FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Number of Game Clients?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

breezett93

Post Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:42 pm

Number of Game Clients?

I'm looking for insight on the # of instances I could run with my current hardware:

Intel i7-4790k 4ghz 4 cores, 8 threads
32g DDR3
Asus GeForce GTX 780 TI (supports my 3x monitor setup)
Asus z97 Pro Mobo

Thanks!
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:51 am

Re: Number of Game Clients?

I split off your topic from the old thread because there was no need to bump a 2 year old thread.

With that said, there's no formula for figuring out how many game clients a certain computer can run because there are way too many variables involved. Your computer is comprised of current-generation hardware, so as long as you're not trying to play at 4K, then I imagine you'll have zero issues multiboxing any game that is compatible with ISBoxer.
<<

breezett93

Post Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:26 pm

MiRai wrote:With that said, there's no formula for figuring out how many game clients a certain computer can run because there are way too many variables involved. Your computer is comprised of current-generation hardware, so as long as you're not trying to play at 4K, then I imagine you'll have zero issues multiboxing any game that is compatible with ISBoxer.

I'm looking for a specific number. Like, given specific hardware, # of instances to run safely = X. My monitors are definitely not 4K; so that won't be a problem. I would also turn down all the graphics settings for the other instances aside from my main. If you still need more specific info, I can try to provide it.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:51 pm

As MiRai said, there is no formula.

That said, if you still want an answer on this highly variable subject, my starting point is:
  • CPU is 1 per core, although a hyperthreaded cpu can usually squeeze 2 more, so maybe 6.
  • Graphics, it is a case of measure the gpu use under one client, then take half of that for each additional instance (actually gfx are highly variable though as each additional instance may only require an extra 10% resources - this one you can only truly tell by loading up more instances and finding out).
  • RAM is 1.5GB per instance
This is all very subjective (and mostly made up) depending on what you have installed on your computer and running in the background, and the game (SWTOR in this case). A game update (or any update for that matter) may change the state of play. YMMV.
<<

breezett93

Post Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:14 pm

bob wrote:That said, if you still want an answer on this highly variable subject, my starting point is:
  • CPU is 1 per core, although a hyperthreaded cpu can usually squeeze 2 more, so maybe 6.
  • Graphics, it is a case of measure the gpu use under one client, then take half of that for each additional instance (actually gfx are highly variable though as each additional instance may only require an extra 10% resources - this one you can only truly tell by loading up more instances and finding out).
  • RAM is 1.5GB per instance
This is all very subjective (and mostly made up) depending on what you have installed on your computer and running in the background, and the game (SWTOR in this case). A game update (or any update for that matter) may change the state of play. YMMV.

Wonderful. Thank you. So basically my CPU is currently the weakest link.

Return to Star Wars: The Old Republic