FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

WoW sessions freezing after a few hours

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Buzztron

Post Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:11 pm

WoW sessions freezing after a few hours

I've been having this problem for about a month now. As I'm playing, one of my two sessions will just suddenly freeze. I have to do an end task on the WoW-64.EXE that's frozen and re-launch from Inner Space to get that session back up and running.

I read through the forums and found that my DirectX was 11 instead of 9, so I've corrected that on both sessions and restarted WoW completely. My NVIDIA driver claims there are no further updates.

After that it ran fine for a few hours, which is pretty normal...but unfortunately it just froze again. I'd say this is happening about once every 3 hours on average, but it does vary. One time I had both sessions freeze within about 2 minutes of each other.

I have a crashed session up right now, but when I try to use the "Diagnostics for game freezes" in ISBoxer, I select the dead Wow-64 process and click the generate button. When I try to save the Minidump file though, it tells me "Minidump generation failed."

Any suggestions?
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: WoW sessions freezing after a few hours

I can't tell you why ISBoxer won't generate a dmp file, but perhaps it has something to do with the 64-bit version of WoW (Lax can probably tell you why).

Other than that, you might monitor your hardware to see if you're pushing it too hard - http://isboxer.com/wiki/HOWTO:Tweak_you ... ottlenecks
<<

Buzztron

Post Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:08 pm

I was able to get a minidump of the ISBoxer process. I'm not sure if that's what was needed, but I emailed that into Lax.

Thanks for the link to the hardware monitoring utility. It's pretty cool.
<<

Buzztron

Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:03 am

I just wanted to add that I did narrow it down to the ISBoxer addon/Inner Space. I removed all my other addons with only ISBoxer running and still had crashes. When I remove ISBoxer addon/Inner Space, I was able to play for well over a full day without any freezes (which I've never been able to do). Even with all my other addons brought back in, I still did not crash once.

I check for updates at least once every two days. Always hopeful there's a fix. I'm always on the latest version of ISBoxer/Inner Space.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:25 am

Diagnostics for game freezes must be captured from a 32-bit process at the moment, and getting them from isboxer toolkit.exe doesn't get us much information about the problem you're having. If you force WoW to use 32-bit instead of 64-bit this will work out better. One easy way of doing that is to temporarily move WoW-64.exe or rename it to something else, and then if you're launching wow.exe, the game won't re-launch as wow-64.exe.

Can you get me a Diagnostics for game crashes? -- http://isboxer.com/wiki/Diagnostics -- it's more okay for this to be from ISBoxer Toolkit.exe (if needed) than for the freeze diagnostics to be.

Did you check for video and sound driver updates?
<<

Buzztron

Post Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:45 pm

Well, hopefully I don't jinx myself by saying this, but I think it might have been the 64 bit version that was having the problem. Since I renamed the files and am now running the 32 bit version, I haven't had a single crash in 2 days. I'll keep you posted...
<<

Buzztron

Post Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:26 pm

Yeah, I think it's safe to say at this point that the freezing problem doesn't happen with the 32 bit version of WoW. I'll just leave it like this...
<<

Buzztron

Post Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:38 pm

Well, that last post definitely jinxed me. It's now freezing as often using the 32 bit version as it did with the 64. Had both sessions freeze within a few seconds of each other today. Guess it's time to shut down my second wow account. It's not playable like this.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:25 pm

Buzztron wrote:Well, that last post definitely jinxed me. It's now freezing as often using the 32 bit version as it did with the 64. Had both sessions freeze within a few seconds of each other today. Guess it's time to shut down my second wow account. It's not playable like this.

So, go back one week and get Lax a diagnostics report for game freezes from the 32-bit client.
<<

Buzztron

Post Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:47 pm

I did, and got an e-mail 3 days ago that said:

It looks like the 3d rendering is locking up due to something else trying to render at the same time.
Can you try disabling or uninstalling NVIDIA Stereoscopic API?

I wrote back right away that this setting was already disabled, and included a screen shot of the setting. No response, so I sent another e-mail yesterday asking if there were any other suggestions...no response. Fair enough if it's still being investigated, but I have no way of knowing?
Next

Return to World of Warcraft