FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

WOW will not launch

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Blizzwhite01

Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:07 pm

WOW will not launch

Hi and thanks for all the responses below!

I've recently re-installed ISBoxer after having it uninstalled on a rig for about 3 years. Since then the OS went from win7 -- win10.
I need some help on troubleshooting getting wow to boot. I can't get all the wow.exes on a character set launch. However, I can get a single account to almost boot, but it hangs.
Any advice is welcome! Thanks!

Symptoms:
1. When starting from sys tray, "ISBoxer Character Sets", wow fails to start and is not listed in task manager.
2. When starting from sys tray, "ISBoxer Charcter Set Slots", wow hangs on boot, e.g. the screen never pops but it's running in the task manager.

Here's a logs for the following:
Compatibility Log: https://pastebin.com/DJSY9XBB
Trace for when trying to launch a single character: https://pastebin.com/eCVJnN1b
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:52 pm

Re: WOW will not launch

You can try:

1) Disabling nVidia Share (you can re-enable it after a successful launch)
2) Reverting to an older build of Inner Space
<<

Blizzwhite01

Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:31 pm

Thank you, but unfortunately it did not work =\
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:41 pm

Inner Space build 6255 is now available as a development build, and includes compatibility fixes that may help. To try it out, right click Inner Space and select Patcher, tick "Download development (test) patches" and then close and restart Inner Space to let it patch up. Let us know :)
<<

Blizzwhite01

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:55 pm

I'm unfortunately still unsuccessful.

I downloaded the latest patches (thanks!)

I managed to get 4 or the 5 wows launched. However, I could not get the final one to launch. Also, getting the other 4 to launch required the following steps:

Opening task manager
Killing previously hung wow.exe (14,000kb RAM when hung/partially launched...actually runs at 440,000K RAM when properly launched)
single launching character again...
kill...
again...
kill...again...WIN!

Did that for about an hour or so... It may not be an IS problem... I'm running it on a BC clone. I tried messing around with the properties of wow.exe and checked compatibility. Win8 is latest avail...my OS is Win10...it runs fine with a single window.

Not really sure what to do. I might try a diff clone from a later exp with a win10 compliance option. not sure if that's gonna get me much but spending time on a long dl and such...

Thanks for the help.
<<

Blizzwhite01

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:43 pm

Anyone familiar with a way of determining why an app is hanging? I'd like to figure out what's occasionally blocking wow.exe from fully launching
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:16 pm

The main method is to take a memory dump and check it out via WinDebug, and seeing where in the stack trace it is, or at least what each thread is doing. It's a bit of an artform, to diagnose this way, and requires a fair bit of knowledge to understand what is going on.

In your particular case, you are using an older version of WoW, which was before the rather large rewrite of InnerSpace to cope with v7.
If you get the same issue with an older version of InnerSpace, say build 6174, which was quite stable and had no issues with WoW, and was before the large rewrite, then the issue is probably within InnerSpace, but some other software compatibility issue, that is not obvious in your diagnostics.

If you PC has not been clean installed, then I'd do that, or at the very least a "sfc /scannow" from the command prompt.
<<

Blizzwhite01

Post Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:08 pm

I reinstalled win10 and it resolved this issue.

Thanks all.

Return to World of Warcraft