FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Memory use seems to have increased

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Wizeowel

Post Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:16 am

Memory use seems to have increased

Hello :)

I have been 5-boxing this last week with ISBoxer and it went well on my system. I decided to get serious about multiboxing and convinced myself to buy myself a new 4K monitor.

However now I don't seem to have enough memory for running 5 toons. I'm at the office right now, so can't doublecheck, but if I remember from last night, just running a single toon via the BattleNet launcher then wow.exe is using about 1.5GB. But when I started InnerSpace and load up my team, each Wow.exe was like 2-3GB, and that's just standing in the inn. Because I only have 16GB then everything slows to a crawl as Windows starts swapping to pagefile.

Maybe it's the higher resolution, maybe it's the new patch, or something else. I will try tonight with the old 1920x1080 monitor again, but is there anything else I can check?

Or do I realistically just need to have 32GB ram if I want a smooth 5-box experience?
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:32 pm

Re: Memory use seems to have increased

Moving from 1920x1080 to 3840x2160 is a 300% increase in pixel count, and requires that you've got capable hardware to push that. If you don't, then you're going to run into problems, like what you're seeing with the increased RAM usage. Also, depending on your CPU and GPU, those two components may also be sweating, and you can figure this out by monitoring your hardware (I don't know if you've done this yet).

Your current options are to:

1) Reduce in-game settings
2) Reduce the resolution your game clients are running by creating a new Window Layout using either the "3D Render" and/or "Main Window Size" options
3) Upgrade your RAM to 32GB
<<

Wizeowel

Post Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:40 am

Re: Memory use seems to have increased

Hi MiRai thanks for your reply. I've been watching your videos on the Pro system and found them very useful :)

I tested my system last night when I got home. First hotfixed WoW, patched ISBoxer and removed all WTF files and started with a completely clean ISBoxer setup. Wizard to make 4K layout with DX12.

I was surprised to find now the RAM usage was again around 1.6GB-2.0GB again per wow.exe regardless of graphics resolution. So I don't know what was wrong on Wednesday but panic over now. Nevertheless I did order 2 sticks of 16GB ram to give myself more headroom and avoid such issues in future.

Yes, the GPU is working a little bit harder with 5 toons in 4K, but I don't mind playing on lower settings while multiboxing.

Return to World of Warcraft