FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Sending abilities to other windows using... click bars?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

UnloosedDisc

Post Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:14 pm

Sending abilities to other windows using... click bars?

Is it possible to hover your cursor over a party unit frame press a hotkey and have it send a key press to the client my cursor is over? I'm assuming this would require a click bar? To give you an idea of what im trying to accomplish; I want to be able to use my hunter's defensive abilities from my tank and not use them all at the same time. So if one of my hunters is about to die i can place my cursor over their unit frame (on my tank) press a hotkey and have it send a key press to that hunter's window to use the defensive ability. I would also rather not have the hotkey be a mouse click. Can anyone give me a brief idea of how to set this kind of thing up?
"Sorry if wrong section" - Me (Forum Noob)
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:36 pm

Re: Sending abilities to other windows using... click bars?

Is it possible to hover your cursor over a party unit frame press a hotkey and have it send a key press to the client my cursor is over?

If you want a quick and easy solution, you can likely use Repeater Regions for what you're after: http://isboxer.com/wiki/Repeater_Region

This would allow you to put your cursor over the unit frame, and pass keys or mouse clicks to a particular window.
<<

Shnottz

Post Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:21 pm

Re: Sending abilities to other windows using... click bars?

Since lax covered the easier way, here's the #waytoomuchfreetime way to address what you're looking for

I've set up a small set of click bars for each team that send macros/commands to WoW for each character. At first I just had it spam the same action to all characters at once , which makes sense with things like defensive procs for dungeon/raids, but maybe not so much for things like health pots/heals. More recently I've added modifiers to the click bars (like alt-click sends to all melee or all ranged), which helps a lot with the individual control and ability of the team. Handy as it's turned out to be, it took a lot of time to set up in any kind of meaningful, sensible manner, and remembering the right binds for the right toon/class/team/etc can be a bit of a cluster-f#%k under duress.

Click bars are great - the challenge is finding a practical way for YOU to use them. They can be amazingly versatile and useful, if you have an actual reason to use them. Starting easy with something i could have easily accomplished with a broadcasting key and building up and out from there made it a lot easier to organize and set up, so, maybe try setting up a simple action like character (or slot) specific bars that will trigger defensive procs to individual toons. You can find the wow media files (for icons etc) on github, or use your own. Since I have the artistic talent of a drunken 4 year old, i opted for the former to use in the click bar buttons.

I'd share some screenshots, but we're still awaiting the fix for 7.3 compatability (thanks for the hard work lax!!!), so I'll toss some pics up when that glorious moment arrives. Give me (or someone who might offer a better answer!) a shout if you got any questions :)

Return to World of Warcraft