FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Problems connecting 2 PCs using xover cable?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

jwyndels

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:44 pm

Problems connecting 2 PCs using xover cable?

Hey guys. Kind of new to this. Anyway, I'm trying to get my main PC to "see" my other pc via multiple computer helper but to no avail. If I connect them over the wireless network they work but I keep getting the following error when attempting to do it directly via cable.

Could not communicate with PCNAME (xxx.xxx.x.xx) to retrieve data

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because host has failed to respond xxx.xxx.x.xx:xxxxx

Am I missing something? Can this type of connection not be used?
<<

Xeniaz

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:13 pm

Re: Problems connecting 2 PCs using xover cable?

In order to assist you further with this problem, a few details would make things a bit easier. You mentioned that you are trying to use a crossover cable. Are you connecting the two computers directly, or going through a switch or router?
<<

jwyndels

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:31 pm

Yeah sorry about the lack of detail :(

Both Win7 machines. PC is the main, followed by a laptop. I'm using the crossover cable to directly connect both PCs. Not going through a switch. IPs are manually assigned. I can file share and such no problem through the connection. Before I forget I am running AVG on my main system but in trying to troubleshoot this myself I disabled AVG with no change in results. I am currently operating through my wireless network at the moment so this isn't like a situation critical type of problem but annoying non-the-less. The reason I want the direct connection is strictly to do with less latency although in all honesty things seem to run smoothly via the wireless network.

Hope that's enough info for ya. On a side-note what an awesome program. Took some reading and playing around with but it sure works nicely.
<<

Xeniaz

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:58 am

My suggestion would be to use a decent gigabit switch to connect both of the systems together. That aside, in isboxer you may be able to resolve the issue by using the IP address for the other machine rather than the computer name used on the network and see if that fixes things. If things aren't working after that we'll have to see if Lax has an idea about what might be causing it.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:07 am

If they are successfully networked, the error probably has nothing to do with the method of networking. Make sure the firewall on each PC is allowing the communication, etc... TCP port 10102 for allowing ISBoxer itself to communicate with the other ISBoxer, and TCP port 10101 for allowing Inner Space to communicate with the other Inner Space.
<<

jwyndels

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:31 pm

Ok. I've got to go too work shortly but I'll give those suggestions a try.

Return to Multiple Computers