FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Understanding how the computers talk to each other

Moderator: MiRai

<<

mo_ron

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:47 pm

Understanding how the computers talk to each other

I'm working on adding a second computer to my innerspace config and I'm hoping to find some clarification how things work when using multiple computers.

I'll have two characters sets. Character Set A will run on Computer A. It will launch Character Set B which will run on Computer B. The way I work my characters sets now it that I utilize the executing of a given mapped key when the set is loaded/reloaded to put certain characters into target groups, assign virtual mapped keys, etc.

I'm not sure how this will work with multiple computers. When I run that initial mapped key for Character Set A, do I assign only characters in Character Set A to target groups and let a different mapped key attached to Character Set B handle assigning its own characters to the target groups? Or does the assignment of target groups and other functionality need to be set on the main machine, (Computer A in this context) and the slave machines do nothing more than forward commands to the characters they are responsible for?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:07 pm

Re: Understanding how the computers talk to each other

When I run that initial mapped key for Character Set A, do I assign only characters in Character Set A to target groups and let a different mapped key attached to Character Set B handle assigning its own characters to the target groups? Or does the assignment of target groups and other functionality need to be set on the main machine, (Computer A in this context) and the slave machines do nothing more than forward commands to the characters they are responsible for?

The entire configuration is shared between the two PCs, and the behavior of assigning a Key Map, ATG (especially these), etc is not much different than how it works on a single PC. The main thing is just that you're making 2 Character Sets that are effectively treated as one.

If you want to see what it's like to assign a Key Map to set A but not set B over 2 PCs, then assign it to character A but not character B on the same PC (without assigning it to the entire set, which means that it would be on both A and B regardless of whether they individually are listed). The main thing this does is prevent those Hotkeys from having an effect if you press them in a window without them assigned. It also would prevent their indirect use via Do Mapped Key Action, a Click Bar, etc. That's about it, so if you want it to work when you're playing in that window then assign it, or if you want to tell that computer to perform a Mapped Key in it, it also needs to be assigned.

You do most likely want to have a Repeater Profile attached to both, either way. Just don't turn on Mouse Broadcasting in all windows at once, because the two active windows (one on each PC) will fight over the mouse position and make it jerky. ;)

Return to Multiple Computers