FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

new rig build, fps problems

Moderator: MiRai

<<

wokka

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:53 pm

new rig build, fps problems

My old mboxing setup was getting a bit aged, going on 4.5 years old, so I splurged on a new setup.

Haswell-e i7-5930k, 32gb of DDR4 ram with a gtx780ti, the GPU was brought over from the old pc

fresh install of windows 7, reinstalled all software, and copied over my wow and isboxer settings.

With just one instance running (they all share the same install) from within isboxer, on ultra settings, WoW is getting anywhere from 74 fps to 200 inside of a busy city with lots of players moving around. If I load up all 5 toons, the fps drops to the teens and open hardware monitor is reporting my GPU to be maxed. Dropped WoW settings down to minimal and fps is staying around 30 fps and dipping into teens, and the GPU core maxes out anytime I get dips. The rest of the GPU stats are never maxing out.

Memory and CPU are both fine. I've tried 3 revisions of drivers, all WHQL from nvidia with no change. I've re-run the cpu wizard in isboxer (given that I used my old config) and re-run the monitor setup (i run the primary toon on one screen and the other 4 on another monitor). I can't imagine that this setup is really that limited. I did try disabling the nvidia experience app as well. I've followed the guides on the wiki about game settings, etc. to no avail.

I'm open to any thoughts on what could be causing the GPU to max out on minimal settings. Here is my profile: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/73e553ec24866256d5c6

Thanks for any help

--edit for info on the solution--
Hopefully someone will learn from my mistake, but the vid card was in the wrong slot on the mobo, and was only running at x1 speeds. My mobo has to have the vid card in 1,3 or 4th slot, moving it to the 3rd resolved my problems. More detail in my last post on this thread.

Thanks all to who gave me ideas
Last edited by wokka on Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:55 pm

Re: new rig build, fps problems

Zee new WOW patch.

You could try turning off the new models (apparently you can).
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:09 pm

I didn't look at your profile but, as jonesy said, you can disable the new models under the Advanced section of the settings. In the same section you should swap between DX9 and DX11 to see if one is better than the other.
<<

wokka

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:37 pm

dx9 seemed to have made it worse and I went ahead and disabled the models at the same time. FPS wasn't getting over 15 on my main screen and GPU was maxed out.

I really wish I had put this system together last week before patch 6 came out...
<<

maddguttr

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:55 pm

Exact reason I just cancelled all of my wow subs. Its time to find a new game. I suspect Blizzard will be going P2W with gold in the very near future.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:12 pm

wokka wrote:dx9 seemed to have made it worse and I went ahead and disabled the models at the same time. FPS wasn't getting over 15 on my main screen and GPU was maxed out.

I really wish I had put this system together last week before patch 6 came out...

Well, they are using an entirely different rendering engine now after 6.0.2, so it's not unusual that some people are currently experiencing bad framerates after such a major patch. I mean, if you glance at their technical support forum it's loaded with people who have lots of problems after the patch... including framerate issues (and they're only playing a single game client).

maddguttr wrote:Exact reason I just cancelled all of my wow subs. Its time to find a new game. I suspect Blizzard will be going P2W with gold in the very near future.

Low FPS after a brand new pre-expansion patch is released which included a completely different rendering engine than they've used the past 10 years and Pay-to-Win cash shops are so closely related that you may be onto something.
<<

maddguttr

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:43 pm

lmao....really???

As sarcastic as it was, it was probably some of the most insightful information I've read since Tuesday.
<<

wokka

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:09 pm

I've been doing a lot of testing, fresh install of WoW, no addons, default settings it put my system at High, getting 20 - 40 fps with no one around in a small quest hub. Put everything to low, I get 100 fps (game defaults to that max). My GPU core is running at 30 - 75% on low settings, maxing out if I go back to High or Ultra settings.

I don't have 3dmark to bench it, but I used heaven 4.0 and the GPU is performing on par with other systems that have the 780ti.

From reading the blizz forums, a lot of people are getting really good framerates with this patch, and others are not. A coworker of mine has the 780ti with an older i7 processor and is getting 200 fps on ultra settings. This right here makes no sense to me, I've tried the exact same drivers as he is, we are both running w7 and 64bit.

Is anyone else having problems similar to mine, where the fps just isn't there and you cannot mbox?

At this rate, in order for me to 5box, I'm going to need 5 pc's... That's what I did back in 2009 when I started with a 3 man team, but sheesh, with a hexcore proc and 32gb of ram and a high end vid card, I wouldn't think so.

Thanks for your time and sorry for my rant
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:15 pm

I would look to bare bones your install and remove any unnecessary programs and services that are running in the background. See if you have something else interfering.
<<

wokka

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:10 pm

Thanks Jonesy, but that's what this build pretty much was, new hardware, new install of os and applications. I even did a fresh download of WoW (all 25gb) and played with default settings for a while.

However, I did find my problem, and had nothing to do with what I was testing. I had downloaded and installed GPU-Z appto check stuff on my video card that the open hardware monitor was not showing and it showed me the problem, my vid card was running in PCIe x1, not x16 as it should.

Turns out, I had put it in the wrong slot on the mobo. Due to the size of the 780ti and my heatsink/fan combo, they were bumping and I didn't like that, so I had put it in slot #2. Per the ASUS manual, it should go in wither 1, 3 or 4.

Go figure. I'm now running on ultra settings in wow at 1920x1080 with all 5 toons running and getting a steady 30-55fps with it out in the wilds of pandoria and my gpu core hasn't gone over 78%!!. I'm sure I'll tweak settings a bit lower to get a faster FPS in fights.

Hopefully someone else will learn from my mistake and verify that the PCIe lanes are getting full bandwidth.
Next

Return to World of Warcraft