FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Multi display issue.

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Mercbeast

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:10 pm

Multi display issue.

First let me start.

Using this exact setup yesterday it worked flawlessly. Today I login and everything has gone to hell.

I am running two 23 inch monitors. I have instant swapping turned off and I am using fullscreen per character.

When I click on the secondary character, that screen swaps to the primary screen (yesterday it was working flawlessly). What happens next is, whenever I left or right click on the screen, the mouse cursor moves to the far left side of the screen and causes the camera to spin extremely rapidly.

My primary client does not do this.

A few thoughts. Occasionally ISboxer is changing my desktop resolution from 1920x1080 to 1680x1050 when it launches a client. Yesterday before I got my system working smoothly, I was running a 23 inch monitor with a 19 inch monitor, 23 inch running at 1920x1080 and the 19 running at 1440x900. It displayed the same symptoms on the secondary client. It would swap to the primary client, be re-rendered by clicking anywhere on the screen tended to cause the camera to spin.

I'm not sure what has happened. I have not changed any settings since last night when it worked fine. I literally logged in today and it was doing this. Any ideas?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:55 am

Re: Multi display issue.

Interesting. The "Odd Graphics" thread is about related issues and you might find a solution there.

I will say, though, that ISBoxer (nor Inner Space for that matter) does not adjust your desktop resolution, ever. I think the issue has something to do with the game using the wrong monitor's settings (this may go back to the whole multiple-processes thing, where one process knows the right monitor and the other, for some reason, has the wrong one). If your monitors are all the same resolution for example I guess I might not expect this to occur.

What happens next is, whenever I left or right click on the screen, the mouse cursor moves to the far left side of the screen and causes the camera to spin extremely rapidly.

This right here sounds like it might potentially be caused by having Instant Swapping enabled. Try disabling it (re-launch after)
<<

hephaestus

Post Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:57 pm

I had the same problem, but I think it was from failing to save changes. As long as you set up a window on both computers and make sure that both regions have swap disabled (not just one), it will work. I had to completely restart TOR in order to get things working properly again.
<<

Stryka

Post Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:45 pm

Same problem here. As hephaestus said, turn 'Disable swapping' to 'true' in the Regions settings of both displays. Also make sure that 'Use Instant window swapping' is unchecked in the 'Window Layouts' settings.

Save, export to InnerSpace, restart your sessions, and you should be good to go.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:09 pm

I'll have to make sure this (Disable Instant Swapping )gets properly enforced for this game instead of hoping people know to do it :)

This has, after all, been one of the two main points in the how to multibox swtor on one PC post since I wrote it. ;) I've colored it red now.
<<

Mercbeast

Post Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:34 pm

Instant swapping was disabled. I relaunched TOR about 25 times. I redid the window setup at least as many times.

My ultimate solution was to disable both swapping and instant swapping. It works, it isn't as nice as it was that one night when instant swapping alone was disabled and I had a working hot swapping setup. This however works for now! It also had the tendency to force the primary window to the foreground at all times so that it is impossible to launch a second client if you forget to alt tab and drag it to the second display really quick!
<<

hephaestus

Post Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:58 pm

When I logged back in I had the same spinning problem again. It isn't quite as predictable as I thought. Of course once I got that functioning again I ran into problems with follow, which were far more of a showstopper for now on the multiboxing front...
<<

Mercbeast

Post Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:53 pm

Ok so for whatever reason last night after being up for around 40+ hours straight I decided to have another go at the problem in pure zombie mode.

First off. Occasionally and for whatever reason when ISboxer launches SWTOR the desktop is resized. How this happens I don't know, however I am not imagining it and other people have had this happen as well.

Secondly, I have full screen per character currently working with instant swap and swapping left on.

While in the aformentioned zombie mode I decided "what the hell" and made a new window config with it on. When ISboxer launched the launcher, and the launcher launched my first swtor client it resized me from 1920x1080. I manually changed the desktop resolution back to 1920x1080 and it caused the window to become size distorted and spill over onto my second monitor. Before I hit play on my second client, I exported all settings and it reloaded my client without the size distortion.

I then launched the second client. It loaded up without any problems when I loaded into game I clicked on the second window it swapped and better there was no insane spinning.

So good news is it is working. Strange news is that the fix was absolutely contrary to the explicit turn off instant swapping directions.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:53 am

Interesting, thanks for the information. Clearly I will need to do more research on this multi-monitor issue once the game is in my hands again (tomorrow likely)
<<

BioAndy

Post Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:35 pm

Had a whole reply laid out, very technical and then my wife got home. Had to step away and when I came back I was logged out and couldn't post. Argh!! lol

So, since this is my second time doing this post it will be quick. Lax if you need any additional info just send me a PM or email me at my usernames address.

If you go to C:\Users\Andy\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings\client-settings.ini and change the Width and Height values to say 800x600. The next time you start the game (using default launcher) your screen resolution is going to change to 800x600.

Now this file is written to every time the client closes.

Now through isboxer virtualization this problem still occurs.
I believe lax is doing this one of two ways.

He is either creating his own .ini file (character name) to use as a place holder and simply renaming that file to client-setting.ini on application startup (Don't really think it's done this way, as he is already hooking the keyboard/mouse/graphics). And then copying the client-settings.ini to the placeholder on application exit.

or

He is hooking into the application (reading memory, setting protection level, changing path) and supplying the virtual file for startup.

The problem with either of these methods is that in both cases when the application closes it writes out data to the file.
So if we have 1 client on our left monitor at a size of 800x600, those values get written out to the file. Now the next time we start Isboxer and launch the clients we get our screen resolution changed.

This is a problem with Bioware, just happens to affect us becuase of how we use the application. For the user that just plays the game fullscreen_window on his main monitor this is not going to come up.

Now I have spent about 20 hours writing my own little test application to test some of the more important features to mutliboxing. (Mostly becuase I was worried when lax said in a different thread that he needed to disable instant swapping for SWTOR- Nooooooooooooo :P)

So far I have all the "fun" non-tedious aspects coded (hooking into the client (keyboard/mouse/graphics etc...)). The app has the above problem fixed along with keyboard+mouse broadcasting(fast), window swapping etc...
I have no intention of doing anymore. So if you need any info or even the source just let me know.

Finally,
Hope this helps! Love IsBoxer btw!
Next

Return to Star Wars: The Old Republic