying to steer all of their characters with the mouse in other popular MMOs.

Unfortunately for GW2, there is no follow command to remedy this and you're stuck having to constantly readjust your characters manually.
<<

Enko

Post Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:20 am

MiRai wrote:
Enko wrote:It almost feels like when its broadcasting, it is not broadcasting for the same amount of time that you hold your turn button down. With the most recent build, mouse panning keeps them together better but it's still slightly off.

I didn't read everything in this thread word-for-word and I realize there was a known issue with mouse broadcasting before that I thought Lax had already addressed, but what you're experiencing sounds like the same thing that happens in every single MMO. No?

If you attempted to drive your characters with the mouse or arrow keys in RIFT, WoW or any other MMO with a 3D world, your characters would end up running away from each other just like they're doing in GW2. I've never actually played GW2 so I can't honestly compare its "out-of-sync" behavior to any other games, so I might be wrong; but that's exactly why there is an entry in the FAQ for this particular problem because a lot of people end up trying to steer all of their characters with the mouse in other popular MMOs.

Unfortunately for GW2, there is no follow command to remedy this and you're stuck having to constantly readjust your characters manually.

Yeah that looks like what's happening though what I am surprised about is that the windows receiving the broadcasted commands are going at the same rate and staying together. I tried setting up a blank window and having that broadcast to the 3 game windows. Kind of worked. Looks like I'm stuck just using 3 characters at a time for now.
<<

Napalm

Post Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:39 am

I've tried both mouse panning and just using wasd but still get the same problem. Like Enko said, it's like there is a small time difference with mouse and button commands.

I played other MMOs and tried using the mouse steering and get the exact same problem, but other MMOs have follow.. So since this one doesn't have a follow is the problem going to get fixed now? or will the faq get modified and say if there is no follow in game dont use this program? lol

It cant be that hard of a problem to fix can it?
Maybe if there is a way to lock all the screens together? when they screens are perfectly lined up the characters are in sync.. its when the screen gets off just a little bit thats when things start messing up...
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:32 am

Thanks for clearing up the issue up a bit.

The accuracy and precision of mouselook broadcasting is highly dependent on the game being played. For example, if your turn rate is at all based on your framerate, or if a slight blip due to loading a texture can affect your mouselook speed, then it will be fully impossible to always keep them synchronized. (Your framerate is never going to be perfectly synchronized, and neither will the slight blips.) Additionally, in order for it to be perfectly synchronized between multiple instances, you must rely on the game to either a) process the input instantly and perfectly and with no delays, or b) fully utilize the timestamps on the input events. Many games simply use the time of the input processing as if it were the time of the input event, and have no real reason to change because it's correct enough to play. If the game doesn't use the event timestamps, then we automatically lose precision no matter what I change in Inner Space. And even if it does, if one game instance processes the input at 1 ms different than the others, it may result in a different resulting heading because the game is dividing or multiplying by one number in one case, and another number in the other, and may move forward at a different heading. In fact, unless you can precisely set your heading to a predetermined value, they are always likely to diverge. This is no simple thing to synchronize...

But, if you want the current window to be closer to the broadcasted-to windows than you currently have it, the best way is to make the current window one of the broadcasted-to windows, as opposed to the default behavior of allowing the input to fall-through to the current window instantly. To do so, you can either modify the existing "Activate Repeat", modify a copy of it, or you can use the Mapped Key Wizard (in the Wizards menu) to set up a new "Broadcasting Toggler".

If you would like to modify the existing "Activate Repeat" -- which syncs with the on-screen icon:
1. In the top left pane under Key Maps, select "Always On" (for WoW players this is "Control")
2. In the bottom left pane expand "Activate Repeat" so that under it you see Steps, 1, 2
3. Select Step 1 under Activate Repeat
4. The top Action in the bottom right pane, which is selected for you automatically, sets the Repeater Target to "Window: All w/o Current" and does not "Block buttons from originating window". This is what you want to change:
4a. Check the box "Block buttons from originating window", which will affect the available Repeater Targets
4b. Set "New Repeater Target" to "Window: All w/ Current" (if w/ Current is not listed, the Block box is not checked)
5. Export to Inner Space

To make a copy first -- which will let you separately keep the original behavior if you want:
1. In the top left pane under Key Maps, select "Always On" (for WoW players this is "Control")
2. In the bottom left pane right click "Activate Repeat" and select "Make Copy"
3. Change the name of the copy!
4. Change the Hotkey to not be the same as the other Mapped Key!
5. Refer to the above steps for "modify the existing" for the rest...

To make a new "Broadcasting Toggler" which does not sync with the on-screen icon:
1. In the Wizards menu select "Mapped Key Wizard"
2. On the first page pick a Key Map to put it in, probably "Always On" for this type of mapping (especially if your Hotkey will not need to be disabled)
3. On the second page, pick "Broadcasting Toggler"
4. The third and final page has options for you to set for the toggler:
4a. Name the toggle, whatever you like
4b. Assign a Hotkey, this will behave similar to Shift+Alt+R...
4c. Under "broadcasting options" check "Block buttons from originating window", which will affect the available Repeater Targets ("broadcast TO these windows")
4d. Change "Broadcast TO these windows" to "Window: All w/ Current"
4e. Optionally add some popup text (similar to "Broadcasting ON" and "Broadcasting OFF")
4f. Finish the wizard
5. Export to Inner Space
<<

Enko

Post Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:04 pm

Thanks, Lax. This is exactly what I was looking for when the DXNothing alternative was brought up.

I'll give it a try and report back results.
<<

Enko

Post Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:40 pm

lax wrote:If you would like to modify the existing "Activate Repeat" -- which syncs with the on-screen icon:
2. In the bottom left pane expand "Activate Repeat" so that under it you see Steps, 1, 2
3. Select Step 1 under Activate Repeat
4. The top Action in the bottom right pane, which is selected for you automatically, sets the Repeater Target to "Window: All w/o Current" and does not "Block buttons from originating window". This is what you want to change:
4a. Check the box "Block buttons from originating window", which will affect the available Repeater Targets
4b. Set "New Repeater Target" to "Window: All w/ Current" (if w/ Current is not listed, the Block box is not checked)
5. Export to Inner Space

Changing this setting has greatly improved my characters staying together. I still need to do minor adjustments but not as many as before. Thanks!
Previous

Return to Guild Wars 2