FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Broadcasting delay solution?.

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Artemix

Post Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:28 am

Broadcasting delay solution?.

I've been experiencing lately a bit of delay when broadcasting to the other windows, is it due to low framerate?, I'm normally at 60 in the current window and 30 in the background ones.

The delay is not big, but sometimes I would like to have the characters closer together when I make them all move.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:35 am

Re: Broadcasting delay solution?.

You want the framerate identical in your D3 windows. ISBoxer attempts to do this for you by default for D3 by assigning 30 for both foreground and background. If the framerate is significantly different (Say, twice as fast in one window than in the others) then it will also process mouse movements at a faster rate -- you're generating twice as much mouse movement as the other windows want to use.

Beyond that, there should not be a noticeable delay in the actual mouse broadcasting. There will CERTAINLY be a visible and obvious difference when you're clicking, as far as when/where each character appears to move. If you look at all windows at the same time, every individual window is going to appear to be the lead character while moving around, with the others following close behind. That's because each window has to find out from the game server about the others moving -- the higher your ping is, the further behind the others will appear to trail (even though when they stop they go to basically the same spot).
<<

Artemix

Post Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:18 pm

Exactly, is there a way to reduce the ping?, what comes into equation?.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:48 pm

Latency to the server is based upon your physical location and how far you are from the datacenter where the server resides. The only thing you can do to reduce the latency is:

1) Move closer to the location of the server
2) Buy a better CPU (to process the packets at the NIC)
3) Buy a better modem/router (to process the packets quicker)
4) Use a wired connection (e.g. not WiFi)
5) Ensure network settings are set properly in the operating system

However, unless there is a severe issue with your hardware, both 2 and 3 have a negligible impact on latency, and it's unlikely that upgrading hardware will result in a measurable change, unless you're playing with hardware that is considered ancient by today's standards. Also, I just figured I'd throw 4 and 5 out there because I like to cover all angles, but, again, most people are already on a wired connection, and it's highly unlikely that you've been manually adjusting your network settings (the default settings are fine for the vast majority of internet users).

Finally, I'll say that even if you could reduce your latency to ~10ms or something similar, there would still be a visual delay in each window where the "leader" looks as if they're ahead of the rest of the team because of the fact that every character has to communicate with the server before the client receives that information.
<<

Artemix

Post Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:11 pm

MiRai wrote:Latency to the server is based upon your physical location and how far you are from the datacenter where the server resides. The only thing you can do to reduce the latency is:

1) Move closer to the location of the server
2) Buy a better CPU (to process the packets at the NIC)
3) Buy a better modem/router (to process the packets quicker)
4) Use a wired connection (e.g. not WiFi)
5) Ensure network settings are set properly in the operating system

However, unless there is a severe issue with your hardware, both 2 and 3 have a negligible impact on latency, and it's unlikely that upgrading hardware will result in a measurable change, unless you're playing with hardware that is considered ancient by today's standards. Also, I just figured I'd throw 4 and 5 out there because I like to cover all angles, but, again, most people are already on a wired connection, and it's highly unlikely that you've been manually adjusting your network settings (the default settings are fine for the vast majority of internet users).

Finally, I'll say that even if you could reduce your latency to ~10ms or something similar, there would still be a visual delay in each window where the "leader" looks as if they're ahead of the rest of the team because of the fact that every character has to communicate with the server before the client receives that information.

Wait, I think we are talking about different things, what I'm saying is the latency that I can notice between multibox windows, not my current window itself, as in, I move my main character and the other 3 follow him but some milliseconds later.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:43 pm

Artemix wrote:Wait, I think we are talking about different things, what I'm saying is the latency that I can notice between multibox windows, not my current window itself, as in, I move my main character and the other 3 follow him but some milliseconds later.

We are talking about the same thing, and as Lax explained in his reply, this is simply a visual delay caused by latency to the server from your physical location which affects nothing related to actual gameplay. On the other hand, if you are having issues with keeping your characters in sync when simply running around in circles in town, then that is likely related to having mis-matched framerates as you mention in your first post.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:21 pm

I did think of an analogy (although it's not a perfect one).

Say you and a friend are playing chess by post, i.e. each move is written on a piece of paper and posted via mail. You each have your own chessboard with the playing positions.
When you make a move you make it immediately and update your chessboard, it might be 2 days before your friend gets the update and moves your piece to where you moved it thus syncing up the chessboards. He then makes a move and updates his board immediately, it takes another 2 days before you get that update and your boards are then syncd up again. 2 day lag is a bitch.

Now imagine doing this, but you guys are sitting in the same room, and you can see both boards, but you still have to wait for the postman to get the letter to you before you can update the board with your friends move.
<<

Artemix

Post Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:27 am

MiRai wrote:
Artemix wrote:Wait, I think we are talking about different things, what I'm saying is the latency that I can notice between multibox windows, not my current window itself, as in, I move my main character and the other 3 follow him but some milliseconds later.

We are talking about the same thing, and as Lax explained in his reply, this is simply a visual delay caused by latency to the server from your physical location which affects nothing related to actual gameplay. On the other hand, if you are having issues with keeping your characters in sync when simply running around in circles in town, then that is likely related to having mis-matched framerates as you mention in your first post.

So, you are saying that there is an actual server physically built in into -probably- InnerSpace that generates the fake orders to the rest of the clients?, yeah that would explain some minor delay.
<<

Alge

Post Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:30 am

No, the Diablo 3 server.
<<

bob

Post Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:03 am

I was wondering if perhaps we've misunderstood your "delay while broadcasting", and you are not talking about how one toons game window doesn't necessarily see the other toons move/cast/etc at the same time as you do on their other toons respective game window.

Can you elaborate on how this delay manifests?, and what actions you are doing that the others are having a delay on?
Next

Return to Diablo Series Diablo 3, Diablo Immortal, Diablo II Resurrected