FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Cannot sync chars, mouse; need help

Moderator: MiRai

<<

vrfood

Post Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:48 am

Re: Cannot sync chars, mouse; need help

Here is the diag: http://www.privatepaste.com/81abeb1f39

About the DPI, i am using 800 on a Microsoft Sidewinder mouse.

Should i try to make a video of what's actually happening? Maybe this will shine some light upon the problem.

How about the HDD read speed? Could this be an issue?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:20 pm

Your diagnostics don't really show any concerns, it mostly shows what you've got running and what of that shows up in the process. You could try shutting down other programs temporarily to see if maybe one of them is causing strange behavior, e.g. spysweeper, pandora, malwarebytes... I dunno on that one.

How about the HDD read speed? Could this be an issue?

Probably not for this particular issue, unless the clients visibly stutter due to asset loading. I don't think this is the case here

Should i try to make a video of what's actually happening? Maybe this will shine some light upon the problem.

Sure
<<

vrfood

Post Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:46 pm

I tried to make a video, but this proved to be harder than i expected. Tried with FRAPS, but it only captures the main screen. Tried with CamStudio, but it records at a lower FPS(i think) and the cursor lags, so it won't look/feel real. I noticed that inner space has a section about video, but i was unable to figure out how it works. Any suggestions here? :)

edit: here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Ejhiex ... e=youtu.be

i managed to make it with another software, but the quality isn't the best. the speed of the cursor isn't clearly visible, but the de-sync is.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:41 pm

You should really be holding down left-click and moving your characters, not clicking every single time you need to move in a certain direction. That's the only real issue I'm seeing in the video.
<<

vrfood

Post Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:59 pm

So, you say it is normal? Well, i could be holding the left mouse key and run, but as soon as i need to use my right button spell (and run in circles around champions etc) same thing will happen again. It is kinda hard to explain,tho.. i will make another video, just not right now cuz i gotta run.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:16 pm

vrfood wrote:So, you say it is normal? Well, i could be holding the left mouse key and run, but as soon as i need to use my right button spell (and run in circles around champions etc) same thing will happen again. It is kinda hard to explain,tho.. i will make another video, just not right now cuz i gotta run.

If you are click, click, clicking then you are going to de-sync no matter what. This is one of the fundamentals from the D3 Quick Start Guide

How do I keep my characters in sync?
All we can do is try to mitigate the problem, using clever tricks
  • click and hold the mouse button to move around together. (instead of click, click, click, click, which might end up moving each guy differently)
  • bunch them together most easily by using walls, especially corners.
  • hold shift for combat, so your guys don't move around randomly; Note: If you're holding Shift and clicking and your characters are not standing still, you may have missed selecting Diablo 3 on the first page of the Quick Setup Wizard. To fix this behavior, enable "Make game believe it is foreground window" in your Character Set.
  • remember to have the same movement speed!

The problem when you click, click, click is that each time you do this, each of your characters (not the cursor) is going to move TO a slightly different spot. And each time you click, the difference between the spot in the game world that the perfectly synced cursor is pointing to in each window is going to potentially be bigger and bigger. The difference of a couple of pixels can be a world of difference if one guy happens to click on a wall, and the other guy happens not to.
<<

vrfood

Post Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:23 pm

Yeah, i know about the clicking, in the video i was merely trying to show different ways leading to de-sync. Notice the de-sync as i RUN witn Tempest Rush, which is at RIGHT mouse button and is being clicked only once and held down. I can live with the no click situation and using shift. What i don't get is why the chars get de-synced when i change directions WHILE holding down the right mouse button. I think the problem is in mouse broadcasting, because when i change directions very fast, they seem to be running in different directions instead of game 2 following game 1 as it should be(in my opinion, correct me if i am wrong). I can make another specific movie, but it should be visible in the previous one; it's at the very beginning, i am not clicking anything there and after the tempest rush the de-sync is clear.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:47 pm

Okay.

In this video there's basically 2 things that appear to be contributing.

1. When you started Tempest Rush at about 0:22-0:23, it *appeared* that the mouse was already moving when you clicked to start tempest rush, which could potentially cause a difference between the two clients... But it might just be the fact that your characters are moving at higher speed and you're whipping the mouse in all different directions. You can improve the precision of mouse broadcasting by bumping your FPS *up* if this is going to be an issue for you (30 fps doesnt look like a problem, try 60?). Your guy is going to do the same as best he can, but even after this crazy maneuver your guys are still roughly togther. Your guys could potentially be doing Tempest Rush at different speeds because of different gear.

They're off by a tiny bit, then....

2. You run straight upward into a wall where one guy gets moved to the left, and one guy gets moved to the right. This is the major problem, the first part is basically nothing. When this happens you need a plan to move your guys back together. When you have only 2 guys, that pretty much involves clicking one time without broadcasting...
<<

vrfood

Post Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:48 am

Okay, i get what you say. I changed the Temp Rush button, it is now a keyboard button instead of a mouse button. I am also not moving the mouse while casting it and yes, there is an improvement in the performance. Now they tend to de-sync much less. The eq on both my chars is almost exactly the same, the MS is 100% the same. Changed FPS to 60 and cpu setting to all CPUs with every window. I am testing now, but it seems to work better this way. I will also try to find the exact settings of guys who i've seen doing the exact same thing with monks. Thanks for your assistance, it is much appreciated. I will post here if there's any further questions on my side.

Best regards
<<

vrfood

Post Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:25 pm

Okay, i made a new video, just cuz i wanna be sure that what is happening is actually normal. I know you are probably tired of this particular thing, but try to understand that it's not possible for me to distinguish between a non-existing issue (aka wrong playing style) and a real issue here. It still feels awkward to use and i imagine 4 chars would be nearly impossible to run smoothly with.

So, here is the video. Notice that i am neither clicking nor moving while casting Temp Rush; the skill is also moved to keyboard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-cdFx5h ... e=youtu.be

Video comments: 1st de-sync happens(0:14), then 1 or 2 times it does not de-sync. Then 1 more time a huge de-sync(0:54) and once again as i was entering into the keep lvl 1. All i want to know is whether this is normal or it isn't.

Strangely, sometimes when the cursor moves close to the characters, one of them stops casting the skill for a moment, causing huge de-sync. Could not figure out why that happens either, but i am fairly sure it caused the 0:14 de -sync in the video.
PreviousNext

Return to Diablo Series Diablo 3, Diablo Immortal, Diablo II Resurrected