FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

WoW Resolution games - dual monitor dualbox?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

xk00zx

Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:57 am

WoW Resolution games - dual monitor dualbox?

So - I have two Viewsonic Monitors, one running at 1920x1080, (27") and another running at 1680x1050 (22")

I would like to run 2 characters in WoW, with the main on my 27, and the alt on my 22.

I figured to reduce stretching that I would have to set the window area to be 1680x945 on my 22 to prevent vertical or horizontal stretching, and just to more or less shrink it to the smaller size.

I have tried everything I can to get the two windows to just mirror each other, but the client insists on changing my resolution settings - regardless of what I have them setup when I launch without Inner Space, or what I set them to after (then reloading the character sets afterword to fix the window position).

I don't understand quite why it is coded this way, but the only way that I can get the menu bar to line up on my skills is by setting the resolution on my main monitor to 1920x1080. this ends up screwing up all sorts of other things as far as lining things up on the second window, as WoW does not have that option for the resolution on my second monitor, and picks a different resolution. If I choose a different resolution (say 1680x1050 for both) the menu bar for my hotkeys (1 thru =) do not match.

Setting the resolution to "windowed fullscreen" just adopts the native resolution and wasted a couple hours of my time figuring out that it was going off of the monitor resolution, not the window that I had the ISBoxer Suite window sized for - causing all sorts of havoc, again, with lining things up between the windows.

I'm not sure what I had going yesterday, but my very basic setup left me with fairly blurry text on my 22" monitor, but everything lined up when i hit sync for the overlays, and the mouse was spot on. Trying to clean up the resolution I'm afraid I have gone past the point of no return.

I've been at this for the last 3 hours and I'm officially done for the night.

In my attempts to troubleshoot this, I have reset every resolution setting known to man in and out of game, cleared the ISBoxer Suite out multiple times, deleting everything starting from scratch, logged into my accounts and wiped every setting I could find, - I haven't reinstalled my game or formatted the PC yet, but... that's about all I can see is left. that or running my 27" monitor on the same resolution as the 22" - i'll demand a refund before that is my fix however.

1920x1080 translates directly to 1680x1050 - this is so much like having PIP on one monitor that it should be simple to setup but it is proving to be completely beyond my ability. What am I overlooking? A completely basic install with no custom settings from the wizard should accomplish this I would hope?

What one of my CFGs look like:
http://www.privatepaste.com/1e19bcb58a
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:56 am

Re: WoW Resolution games - dual monitor dualbox?

Regardless of the fact that 1920x1080 and 1680x945 use the same aspect ratio, they're not the same resolution. If you're not matching up the resolutions between the game clients then you can expect parts of the UI to be in different areas on each screen, which you've already found out:

the only way that I can get the menu bar to line up on my skills is by setting the resolution on my main monitor to 1920x1080

You have two choices:

1) Set Region 1 to be the Reset Region under the Swap Groups tab in your Window Layout. The Reset Region sets what the rendering resolution is going to be for each Region of a particular Swap Group. By doing this your smaller window is going to look weird because it'll be scaled down from 1920x1080, but your UI will "line up" assuming you are using the same UI Scale setting in each game client.

2) Change both of your Regions to use 1680x1050.

Neither option is optimal and the only way you're going to "fix" your Window Layout is by replacing the 1680x1080 monitor with one that has a native resolution of 1920x1080.

Return to World of Warcraft