FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

[help] WoW Macro Set naming scheme

Moderator: MiRai

<<

JackBurton

Post Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:46 pm

[help] WoW Macro Set naming scheme

I keep all my macros in isboxer's game helper feature. I keep many separate macro sets one for each family of abilities and UI functions. I strongly believe this helps down the road when tweaks , and troubleshooting need to be made. I'd like to hear from those of you that are like minded on how you organize and name this portion of isobxer.

Examples of Macro Sets
[Class] - [Spec] - [Purpose]
Monk - WW - Damage - Single
Monk - WW - Damage - Multiple
Monk - WW - Damage Reduction (heals, bubbles, absorbs)
Monk - WW - Performance (offensive cooldowns and resource recovery)
Monk - WW - Crowd Control (stuns, snares, interrupts)
Monk - WW - Mobility (gates, sprints, blink, Root Breaks)

My naming scheme for macros that all characters use
Racials (Arcane Torrent, War Stomp)
Pet Commands (pet attack, pet assist, pet passive, pet dismiss)
Interface (open trade, accept trade, smartbuff, resetinstance, reloadui)
Follow & Jamba (invite team, follow FTL, JambaStrobe On, Jamba Strobe off)
Targeting (target FTL, NextEnemy, Stop Attacking, Clear Focus, Target Corpse)
Audio Visual (Camera 1-5, sound off, sound on, Graphics low, Graphics Med, Graphics High)
Interact with Target (Assist FTL, CTM on, CTM off)
Assist (asssit FTL, assist and hold, assist focus, assist queing)
<<

JackBurton

Post Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:01 pm

Re: [help] ISO standard naming scheme

21 views and not a single piece of advice or snared snippet?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ccgcgsol187t ... d.xml?dl=0
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:16 pm

Re: [help] WoW Macro Set naming scheme

I don't think I'm like-minded, so I wouldn't think you want me to respond. I think a lot of people will fall into that category. Your post was also in the General subforum with a title unrelated to WoW or Macro Sets so most of those views are probably from general readers wondering what it's about. I renamed and moved it for you so that will be less of an issue...

My layout is much simpler. I have exactly one WoW Macro Set per class, and most of the macros in them cover a single spell so I name it the same as the spell. There's a small handful of parts of rotations and such that use /castsequence, those I just name like "DPS Rotation".

And I don't necessarily use WoW Macros for everything these days. When building out my Pro Config I've actually been using a lot of Keystroke Actions, because I don't really move things around on my Action Bars enough to make it worth fidgeting over a ton of WoW Macros that each just use one ability. 99% of my Action Bar buttons are always going to have the same thing. Granted, it is harder to notice "3 -> self" being the wrong key than "Stun -> self" being the wrong spell.

So regarding your method, it sounds like you've got like 6 WoW Macro Sets *per spec*. 3 specs per class, 11 classes ... 198 WoW Macro Sets if you covered all of them. To me that doesn't sound better for troubleshooting or tweaks than having one WoW Macro Set for all Monk abilities.

Plus it sounds like you'd be duplicating WoW macros in a lot of cases -- for example, all 3 Monk specs can use Jab, and from what you've described this would go in 3 separate WoW Macro Sets all for Monks -- "Monk - WW - Damage - Single", "Monk - MW - Damage - Single", and "Monk - BM - Damage - Single".

To that end I would say, why not just put your naming scheme inside class-specific WoW Macro Sets instead of making tons of spec-specific ones? Then under the Monk set you might have "Common - ST Damage - Jab", "WW - AOE Damage - Keg Smash", etc. You have 11 WoW Macro Sets to cover all classes and specs instead of 198, no duplicate macros, and still keep a naming scheme like you want.

For the rest of your WoW Macro Sets, none of the above is really important -- it sounds fine the way you're doing those.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:39 pm

lax wrote:My layout is much simpler. I have exactly one WoW Macro Set per class, and most of the macros in them cover a single spell so I name it the same as the spell. There's a small handful of parts of rotations and such that use /castsequence, those I just name like "DPS Rotation".

This is exactly how I do it.

As far as I know, views are not unique, which means that you can refresh a post 30 times in a row to add 30 views to it.
<<

JackBurton

Post Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:10 pm

As far as I know, views are not unique, which means that you can refresh a post 30 times in a row to add 30 views to it.[/quote]

I'm aware of that and for that very reason l only refresh the root index to measure views and check on possible replys.

So regarding your method, it sounds like you've got like 6 WoW Macro Sets *per spec*. 3 specs per class, 11 classes ... 198 WoW Macro Sets if you covered all of them. To me that doesn't sound better for troubleshooting or tweaks than having one WoW Macro Set for all Monk abilities.

The listed naming format was there as a kind of devils advocate or a breadcrumb trail just to get people talking. In all actuality I do not have 6 macro sets per spec and 18 macro sets per class. I have one main team that i spend alot of time tweaking, and a bunch of alts that only have one or two macro sets similar to the way you guys described. Look at the profile for yourself i added the file it to the second post.

To that end I would say, why not just put your naming scheme inside class-specific WoW Macro Sets instead of making tons of spec-specific ones? Then under the Monk set you might have "Common - ST Damage - Jab", "WW - AOE Damage - Keg Smash", etc. You have 11 WoW Macro Sets to cover all classes and specs instead of 198, no duplicate macros, and still keep a naming scheme like you want.

The monk for example. the differnt specs all share many abilties but some are macroed difernt to be more effective. for exampe a tank monk would start chi wave targeting himself for an extra tic of self healing, while a dps monk would target an enemy for the first tick of healing.

examples:
Code:
Tank Taunt
/cast [target=focus , exists] Provoke
/cast Provoke

DPS Taunt marks the target a lower priority.
Code:
/cast Provoke
/startattack
/script SetRaidTarget("target", 7)

DPS Chi Wave only cast in combat to prevent accidentally snagging a nearby roaming add right after combat because im spaming the dps key.
Code:
/castsequence [combat]  reset=combat/2 Chi Wave, null
/startattack

Tank Chi Wave bounces 7 times so targeting myself I get a good chance at 4 heals instead of only 3.
Code:
/castsequence [nochanneling, @player]  reset=combat/2 Chi Wave, null
/startattack
<<

hpavc

Post Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:30 pm

Mine are ...

Code:
Game Helper
+Class_${class}_${spec}
-DPS Burst
-DPS Grind Single
-DPS Grind Multi
-DPS Ground
-Heal Defense
-CC Stun
-CC Interrrupt
+Role_${role}
-Tank Taunt
+ATG_${atg}
-InsaneMembrane

... Role and ATG are few, but called from the actual Class macros, this is sort of making 'half-pro' throw back configuration as its a bit easier for tuning to see the macro shared between specs (prot warrior and prot palain) for me while working it out. I am also not thrilled about changing virtual mappings dynamically so its easier for ATG for me.

Return to World of Warcraft