FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

GPUz shows only 1 video card is working

Moderator: MiRai

<<

plnguyen

Post Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:14 am

GPUz shows only 1 video card is working

Hi everyone, I have dual Radeon 6990M with crossfire disabled. I'm also using two monitors.
What am I supposed to do to make each game instance use 1 GPU? Running GPUz shows only 1 video card is being used.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry for the lack of details. I'm not sure what else to mention.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:10 am

Re: GPUz shows only 1 video card is working

Pretty sure you can't split the load on dual GPU cards. If you turn off Crossfire on the card you lose a GPU (same with SLI).
<<

plnguyen

Post Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:49 am

MiRai wrote:Pretty sure you can't split the load on dual GPU cards. If you turn off Crossfire on the card you lose a GPU (same with SLI).

I did turn off crossfire. What settings do I need to make to make the game use 1 GPU per instance? I'm currently running two instances of SWTOR and I want a GPU on each instance.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:28 am

plnguyen wrote:
MiRai wrote:Pretty sure you can't split the load on dual GPU cards. If you turn off Crossfire on the card you lose a GPU (same with SLI).

I did turn off crossfire. What settings do I need to make to make the game use 1 GPU per instance? I'm currently running two instances of SWTOR and I want a GPU on each instance.

I misread your initial post, I thought you only had one video card.

1. You will need to create a second game profile by adding SW:ToR to Inner Space again.
2. Then go into each game profile (right-click on the tray icon and choose 'Configuration' then 'Game Configuration') and assign a different display to each game profile.
3. Apply those changes.
4. Back in ISBoxer you'll need to assign the correct profile (display) to these characters in question and re-export.

I would suggest naming the profiles with their designated display to make it easier to figure out which is which inside of ISBoxer. I can't guarantee that this will work with SW:ToR but it's worth a shot.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:06 am

ISBoxer will override that setting. You do not need to go into the Inner Space configuration to use the automatic GPU selection that is built into ISBoxer.

In order to help you with this issue it would help to see your ISBoxer configuration. It depends entirely on your Window Layout! HOWTO: Share your configuration for better support

The main thing you need to do is make sure that one monitor is powered by one card, and the other monitor is powered by the other card. Then it's about as simple as disabling "Cross-monitor swapping" during the wizard.
<<

Igg123

Post Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:23 pm

lax wrote:ISBoxer will override that setting. You do not need to go into the Inner Space configuration to use the automatic GPU selection that is built into ISBoxer.

In order to help you with this issue it would help to see your ISBoxer configuration. It depends entirely on your Window Layout! HOWTO: Share your configuration for better support

The main thing you need to do is make sure that one monitor is powered by one card, and the other monitor is powered by the other card. Then it's about as simple as disabling "Cross-monitor swapping" during the wizard.

If we've already made our Layout profiles before with cross monitor swapping but want to disable it now, where is that setting in an existing profile?

Thanks
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:36 pm

It's not one setting, it is an idea that is implemented by your Window Layout. Use the Window Layout Wizard to replace your existing Window Layout.

If you were to show me your configuration I would be able to interpret your configuration and tell you what changes you would need to make. Or if it is configured correctly and is just not working correctly, etc.
<<

plnguyen

Post Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:46 pm

lax wrote:ISBoxer will override that setting. You do not need to go into the Inner Space configuration to use the automatic GPU selection that is built into ISBoxer.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Also btw, I'm on a laptop with dual GPUs. My external monitor is connected through an HDMI port which I use as primary and my built in laptop screen is my secondary.

Here is what I got:
http://www.privatepaste.com/f7a27221a1
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:58 am

You have swapping disabled per-Region, and that's all good, but because you have Instant Swapping checked and a Reset Region configured (because the Window Layout started out as having swapping enabled from the wizard), both of your instances will "Reset" to Region 1, and be assigned to the GPU handling Region 1. (And then instantly moved into their assigned Home Regions.)

Uncheck the Instant window swapping box in your Window Layout and it should assign one to the other GPU. The same effect would be had from using the Window Layout Wizard, and selecting the full screen per character with Swapping disabled.
<<

plnguyen

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:21 pm

lax wrote:You have swapping disabled per-Region, and that's all good, but because you have Instant Swapping checked and a Reset Region configured (because the Window Layout started out as having swapping enabled from the wizard), both of your instances will "Reset" to Region 1, and be assigned to the GPU handling Region 1. (And then instantly moved into their assigned Home Regions.)

Uncheck the Instant window swapping box in your Window Layout and it should assign one to the other GPU. The same effect would be had from using the Window Layout Wizard, and selecting the full screen per character with Swapping disabled.

I've made the changes and GPUz still says I only have 1 GPU working. Here is the new updated config:
http://www.privatepaste.com/c723cd872b

ps. It did add a few more configs to try and figure it out myself but no luck. The character set is "Dual Monitors, Swapping".

Return to Star Wars: The Old Republic