FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Click Healing in SWTOR

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Alge

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:04 am

Click Healing in SWTOR

Click healing using ISBoxer (as described here for WoW and here for RIFT) relies on a game having two features: mouseover macros and unit frames with consistent unit ordering. SWTOR has the appropriate unit frames (if one uses the operation frames) but does not have any macro capabilities at present.

It appears, however, that click healing may still be possible in SWTOR with a trick involving a repeater region to perform the same function as the mouseover macro. This is still a work-in-progress but I am fairly confident I can turn my prototype into a working system in the near future. One disadvantage to this system is that there is no simple way to reacquire the previous target in SWTOR (mouseover macros by design do not change a unit's target). Some people currently use focus assist and others use "acquire target's target" for target acquisition by slaves in SWTOR.

The click bar part of the click-healing system is set up as normal. Then a repeater region is overlaid on top of the click bar, with the target being either the healing slot or a healing ATG. Local clicks should NOT be blocked (explained below). This repeater region should be saved using some appropriate name.

The mapped keys which are linked to the click bar buttons comprise two steps and are set to execute a step on press and release:

Step 1: no action.
Step 2:
Action 1: Keystroke Action as appropriate to cast the heal with the appropriate healer or ATG as the Target in ISBoxer.
Action 2: Repeater Regions Action to load the region set named above.

On the mouse click the repeater region passes the click through to the healer so the healer selects the appropriate unit by clicking on the unit frame. The local click is also intercepted by the click bar, triggering the mapped key, which does nothing on the mouse press. The interaction with the click bar brings it to the front of the repeater region. On the mouse release, the second part of the mapped key is executed and the healer heals the target. Also, the repeater region set is re-loaded, bringing the repeater region back in front of the click bar, essentially resetting the system.

That's the essence of it. It needs to be fleshed out and tested and once that is done I will make a guide. If you have comments or suggestions for improvements, please post below.

Alge

EDIT: One limitation I have already come across is that only unmodified left clicks will work for this method.
<<

hephaestus

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:20 pm

Re: Click Healing in SWTOR

Alge - Have you had any luck setting up a decent click bar solution? I was going to try your three region bars over the operations frames to get around the lack of modifier keys, that would give you six options, which seems sufficient (or is massively better than what we have now).
<<

Alge

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:58 pm

Well, the thing is, I cancelled my SWTOR subscriptions. I think the game is a little underdone.

However, the new Variable Keystrokes feature of ISBoxer 40 should make things a little easier to set up. The main stumbling block is still going to be the lack of macros in SWTOR, specifically a mouseover option.

So, instead of having a single button which covers all 4 character slots, I'd probably use 4 buttons, each set up to target a specific slot.
<<

hephaestus

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:51 pm

Agreed on the underdone point Alge, I am hoping that Secret World will be more of an MMO feel, I think SWTOR has invented a new game style -- it isn't even theme park, more like a directed cruise... I was set to cancel on Thursday and then they fixed follow, so I was a chump and stayed on board for a month.
<<

Alge

Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:57 pm

It seems someone has turned this idea into a guide: http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?p=354211#post354211. As Lax points out in a later post there are some improvements that can be made as well.

EDIT: typo
<<

chazz

Post Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:30 pm

That Guide was done by me.
It's interesting to see that more people have had the same idea for this approach.
I assume that you linked to my Guide when I first put it up, since then I have made several revisions to it to include an Assist & Follow setup, a Repeater Region Alternative and a way to use any Mouse Button to do Click Healing except for the Right Mouse Button (since it opens up a menu on the Slave's Party Frame).
This system now works flawlessly to heal any party target by using any Mouse Button with a single click, while also disabling/enabling dps and assist keys for the Slave character on mouseover to ensure smooth and reliable healing.
<<

hephaestus

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:58 pm

I have a similar system functioning quite well, it even heals companions if my group isn't full, but I can't bring myself to upgrade to Chazz's system, which is more complete than mine, because I am cancelling my subs on Feb 20... I know lots of people enjoy the game, and my wife is having fun in PvP, but I to me, there is just not much to captivate me in SWTOR after swinging around a lightsaber for a while (and I have played all 8 classes), I am just really disappointed in the direction that Bioware took the game. It sounds like healing will get much easier with the release of 1.2, but I just can't seem myself playing SWTOR for entirely non-boxing related reasons, just general blahness.

Return to Star Wars: The Old Republic