FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Up to date key/action examples?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

lazygirl

Post Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:13 am

Up to date key/action examples?

Hi all,

I am coming back to boxing WoW after spending the last five years on swtor (also multiboxing). So I'm very comfortable with isboxer itself, but times have clearly changed in Warcraft. All of my boxing profiles still have most of the logic embedded in the macros, which no longer works (to say nothing of the abilities all being drastically different now).

Can someone recommend a good place to look for examples of people's setups that are relatively fresh?

I'm specifically trying to check my logic on the following:

In swtor if I wanted to cast BigSpell whenever it was off cooldown, and fill in with FillerSpell until BIgSpell came off cooldown, I'd create one Step that had two actions:
--Do BigSpell in MyKeyMap ->Self
--Do FillerSpell in MyKeyMap -> Self

...and because of the way key fallthrough works in swtor, if I just kept mashing that button, it had the desired effect. (Albeit with a lot of error messages.)

However, last time I played Wow (showing how long ago that was), you could do that all with a single macro:
/cast BigSpell
/cast Fillerspell
Not anymore.

From my initial testing, it looks like that approach of 2 actions in one Step also works in WoW even though it won't work as a macro.
Is that right?

thanks!
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:43 am

Re: Up to date key/action examples?

lazygirl wrote:Can someone recommend a good place to look for examples of people's setups that are relatively fresh?

There is no repository where such a thing exists. The biggest problem with sharing complex profiles that have been custom tailored for the individual who built it, is that everyone else who looks at it usually has to spend days decoding the thing before they understand it, and by then it'd likely be quicker for you (whomever) to just figure out what you like and build it yourself.

However, I can understand that there are some who like to analyze others' profiles and what not, but most are just looking for a quick and easy pre-built setup (which probably isn't going to work for them the way they think it will).

lazygirl wrote:I'm specifically trying to check my logic on the following:

In swtor if I wanted to cast BigSpell whenever it was off cooldown, and fill in with FillerSpell until BIgSpell came off cooldown, I'd create one Step that had two actions:
--Do BigSpell in MyKeyMap ->Self
--Do FillerSpell in MyKeyMap -> Self

...and because of the way key fallthrough works in swtor, if I just kept mashing that button, it had the desired effect. (Albeit with a lot of error messages.)

However, last time I played Wow (showing how long ago that was), you could do that all with a single macro:
/cast BigSpell
/cast Fillerspell
Not anymore.

Those two setups are different, and I really can't remember a time when Blizzard truly allowed fall-through macros like in your example. I'm sure you could/still can get away with it with certain spells or abilities due to the GCD, but, for the most part, that doesn't work.

I may be remembering incorrectly, but I can remember comparing RIFT's macro system to WoW, since RIFT has always allowed fall-through macros, for which I've praised it time and time again for that aspect alone.

lazygirl wrote:From my initial testing, it looks like that approach of 2 actions in one Step also works in WoW even though it won't work as a macro.
Is that right?

Correct.

EDIT: I forgot to add that you might want to look into an add-on called Gnome Sequencer, which can do what you want with macros.
<<

lazygirl

Post Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:58 pm

Perfect, thank you so much!

I will also check out gnome sequencer, thanks for the tip. :)
<<

Smedbox

Post Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:49 pm

Just wanted to add another tip about macros in WoW: conditionals.

In a WoW macro, you can set it up to cast a different spell on a different character depending on different conditions. Unfortunately cooldown is not a valid condition you can check for, but you can check for many other things (like if a character is indoors, outdoors, in-combat, dead/alive, in a certain form, is mounted, etc).

You can set up a macro to perform an action only if certain conditions are met for the currently selected target. An important thing about this is that you can switch out the "currently selected target" to something else instead, like a named character or the Focus target or whatever you're hovering the mouse over.

So for my healer, I have it set up to heal my tank by default. But if I just hover my mouse over another character in the group window, the healer will heal that character instead. That way I don't have to mouse-click anything or press any special buttons to heal at all. In Isboxer, most of my buttons are set up to sync the mouse cursor on keydown and send a keypress to WoW on keyup. In WoW, the healer has macros like this:

/use [@mouseover,help,nodead,exists][help,nodead][@NAMEOFMYTANK,exists][@player] Flash of Light

Another thing I find useful in all MMOs is that I sync mouse cursor and broadcast left or right mouse-clicks when I hold down ALT and mouse-click. This makes it very quick and easy to do occasional clicks, like an OK button for all my characters, clicking a quest item, using portals, or mining resource nodes (Legion), etc. One click to rule them all, instead of having to go through extra steps to turn broadcast on/off, etc.

I like gamepedia for WoW macro documention:
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Macro_API
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Macro_conditionals

Return to World of Warcraft