FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Gameplay Protips

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Mahther

Post Fri May 18, 2012 7:54 pm

Gameplay Protips

I thought a thread dedicated to tips for multiboxing D3 would be useful. If anyone has any, please share.

My tips:
DO NOT let your items sit on the ground for long. White items seem to decay after about ten minutes in town, this includes gems and pages. I found out the hard, expensive way.
Stack your master characters hitpoints. This will help when you need to resurrect anyone that dies during battle. It can be disorienting when you need to res from a slaves screen.
Use an upgrade waterfall. Give all the items to one character and decide what is best for them, then drop everything that wasn't equipped and do the same with the next character, and so on.
Upgrade the blacksmith and jeweler on one account only. There is no need to spend the gold on the others, everything can be traded.
Make mules, upgrade stash sparingly. Store gear on a bunch of lvl 1 characters. This saves gold at the expense of time.
Last edited by Mahther on Sat May 19, 2012 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

yeaimjason

Post Fri May 18, 2012 10:08 pm

Re: Gameplay Protips

Good tips, I've been gearing out one character as well for the same reason. I finally got fed up with switching to other slaves. You really do need to spend a lot of time on the AH looking for deals, if you hit search over and over (obviously when the AH server is not lagging) stuff gets posted fast. I also stick with very low buyouts snipe for good deals.

I am playing four doctors and generally I go into a pile of mobs and hit Soul Harvest (With the HP rune) to get five stacks, after that pull out and let your 12 dogs (life link)/ 4 Gargantuan ( Restless Giant) get aggro on everything and then Dire Bat everything down. I've been playing with Acid Cloud (Acid Rain) I'm undecided on which is better.

Currently I'm about to finish Nightmare act two, now that I've got all my shortcuts and used to doing it I'm moving much faster. I have four boxed all bosses up to Be'lial (spelling?), I had to solo him on each account. To make soloing it the easiest take your best loot (like said in the previews post) and give your gear to the next character to solo it.

I'm curious to hear if anyone has done the melee classes or any other ranged.
<<

venom1stas

Post Sat May 19, 2012 2:20 am

Four boxing monks finishing normal.

Heres my pro-tip:
On Normal dont loot anything that you wont use (i.e gear for other classes/specs). If you need to craft just buy crafting mats in AH (they are stupidly cheap like 5k gold for 100x substances). You will spend WAY too much time switching windows, picking blues, sorting inventory, checking stats for each toon. Its not worth it (at least in Normal)
<<

Mahther

Post Sat May 19, 2012 3:29 am

Don't leave your items on the ground, updated OP.
<<

yeaimjason

Post Sun May 20, 2012 6:40 am

I took a break from Quad boxing. I stopped at level 45 Nightmare Mode Act 3. Looting is a pain and the only time I do it is when I notice a Rare on the ground.

If you cant keep all of your characters up to date I highly recommend getting one character to 60 and into Inferno mode. I just beat Diablo on Hell and am barely able to keep my main geared let alone 4 others.
<<

Mahther

Post Sun May 20, 2012 9:57 am

Any game you multibox will require more time to upkeep your characters. Maybe you could try dual boxing instead to relieve some of the frustration.
<<

venom1stas

Post Sun May 20, 2012 1:39 pm

In theory multiboxing offers a better chance to beat inferno.
With quad box you have 4x drops, and your characters share loot meaning if char 1,2 have awesome boots and they find more awesome boots you can pass them to char 3 and 4. Single player cant do that. Also synergies. 4 characters offer 4 times buffs and debuffs than one character.
With perfect controll and skill multiboxer can only be beaten by a highly skilled team thats set up really well.

But they'll only get 1/4 of the loot you will ;)
<<

silicur

Post Sun May 20, 2012 5:58 pm

Well I'm slow, and am just now getting through Normal, so take this with a grain of salt...

my pro tip relates to dispensing of loot... for bosses I switch to each toon to make sure I grabbed all the stuff. generally speaking I just look for a blue and grab it with the alts. I'm not gonna sweat a few missed gems/blues. Not the end of the world..

When they fill up, I go to town, and to the blacksmith. anything my team can't wear, I salvage. [this is a laziness thing]. then for each, I compare what they have to what they are wearing. just a quick once over, do they get +life, or +damage or +protection. then does it conflict with something like magic find [tho I don't sweat that too much] or movement speed. [gotta keep everyone at a similar % of movement speed...]. Anything that doesn't' fit those criteria gets salvaged. [In fact, I do this with the salvage thing selected. then I drop any replaced gear/the essences and move on. Doesn't take that long at all. then I go see whats left.

I don't see the point in agonizing over point values... and I figure once I get high level and decently geared, it will just be a matter of IDing things that are either rare, or sell well; and trashing the rest.

Its functionally similar to the idea of "Twinking" the main and then letting it fall down, but faster. [sides, if none of the gear is an upgrade for the toon in question, how are they possibly going to upgrade the main?]
<<

Mercbeast

Post Tue May 22, 2012 8:55 pm

yeaimjason wrote:I took a break from Quad boxing. I stopped at level 45 Nightmare Mode Act 3. Looting is a pain and the only time I do it is when I notice a Rare on the ground.

If you cant keep all of your characters up to date I highly recommend getting one character to 60 and into Inferno mode. I just beat Diablo on Hell and am barely able to keep my main geared let alone 4 others.

What I would do is, speed run for gold, build up huge +gold suits for your guys and just rake in the cash. Buff one character out at a time.
<<

yeaimjason

Post Fri May 25, 2012 4:46 am

Mercbeast wrote:
yeaimjason wrote:I took a break from Quad boxing. I stopped at level 45 Nightmare Mode Act 3. Looting is a pain and the only time I do it is when I notice a Rare on the ground.

What I would do is, speed run for gold, build up huge +gold suits for your guys and just rake in the cash. Buff one character out at a time.

All of my WD's are 60 and can Enter Inferno. I found some really great farming techniques and spend most of my time on my 40k damage WD. I have some thoughts and ideas I want to try out before jumping into Inferno. Gold find is great to a fault; nightmare/hell Cow level (Pony level I know) is great I generally get 25-30k per character in nightmare. Normally the gold items are pure crap and not worth picking up, most people are past the nightmare level curve so those items are in less demand. With that said farming 300-400k gold an hour is decent but you can farm way more with one toon in act 4 Inferno (800+ damage weps go for alot).

I'll update if I've accomplished any rare spawns in Inferno with 4 WD's. A lot of my friends have been bugging me to get a twitch account setup I may do that!
Next

Return to Diablo Series Diablo 3, Diablo Immortal, Diablo II Resurrected