FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

having trouble connecting to one of two computers

Moderator: MiRai

<<

ThatISboxerguy

Post Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:02 am

having trouble connecting to one of two computers

I am unable to connect to one of my PCs with multiple computer helper. This is the error I get:

| 07:54:48 ISBoxer: Initiating connection to Computer 'SUPERSAIYAN1' via
108.24.77.242:10101
Attempting to connect to 108.24.77.242 on port 10101
Connection to 108.24.77.242 on port 10101 failed

The other computer that is part of my box team boots up fine and that computer is able to connect with supersaiyan1. I am unable however to get my main computer to connect with the other computer and i dont know why. If I copy and export from my main computer it wont effect supersaiyan1 (I had it work once, but it hasnt since) however if I copy and export to all computers from supersaiyan1 it works.

I've disabled the fire wall, windows defender, linked all computers together on my home group, restarted both isboxer innerspace and my computers and now im out of ideas.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:17 am

Re: having trouble connecting to one of two computers

Your IP address would indicate it is an external address, rather than an internal address, so the connection would more than likely be going out to the wild world of the internet (unless you're running your own DNS server AND your computers have permanent IP's assigned - because they are exposed servers in a DMZ or something), and more than likely be blocked either by your router, which may not be allowing loopback from internal requests to the external address, or by the routers SPI firewall (or lack of port forwarding), or just by a poor NAT implementation.

Normally internal addresses are in the range of
◾10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
◾172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
◾192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255
<<

ThatISboxerguy

Post Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:25 am

bob wrote:Your IP address would indicate it is an external address, rather than an internal address, so the connection would be going out to the wild world of the internet, and more than likely be blocked either by your router, which may not be allowing loopback from internal requests to the external address, or by the routers SPI firewall (or lack of port forwarding), or just by a poor NAT implementation.

Normally internal addresses are in the range of
◾10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
◾172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
◾192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

The IP address is only there because I was changing IP Address/hostname on and off trying to get it to work. Ignore that element because it does not work with or without it
<<

bob

Post Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:27 am

Try using the correct internal IP address
<<

ThatISboxerguy

Post Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:29 am

Well, it works now.

I changed every port number to 10102 after reading someone did that in a thread and the computers connected but immediately disconnected so i changed the port back to 10101 and now they're connecting without a single issue.

Gotta love windows
<<

ThatISboxerguy

Post Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:30 am

bob wrote:Try using the correct internal IP address

It didn't make a difference, it connected fine with that IP as I said, ignore that element.
<<

ThatISboxerguy

Post Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:34 am

Sorry if that came off rude, I have been frustrated as all hell for 4hrs trying to get this to work I didn't mean to come off rude, it was just a simple case of:

<<

bob

Post Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:39 am

Reread your initial post (yes I see you've got it working, but I typed this out and didn't want to waste it).

Multiple Computer helper connects on 10102. InnerSpace connects on 10101. The message you are reporting is the InnerSpace connection (yes it says ISBoxer, but that is the ISBoxer script trying to use the InnerSpace service).

Trying to run both InnerSpace and Multiple Computer Helper on the same port will never work as you don't know which service actually manages to open the listener port (usually InnerSpace actually, only by virtue that you probably have it running first).

Multiple Computer Helper is also using a broadcast to detect the other computers also running multiple computer. Normally you will need to make sure that each ISboxer is listening on 10102 (use can use nbtstat, TCPView or other services), and you need to know that your network does not block broadcast packets (which some home routers do, especially between guest wireless networks, and sometimes between wireless and wired).

For InnerSpace though, usually you need to set the appropriate settings in the InnerSpace configuration, then Exit InnerSpace (from the r/click menu), and then Start it up again, on all computers. This is so it can initialize and open the correct port (and hopefully complain if it cannot, or give your firewall a chance to indicate that InnerSpace wants to open the port).

Oh, and despite it being disabled, the Windows Firewall service does not always shut down cleanly, so a reboot after disabling it is usually required.
<<

ThatISboxerguy

Post Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:47 am

bob wrote:Reread your initial post (yes I see you've got it working, but I typed this out and didn't want to waste it).

Multiple Computer helper connects on 10102. InnerSpace connects on 10101. The message you are reporting is the InnerSpace connection (yes it says ISBoxer, but that is the ISBoxer script trying to use the InnerSpace service).

Trying to run both InnerSpace and Multiple Computer Helper on the same port will never work as you don't know which service actually manages to open the listener port (usually InnerSpace actually, only by virtue that you probably have it running first).

Multiple Computer Helper is also using a broadcast to detect the other computers also running multiple computer. Normally you will need to make sure that each ISboxer is listening on 10102 (use can use nbtstat, TCPView or other services), and you need to know that your network does not block broadcast packets (which some home routers do, especially between guest wireless networks, and sometimes between wireless and wired).

For InnerSpace though, usually you need to set the appropriate settings in the InnerSpace configuration, then Exit InnerSpace (from the r/click menu), and then Start it up again, on all computers. This is so it can initialize and open the correct port (and hopefully complain if it cannot, or give your firewall a chance to indicate that InnerSpace wants to open the port).

Oh, and despite it being disabled, the Windows Firewall service does not always shut down cleanly, so a reboot after disabling it is usually required.

I saw you tell someone else the same thing about multiple computer helper connects on 10102 which is what gave me the idea to try it. - viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7177

For some reason trying that port allowed the computers to communicate with one another because the second I switched all computers back to 10101 it worked fine. The mystery of computers

Return to Multiple Computers