FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Fat Graphics issue with portrait monitor

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Rustyboxer

Post Sun May 31, 2015 3:49 pm

Fat Graphics issue with portrait monitor

I've been fighting with the fat/squat graphics issue for a few weeks now and think I finally figured out where the issue is for me and maybe some others. I've been over the threads here and tried all of the listed solutions and more. I had the best luck getting normal graphics when putting all screens on the main monitor in a multi-screen layout, but never when stacking them. Any time that I tried to use full-screen'ish' for my main monitor, I got fat graphics.

I've found that if I have my second monitor in portrait mode while loading the game, I get fat graphics. If I set it to landscape while loading, I can set it back to portrait after everything is loaded and graphics are fine. This only occurs when using InnerSpace, and happens even when I set up a character set with just one character (and one window).

I can also just pull the HDMI cable from the monitor while loading the character set and then plug it back in and everything seems to work normally.

I did note once when I loaded the game with a solo character set that the screen briefly changed to the second monitor right after hitting play on the launcher and then back to the main monitor so it appears that it's starting to load there for some reason and picking up the 1050x1680 resolution instead of the 1920x1080 of the main monitor.

I've wiped and created new ISBoxer profiles many times over the course of testing and this happens even with a fresh setup for a single character.

Any thoughts on this?

Rusty
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Sun May 31, 2015 4:21 pm

Re: Fat Graphics issue with portrait monitor

1) Try cycling display modes. If you're using Windowed, then try Windowed (Fullscreen), and then back again to Windowed if that doesn't work. However, I wouldn't recommend using true Fullscreen, and if your games are currently set to that, they shouldn't be.

2) Share your profile and provide a capture state by launching your Character Set, opening the in-game GUI (Ctrl Shift Alt G by default), clicking on the debug tab, clicking the Capture State button, pasting the contents of it into a paste site like privatepaste, and giving us the URL.
<<

Rustyboxer

Post Sun May 31, 2015 5:09 pm

Thanks for the quick reminder that I forgot to post the profile. :)
Already tried cycling display modes. It never helped. I have infrequently been able to get proper graphics, but never never in a reproducible way and it always reverted to fat graphics (or thin graphics a couple of times) after just a few swaps.

The current mess of a profile is here, but I can rebuild a fresh one if requested.
http://pastebin.com/YczUxC7s

It's fairly simple as the last profile I built was to just wipe the settings, and used the wizard to create a profile for a single character in SWTOR. I immediately had fat graphics on loading it. My monitors are in a 1920x1080 and 1050x1680 configuration. I can consistently get normal graphics with the second monitor set to landscape (1680x1050) or unplugged.

Rusty
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Sun May 31, 2015 6:12 pm

I also asked for a capture state—Which would immediately reveal if there's a problem.
MiRai wrote:2) Share your profile and provide a capture state by launching your Character Set, opening the in-game GUI (Ctrl Shift Alt G by default), clicking on the debug tab, clicking the Capture State button, pasting the contents of it into a paste site like privatepaste, and giving us the URL.

I can tell you right off the bat that the dxNothing regions of your Quad and Duo Window Layouts are going to be distorted since they're placed on the vertical monitor which is 1050x1680, and being forced to render at 1920x1080.
<<

Rustyboxer

Post Sun May 31, 2015 7:26 pm

Sorry about that, was on the way out the door to get dinner, and missed that part.
https://privatepaste.com/24604250df

As for the dxNothing being distorted, I'm well aware. This is not a final layout and I was trying many layouts and ideas to see if I could get it working. I never even got the video fx windows set up on them since the main windows were distorted.

Rusty
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sun May 31, 2015 7:30 pm

Well, that's a bit useless. It doesn't contain info for all the slots. Were they not all loaded up when you did it?
<<

Rustyboxer

Post Sun May 31, 2015 7:53 pm

I was loading the Solo config. Single character only with only one window.
I still had the fat graphics and switching from windowed to full-screen windowed and back didn't make a difference.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sun May 31, 2015 7:55 pm

Is your "main monitor" a TV?
<<

Rustyboxer

Post Sun May 31, 2015 8:04 pm

Nope. An Acer 24" monitor.
The whole problem seems to come from the second monitor being in portrait mode.

Even with the solo config, if I have the 2nd display in portrait, I get fat graphics. If I have it in Landscape, everything looks fine. Except I can't read 2nd monitor then without turning my head on it's side. :)
<<

Rustyboxer

Post Sun May 31, 2015 8:12 pm

I just did another test on the solo config.

Set 2nd monitor to landscape (1680x1050 is the native resolution), started the launcher and logged in. I could see the resolution of the initial load screen shifting and it appears to have briefly loaded at the 1680x1050 instead of 1920x1080. Once I got to character select, the graphics were fine.
Then I changed the 2nd monitor back to portrait, logged in, and graphics are still fine.

Here's the capture state from after I got logged in this time. I don't see a difference and as you said, it doesn't seem overly useful to me at the moment.

https://privatepaste.com/165ef527bb

(Edited to correct initial monitor setting)
Next

Return to Star Wars: The Old Republic