FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Guild Wars 2

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Prepared

Post Tue May 01, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Guild Wars 2

volkl wrote:Awesome! Hey prepared how do you plan on auto following in the game? I don't think there is an auto follow.

You are correct, there is no auto follow currently in the Guild Wars 2 beta. What I did was point all clones in the same direction and hit 'r' to run them all forward and then adjust them occasionally as they were moving in the same direction. Kind of crude but it worked at least for the first beta I was involved in. In each of my feedback comments for the events, I added that an auto follow system would make grouping together much better as players can use it to follow a lead through an event. I'm hoping there is some form of auto follow when the game is released. If there is no auto follow added, I figure Guild Wars 2 will not be attractive to as many players as if it were added.

Either way, I really enjoyed the beta last weekend. I played some different professions and thinking that I'm going to stay away from Thief, Mesmer and Warrior professions for now. I pre-purchased eight copies of the game (one for each of my computers) and with the exception of some overflow and some connectivity issues at certain times, the game ran fairly well for a beta. It did have some game lag at different times throughout the weekend but seemed to get better later on. They've got to fix the overflow system so that players can group together in PvE better than it was in the beta. At least all in the group should be in the same overflow instance at a minimum and I've heard that's what is planned.

I really enjoyed the ranger and elementalist professions. The Guardian wasn't bad but in the beginning levels I found I had to be close to combat and that is not good. Ranged combat appears to be much better at least at the initial levels. Primarily because close combat seems to attract a lot of enemies in PvE during some events and that causes a quick death in some cases even with dodging and healing.
<<

JabbrWocky

Post Thu May 03, 2012 1:24 pm

from guildwars.incgamers.com forums

"You can already follow people by targetting them and hitting space. But you only follow until the next time they stop."
<<

Prepared

Post Thu May 03, 2012 10:02 pm

JabbrWocky wrote:from guildwars.incgamers.com forums

"You can already follow people by targetting them and hitting space. But you only follow until the next time they stop."

When I tried that in the beta, it just jumped the character. Space is now jump in the game.
<<

Ekpyrotic

Post Mon May 07, 2012 5:29 pm

Prepared wrote:I really enjoyed the ranger and elementalist professions. The Guardian wasn't bad but in the beginning levels I found I had to be close to combat and that is not good. Ranged combat appears to be much better at least at the initial levels. Primarily because close combat seems to attract a lot of enemies in PvE during some events and that causes a quick death in some cases even with dodging and healing.

Guardians skills are ranged with a staff, like a GW monk-smiter. Also with a Scepter/torch.

Elementalist - very strong DPS and had a AOE heal and a damage that healed nearest party member to attack target.
Guardian - good survivable lead with group buffs and group wards.
Mesmer - good ranged/melee DPS, very strong/survivable melee. Has a wall spell that speeds party crossing it, and slows others. 2 Mesmers can keep speeds walls up between CD.

Ranger - didn't like pet AI/management. Seems like a GW beast master.
Theif - dies easy at melee range. But near impossible to be killed at range.
Necro - weak dps, weak survival when not tiered up into deathshoud state. May need 1 necro in group for blood well pip and converting group conditions to boons. Difficult to play, requires weapon switch to snare and dps. Necro is strong when lots of things are dieing around him.
Warrior - good dps, okay survivability. Can pull 1 target into group.
Engineer - noisy and weak

I'm like GEEEE or GMMMM . All ranged dps with guardian buffs/wards.

PS Mesmers going to get a melee nerf, OP strong at melee class compared to others.
One class had DIablo II's barbarian whirl wind, very fun.

PSS Mesmer was nerf'd in beta2. Clones damage reduced by 90%. Engineer in beta2 is still underpowered (I'd be interested to see how the AI positions all the clones of 5 mesmers standing on each other). They're still working the balance for the Mesmer and Engineer, those two classes will change a lot each beta.
Last edited by Ekpyrotic on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
<<

Biggcarl

Post Tue May 22, 2012 2:11 pm

The way i handled follow in GW1 was had a hot key set up for the party to target the first person in the group which was the one i was controling then hitting spacebar. was set as a press and release it would hit f1 then spacebar. Which then made all my characters want to interact with hte main character. I handle attacking the same way I would hit my hot key for calling a target and all my attacks where hotkeyed in press release 2 step of hit T so they would target and then press the attack key. I ran a Necro discord spike great with my warrior caller.
Multiboxing: (Mul-ti-box-ing)1.physically and mentally dependent on a particular substance, and unable to stop taking it without incurring adverse effects.
<<

Prepared

Post Thu May 31, 2012 9:15 pm

Biggcarl wrote:The way i handled follow in GW1 was had a hot key set up for the party to target the first person in the group which was the one i was controling then hitting spacebar. was set as a press and release it would hit f1 then spacebar. Which then made all my characters want to interact with hte main character. I handle attacking the same way I would hit my hot key for calling a target and all my attacks where hotkeyed in press release 2 step of hit T so they would target and then press the attack key. I ran a Necro discord spike great with my warrior caller.

You're talking about how Guild Wars 1 worked. This forum and the subject was about auto follow in Guild Wars 2, not 1. The games are completely different. Guild Wars 2 is a full MMORPG not yet released that goes to level 80. Guild Wars 1 only goes to level 20 and has been released for over 7 years.

When I multiboxed Guild Wars 1 back in 2005, I used auto follow in the game. I didn't use any form of multiboxing software back then.
<<

Prepared

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:12 pm

During the last beta weekend event, June 8th to June 10th, I tried using ISBoxer/Innerspace to launch more than 1 copy on the same PC following the directions in this forum. That is, adding the game in Innerspace, copying the folder for the install and adding it as another game in Innerspace then selecting the games in ISBoxer to match the character login. It would not allow the second instance to launch. It looks like there was a change in how the launch works in that the game uses the first launch folder path for the next attempt to launch. Maybe this is a registry setting that controls that. Just thought I'd let you know ISBoxer/Innerspace not working for Guild Wars 2.

I'm really hoping ISBoxer/Innerspace will work with Guild Wars 2. Then the only obstacle will be for ANet to put in an auto-follow system into the game. Then I can multibox 25 clients across the 7 computers I'm using. Otherwise, I can only multibox 7 copies. If ANet doesn't put in auto-follow, I'll still attempt to multibox GW2 but probably will get frustrated and stop playing after awhile and go back to World of Warcraft where I multibox 50 accounts. Sure it costs more but at least it works there.
<<

Ekpyrotic

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:53 am

I don't think GW2 will put in a follow or target forwarding.
It has a command to highlight a target and a acquire others target command, that works out of group.

Here some reason why they don't seem to want multiple accounts:
1. Crafting nodes are click-able by everyone, find 1 and whole group can work it. You can level your characters to 80th by maxing each of the 8 crafting vocations to 400th, don't need to leave town ever. Crafted items are the equal to the best items in the game.
2. In world pvp you can see almost everyone on your side, in the multi-groups, moving around the map. Not sure how they'll deal with multiple server spies.
3. Combat survival is very movement dependent.
4. The original gw didn't have /follow. GW2 doesn't even have move to target or click to move like GW did.
5. Events scale to how many are players are near.
6. Seem like if they wanted a follow, it would be there now for testing.
<<

pengster

Post Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:03 pm

I managed to dualbox GW2 during the June8 BWE following Lax's guide (GW2 on 2 separate folders).
However there is no auto-follow nor Acquire-Target-of-Target/Target-Forwarding. I tried the samething as Prepared - broadcast my movement keys.
Yeah it was crude and requires constant adjusting of my slave. On a fairly straight path, it is kinda doable. But each time I stopped
I had to readjust each toon's positioning and direction manually before I move again. When in town and browsing merchants, forget it, I control each toon one at a time.

I dualboxed a Guardian (Lead: sword/shield ) and Mesmer (Slave: Greatsword). On an open field, combat was sorta manageable. Both toons moves together almost on top of each other.
Wide kiting movements tend to get my slave snagged on a rock or tree. But if I strafe short zig-zag moves, my guardian's buffs can still protect my mesmer.
My mesmer is ranged when wielding a greatsword. So at least damage was still hitting from both toons.

I spent a great deal of time trygin to kludge this together on the first day. I died more dualboxing mobs alone, than when other ppl joined in the fight.
They rez my toons and kept aggro away so I can spent a min repositioning, redirect-ion-ing and re-targeting, lol.
Eventually I gave up 2boxing and tried out different professions in solo mode.

I dunno if there is anything isboxer can do to help but i sure hope Anet puts in auto-follow and target-fowarding.
Even so, it might still be sketchy and comes down to picking the right profession-combo to box. Like 5boxing necros just for their combined army of pets.
Regardless, I still totally enjoyed GW2
Previous

Return to Guild Wars 2