FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Couple quick Follow questions

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Shendare

Post Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:31 pm

Couple quick Follow questions

I've been boxing EQ and EQ2 for a couple years, and have recently started dinking around in SW:TOR with ISBoxer, but am running into a couple annoyances, and figured I'd ask in case there are ways to fix them.

1. Follow breaks with every fight.

Is this just a feature of the game? Do I have to hit the Follow key after every single fight? Is there no in-game setting for letting Follow work through fights?

2. Camera doesn't orient for a Following character properly

The camera automatically orients itself to trail your character when you're moving, but it doesn't do so for a character on Follow, meaning the camera just ends up pointing, say, North, even when your character is running East, West, or South. Not very useful. I tried playing with the Preferences checkboxes for Camera and they don't appear to be doing anything about it. Is this just something I'll have to learn to forgive and ignore? I got around it in EQ1 and EQ2 by using the first-person camera (which was better for turning-lag anyway), but that doesn't appear to be an option in SW:TOR.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:37 pm

Re: Couple quick Follow questions

1. Yes, that sounds about right. At least it sounds like the behavior is consistent. By contrast, in World of Warcraft only certain aspects of combat will break auto-follow -- specifically a "channeled" spell (certain type of spell) or a melee swing -- so it takes a lot of people by surprise when they play a different kind of character than they are used to.

2. Correct; this is a problem that has existed in SWTOR since day 1. In fact on day 1 follow harly worked at all, it's a big enough relief they got it working. ;)
<<

Shendare

Post Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:39 pm

Thanks for the lightning-quick reply. Live and forgive, I guess.
<<

krixost

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:53 pm

I can add something that works. I use the Logitech G13 to basically handle this so I can click the Follow Keymap once and G13 and the InnerSpace config take care of the rest.

Yes the combat breaks with any type of combat. It is not all that bad though since when it does break the characters like healers just stop where they are and begin doing things.

Below....All Others refers to all Inactive Displays (Slots). The Active Display is the Current.

You can set up Orient Camera as a Key Map.
1) Make a new Key Map. Use something you are not using. I use Alt+A to do this.
2) Hold Any Keystroke Actions while Hotkey is Held....Set to ON
3) Steps 1 - Move Forward (W Key) -> all other

Now when you Press and Hold Alt+A (in this example) all others will move forward thus aligning the camera to the direction they are moving. This is reference to that Other's Display Only and not in Reference to the Active Display. But this does allow you to peek quickly at the mini displays to see what they see.

You will need to play with this a bit to get a feel for it. The reason is that when you press W on the other it will Move Away from where the camera is displayed. The camera will rotate to where they are moving and once they Follow their camera may be out of alignment. This feature works much better in combat since all you are really trying to do is see what is in front on them.

I have this set to 750ms of moving forward to get the camera to swing around. I have Smart Camera checked and Camera Speed set to 0% (This is still too fast on my computer but it is what it is)

Handy Tip: Do these steps to make sure the 'Others' do not move too far when aligning the camera. This is the sequence I use. I have 3 buttons for this.....Button 1 if already walking....Button 2 if running/sprinting....Button 3 for Following
1) Set Walk Mode on Others
150ms Delay
2) Alt+A (Move Forward)
hold down 750ms then release
3) Set Run Mode on 'Others'
Option:
4) Follow

Done.

Cheers!

Return to Star Wars: The Old Republic