FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Camera changes to top-down view on window switch

Moderator: MiRai

<<

gmaba001

Post Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:01 pm

Camera changes to top-down view on window switch

Hi!

Whenever I switch windows, the camera is always changes to top-down view right over my character. It's quite disorienting. I've looked around and it seems the only thread with a similar issue is this one.
lax wrote:In the top pane in ISBoxer select your Window Layout. Then in the bottom right pane find "When I click to focus a window, the game should" and set the drop-down box to "ignore the click"

I have tried the above method that lax posted but it didn't work. I've also set the camera and camera(on mouse CTM) to 'never adjust camera'.

For what it's worth, this issue only surfaces when I switch windows by clicking on the secondary windows. If I switch by clicking on tabs in the windows taskbar, there are no camera issues (i.e. it picks up from where i left it)
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Camera changes to top-down view on window switch

Have you by chance set something in your profile to trigger a camera view change? i.e. do you have a macro which might be doing this, either configured in ISBoxer or maybe in game?
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:42 pm

My guess is that either the windows display scaling may be set to something other than 100%, or the mouse DPI settings are possibly affecting this.
<<

gmaba001

Post Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:37 pm

bob wrote:Have you by chance set something in your profile to trigger a camera view change? i.e. do you have a macro which might be doing this, either configured in ISBoxer or maybe in game?

Definitely not in-game. I'm not sure about ISBoxer since this is my first day using it and only set it up following the quick-start video guide. I could have touched something I wasn't supposed to, but I can't tell :?

MiRai wrote:My guess is that either the windows display scaling may be set to something other than 100%, or the mouse DPI settings are possibly affecting this.

Is [windows display scaling] something I can set in ISBoxer or do I look somewhere else? I'm assuming to configure mouse DPI in windows, but if there a setting in ISBoxer please let me know. I'm an idiotboxer.
<<

bob

Post Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:53 pm

Windows display scaling is a Windows setting.
<<

gmaba001

Post Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:18 am

I've set the window scaling to 100%. I've also tried unplugging my second monitor to see how it performs on a single monitor. But neither works. I have a generic mouse that doesn't use third-party drivers so there are no dpi settings to tune. Unless I need to adjust sensitivity?

This is going to sound strange, but I've been able to reduce the occurrence rate of the problem by releasing my movement key just before clicking on a secondary window. The camera will shift to top-down only about 10% of the time if I release 'w' a fraction of second before the mouse click. It takes a bit of practice, but I've been able to get quite consistent and reproducible results (both negative and positive).

Can't figure out why it behaves like this.
<<

bob

Post Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:51 am

If keys are not in a released state before switching windows, then things get rather confusing as the new game window doesn't know that key is down, yet all of a sudden it gets an input stream (repeating key being held), or a Key Up, with no initial Key Down. Most of the time, it actually works OK, but definitely something is it is preferable for you NOT to be holding down keys while window switching (an exception to this is the global hotkeys used to switch windows - they're handled differently).

Also, if you have changed the display scaling on the computer, then you should probably create a new window layout in the toolkit for your character set so there are no shenanigans with attempts to compensate for the scaling. You can use the Window Layout Wizard for this. Don't choose one which says it is "existing", as that's not new.
<<

gmaba001

Post Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:28 am

Created a new layout without the taskbar this time. Problem persists

bob wrote:If keys are not in a released state before switching windows, then things get rather confusing as the new game window doesn't know that key is down, yet all of a sudden it gets an input stream (repeating key being held), or a Key Up, with no initial Key Down. Most of the time, it actually works OK, but definitely something is it is preferable for you NOT to be holding down keys while window switching (an exception to this is the global hotkeys used to switch windows - they're handled differently)

Sorry, I think my explanation wasn't clear. Yes, the problem occurs when I hold my movement keys through window switches. But the odd thing is that I also get the problem if I release the movement key too early. Like if I release 'w', let all my characters come to a stop, then click on a window to switch, the camera will adjust to a top-down view. I can get it to not auto-adjust if I release 'w' a fraction of a second before clicking (almost simultaneous). I'm utterly puzzled why though...

On the plus side, I'm kind of getting the hang of it though, so I can still play. It's okay in the open world, but not sure how it would be instances. Don't want the camera spazzing out on me during the more intense scenarios :D

Return to World of Warcraft