FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Not understanding Window Layout and Screen Resolutions

Moderator: MiRai

<<

heyaz

Post Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:05 pm

Not understanding Window Layout and Screen Resolutions

I spent a few hours looking around Google, turning up a multitude or results from both these forums, DB, and a couple other places. I also read through several sections of the ISBoxer wiki looked at options within ISBoxer toolkit itself, but the answer seems to elude me.

The issue: I simply do not understand how exactly Screen Resolution + Window Layout + Instant Switching works.

What I am trying to accomplish: A 720p (or other matching ratio to 1080p) resolution on 1080p native monitors - stretched to fit.

What happens based on my Window Layout: Game is locked at one resolution (cannot be changed in game) and is forced to 1080p because I have the main window setup as such (stretches to full the entire monitor). I cannot find a setting in ISBoxer nor WoW to override this, but it may not be possible given what I have set up.

What I do know:
1. A single WoW client can be run in a low resolution and simply stretched to fit the entire screen. If the aspect ratio matches you end up with a lower resolution just scaled up. Less CPU/GPU power and better FPS.
2. In ISBoxer DX9 config, you retain the list of resolutions in game (and can change them) and I think it stretches them out to 1080 based on my window layout yet I'm unsure if it took the lower resolution as my UI stayed in scale (or was my UI scale adjusted accordingly?)
3. Again in ISBoxer DX9 config or some other config possibly, when exporting you Can have the game in a different resolution in its own config, and ISBoxer warns you, and you can ignore that.

What I am not sure about (but can swear was the case):
1. I could swear there was a time, maybe back when I had less computing power, or wanted better performance, I had such a configuration whereby the game took up the entire 1080p screen yet was on a lower resolution (it was simply stretched) and instant switching worked.
2. The game profiles can be edited in InnerSpace and I have three: DX9, DX11, and WoW Default. One of which I may have edited at some point, but can't find much inside InnerSpace that shows me what I may have changed.
3. Again I could swear at one point my resolution was not locked by ISBoxer and could be changed in game, and then ignored the warnings when ISBoxer did an export.

I'm kind of at the limitations as far as what my machine can handle in large scale combat in these new zones with graphic effects everywhere and WoW's reliance on the CPU for graphical calculations (?!). I went away from the DX9 config a long time ago due to graphical weirdness and not-so-instant window swapping, and underutilization of my GPU. On the other hand if it's the only option now for lower resolution I'd like to maybe go back to it, since maybe a dozen or more graphical tweaks (CVars) were removed from WoW DX11 that allow you to turn off quite a bit of junk that does nothing for gameplay and IMO some of which don't make the game look any better but eat up CPU.

Hope that was all clear. What am I missing here? Thanks all.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: Not understanding Window Layout and Screen Resolutions

I'll be honest, I didn't read everything you originally posted word for word because I'm a little busy, but I think this is what you want...

Manually create an extra Region in your Window Layout by right-clicking on any region and choosing to duplicate it -- Your Window Layout should now have one extra Region than the amount of characters you run -- This new Region will just be used to set a "desired rendering resolution" for the rest of your clients. So, change the new region's size to your desired rendering size (e.g. 1280, 720), then move over to the Swap Groups tab, and set your newly created/duplicated region as your 'Reset' Region.
<<

hamiltonia

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:07 pm

MiRai wrote:Manually create an extra Region in your Window Layout by right-clicking on any region and choosing to duplicate it -- Your Window Layout should now have one extra Region than the amount of characters you run -- This new Region will just be used to set a "desired rendering resolution" for the rest of your clients. So, change the new region's size to your desired rendering size (e.g. 1280, 720), then move over to the Swap Groups tab, and set your newly created/duplicated region as your 'Reset' Region.

I also have this issue, so I though I would try MiRai's suggestion, the results weren't what I was expecting. My example:

- 2 monitor setup, 5 clients stacked on the primary monitor with a dxNothing window on the 2nd monitor.
- The primary monitor's native resolution is 2560x1440 and the desktop resolution is set to this, preferably the WoW clients would be running at 1920x1080 - as the original poster suggested to decrease the processing requirements and improve performance.

I did what MiRai suggested, creating a 7th region, set to 1920x1080, and set it as the reset region. The results of doing this are that each of the 5 clients is running at 1920x1080, but the bottom and right portions of the screen are a black border making up the rest of 2560x1440. The mouse coordinates are also off, they're still running at 2560x1440.

Code:
*          WoW Client          *             *
*          1920x1080           *             *
*          Black Region                      *

So the solution doesn't solve the problem of having a windowed client to run at a lower resolution, but have it scaled to fit the full resolution of the monitor. The other obvious solution is to set the desktop resolution to 1920x1080, and adjust the Window Layout to match; however this is tedious to switch back and forth on a regular basis.

Any other tips for doing something like this? Is there a detail missing that would allow the windowed clients to scale to fill the entirety of the native monitor resolution?
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:51 pm

hamiltonia wrote:So the solution doesn't solve the problem of having a windowed client to run at a lower resolution, but have it scaled to fit the full resolution of the monitor.

What I described above works with both upscaling and downsampling.

Here are two images showing that I'm able to run both 4K (3840x2160) and 720p (1280x720) resolutions in windowed mode and stretched (or squished) to fit on a monitor which is running at its native resolution of 1920x1080.

The only thing that's been edited in those images is where I've blacked out my account information.

If you need further assistance then you will need to share your profile.
<<

hamiltonia

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:27 pm

Shared my profile here: http://privatepaste.com/b545aaf2eb

I created two Windows Layouts to test this:
1. "World of Warcraft - 1-5 at 1920x1080", in this one character slots 1-5 are set to 1920x1080, while 7 is at 2560x1440, 7 is also the reset region for swap group 1
2. "World of Warcraft - 7 at 1920x1080", in this one character slot 7 is set to 1920x1080, and is also the reset region for swap group 1, 1-5 are set to 2560x1440.

I also noticed in your screenshot that you're set to "Windowed - Fullscreen", I usually use just "Windowed" but tried both of the above in both Windowed modes - didn't seem to have an affect so I don't know if it matters.

Kindly let me know if you see what I'm doing wrong.

<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:20 pm

hamiltonia wrote:1. "World of Warcraft - 1-5 at 1920x1080", in this one character slots 1-5 are set to 1920x1080, while 7 is at 2560x1440, 7 is also the reset region for swap group 1

2. "World of Warcraft - 7 at 1920x1080", in this one character slot 7 is set to 1920x1080, and is also the reset region for swap group 1, 1-5 are set to 2560x1440.

They are setup correctly and I don't know why they wouldn't be working for you. I was able to directly copy and paste your "World of Warcraft - 1-5 at 1920x1080" Window Layout and it worked perfectly for me without needing to make a single change. The game clients started up at 2560x1440 and then re-sized and centered themselves on my 1920x1080 monitor -- Using both Windowed and Windowed (Fullscreen).

hamiltonia wrote:I also noticed in your screenshot that you're set to "Windowed - Fullscreen", I usually use just "Windowed" but tried both of the above in both Windowed modes - didn't seem to have an affect so I don't know if it matters.

It shouldn't matter at all for World of Warcraft, but sometimes I have a difficult time forcing AA modes in Windowed, so I typically use Windowed (FS).
<<

hamiltonia

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:20 pm

The only other things I think it could be are card mfg (nvidia here) or OS (Win8.1). I also use SLI, but I disabled it to test and it had no affect.

Strangely - when the clients start, they're first in a smaller window with chrome, then they go full screen, then they snap back to the smaller size with no chrome and the black/desktop around the edges.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:58 pm

hamiltonia wrote:The only other things I think it could be are card mfg (nvidia here) or OS (Win8.1). I also use SLI, but I disabled it to test and it had no affect.

I'm also using nVidia GPUs in SLI, but on Windows 7. I doubt it's an issue with the OS, but only Lax (or someone else using W8.1) can test that.

hamiltonia wrote:Strangely - when the clients start, they're first in a smaller window with chrome, then they go full screen, then they snap back to the smaller size with no chrome and the black/desktop around the edges.

I'm a little confused... chrome? Google Chrome? What does this mean?
<<

hamiltonia

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:01 am

MiRai wrote:I'm a little confused... chrome? Google Chrome? What does this mean?

Sorry, I mean the frame around the window.
<<

hamiltonia

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:51 am

Seems to work correctly for me in DX9 mode, but breaks with DX11.
Next

Return to World of Warcraft