FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Multi-target spells and target party leader

Moderator: MiRai

<<

ivoxyy

Post Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:09 pm

Multi-target spells and target party leader

I have two small problems, I am setting up pro configuration, and everything seems to be working fine, I am able to use combat hotkeys to properly cast a spell using virtual mapped keys, however I have penance(multi-target ability, ally/enemy) set up to cast, and when it does it doesn't cast on my leader's target and will cast on self.

My second inquiry is when I was using the wizard to set up pro configuration under MMO Party Mechanics there was a binding for "Target Party Leader", and I wasn't sure how to bind that as I couldn't find anything in they keybindings in-game.

Thanks for any input, I'd be more than willing to upload a profile if necessary.
oxy
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:06 am

Re: Multi-target spells and target party leader

ivoxyy wrote:I have two small problems, I am setting up pro configuration, and everything seems to be working fine, I am able to use combat hotkeys to properly cast a spell using virtual mapped keys, however I have penance(multi-target ability, ally/enemy) set up to cast, and when it does it doesn't cast on my leader's target and will cast on self.

You're using a macro with conditionals or you're just trying to use the ability straight up? If it's the latter, then you need an assist in there before the leader's target will be used. Is an assist included? You may want to share your profile.

ivoxyy wrote:My second inquiry is when I was using the wizard to set up pro configuration under MMO Party Mechanics there was a binding for "Target Party Leader", and I wasn't sure how to bind that as I couldn't find anything in they keybindings in-game.

If you want to use that Mapped Key then you'd need to set up the Variable Keystrokes that it uses, but, by default, WoW isn't set up to use Variable Keystrokes other than Interact with Target and movement keys for formations. In my opinion, there's no reason to use that Mapped Key with WoW because it already uses a superior setup, and assuming you have a proper assist included in your rotation, as noted above, then your characters will be properly picking up the target you want them to be.
<<

ivoxyy

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:08 pm

I had the penance set up as a keystroke action from my classes' virtual key map using a hotkey. i.e. pressing dps rotation(1) would keystroke Alt+1 to the priest, hitting the spell. I would expect it to assist leader's target, but it cast's on self(no macro).

I am a little confused about assist as well.. It's not necessary to use assist hotkeys unless I have abilities macro'd?
@7:53 I've not actually experienced having to use the assist hotkeys in game, usually as I attack my rotation is just sent to the other windows via mapped keys.

I'll ignore the TPL, as you mentioned everything has been working just fine without it, I just thought maybe some of the problems I've been having with assisting might have been related, but it's obviously not.

Thanks for the videos and fine explanations, I'm pretty stoked to have gotten this far.

Hypothetically, if you used the mouseover click bar to activate/deactivate a key map, couldn't those be hot keyed to keyboard buttons which in turn could utilize mouseover macros? Similar to how clique operates?
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:00 pm

ivoxyy wrote:Profile
I had the penance set up as a keystroke action from my classes' virtual key map using a hotkey. i.e. pressing dps rotation(1) would keystroke Alt+1 to the priest, hitting the spell. I would expect it to assist leader's target, but it cast's on self(no macro).

I am a little confused about assist as well.. It's not necessary to use assist hotkeys unless I have abilities macro'd?

No. My original question was missing some clarification, but your profile gives the answer. This is the key:

ivoxyy wrote:I would expect it to assist leader's target, but it cast's on self(no macro).

At this point, my question to you is: Why? Why would you expect any other character in your party to pick up your main's target? I'm not trying to make you feel dumb, I'm trying to make you question the process.

The way you have it set up is that in Combat Hotkeys you're pressing the "1" key. The Actions in that Mapped Key dictate what happens next, and there's only one Action in there that connects to Virtual Combat. Virtual Combat is virtualized into the Class Key Map, and in there you're sending the "1" key to the Priest (for what I'll assume is Penance). At no point throughout that chain is any other key being sent—just the "1" key.

So, now that it's broken down like that, at what point is the Priest ever told to assist the character you're playing from? If you aren't hard-coding in "/assist PlayerName" inside a Penance macro on your Priest (which I don't recommend), then at no point during all of this is the Priest ever told to grab the leader's target. Which brings us to this...

ivoxyy wrote:I've not actually experienced having to use the assist hotkeys in game, usually as I attack my rotation is just sent to the other windows via mapped keys.

I'll assume this is because you've only used the MMO:Standard template prior to this, and that template will automatically integrate assist into your Mapped Keys if you select the "auto-assist" setting on the final step of the Wizard (which is what I recommend in my Quick Setup Wizard video because it makes things easy for new players). Now that you've move to the Pro System, you will need to make the decision to either press the assist Hotkey you have assigned in Base Hotkeys each time you acquire a target, or add a "Do Mapped Key" Action into each of the Mapped Keys of your "Combat Hotkeys" Key Map, and then point it at the "Assist Me" Mapped Key in Base Hotkeys so that your characters assist the main.

I don't have time to re-watch the entire series at the moment, but quickly moving through some of the first two videos, I don't see where I talk about an assist (nor do I show how to integrate one). Clearly an oversight on my part when I created the video series years ago.

ivoxyy wrote:Hypothetically, if you used the mouseover click bar to activate/deactivate a key map, couldn't those be hot keyed to keyboard buttons which in turn could utilize mouseover macros? Similar to how clique operates?

If I'm understanding your question correctly, yes.
<<

ivoxyy

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Excellent, you're totally right, I hella appreciate your replies man.

That makes a lot of sense, and I see that it's just personal preference as to how I continue on with Assist.

I realized that assist me would be used in the pro configuration but hadn't give much though because of the way combat broadcasting had been working smoothly at this low of a level(less spells and such).

This is rad, I apologize for having overlooked the assist me functions and I certainly will play around with it to find my niche.

I might add that having gone the pro route has already doubled my understanding of the way ISBoxer works, and I am super grateful to have had help with the videos and your input here, big thanks to you, all the mods, community, and ISBoxer for a place to receive help in a timely and supportive manner.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:01 pm

Yeah, it comes down to personal preference, as a lot of things in ISBoxer do. Once you graduate to the Pro System it's kind of assumed that you are semi-familiar with the Actions found inside of Mapped Keys and how they can (mostly) be used (even after several years I still don't know how all of them work), and that's why the step-by-step "hand holding," generally found in my beginner/new player tutorial videos, is absent from Pro System stuff. Regardless, if you need help with setting something up, then just ask. :)

Return to World of Warcraft