Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:42 pm

Re: Mouselook issues on multiple PCs

Going to see what I can dig up now. Thanks for the reminder
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:28 pm

Fixed in Inner Space build 5460! Just restart Inner Space and let it patch up. Enjoy. :)

Sorry about the delay of course :(
<<

Ughmahedhurtz

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:12 pm

This is possibly worse than before. The active window on PC2 doesn't jump around like mad anymore but it:

• pans left at 50% of the 2nd PC's non-active window rate
  • pans right at 10% rate
  • pans down at twice the rate
  • does not pan up at all

I'm also noticing that the 2nd (non-active) window on my main PC and the non-active windows on PC2 rotate at about 70% of the speed of the main/active window.

This is with my TAB key set to enable mouse-repeat while held. If I toggle mouse repeat on with another key (pause) and then pan, the non-active windows on PC1/PC2 track at about 95% speed but the active window on PC2 still tracks at the above fractionals.

I have some screenshots that show the positions after panning -- I'll link them after dinner.

[edit] My config is here: http://privatepaste.com/46c88c9da4 Note that I hold down TAB to mouse broadcast normally. I added a call to the enable/disable mapped keys in my PAUSE (enable repeater) mapped key to test the differences between held and not held.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:29 pm

Okay no problem, I will conduct further testing. What you're describing is actually much easier to fix than tracking down the initial issue. ;)
<<

Ughmahedhurtz

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:44 pm

lax wrote:Okay no problem, I will conduct further testing. What you're describing is actually much easier to fix than tracking down the initial issue. ;)

lol...well that's good to hear. :D
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:17 pm

Okay I have a test build for you. Right click IS, select Patcher, check "Download development (test) patches" and then close and restart Inner Space. the build number is the same, but 2 files are changed.

This should get you closer to perfect...
<<

Ughmahedhurtz

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:20 pm

lol...this is fascinating. I'd love to know what you're tweaking here. :p

With the latest dev build:

Table is resulting angles on all clients in degrees. Note that I'm slowly panning around, though I have tried panning faster and it doesn't seem to have a noticeable effect on things.
PCname([a]ctive/[i]nactive[client#])
y = up/down, -90 = straight down, +90 = straight up
x = left right, -90 = straight left, +90 = straight right, +360 = full circle right around to start position

Holding TAB to broadcast:
Code:
Main(a) - Main(i) - Alt(a) - Alt(i1) - Alt(i2)
y-80      y-90      y-70     y-70      y-70
y+80      y+90      y+70     y+70      y+70

x-90      x-70      x-95     x-70      x-70
x+90      x+70      x+95     x+70      x+70

x-180     x-90      x-183    x-90      x-90
x+180     x+90      x+180    x+90      x+90

x-360     x-210     x-365    x-210     x-210
x+360     x+210     x+365    x+210     x+210

While holding tab, if I keep broadcasting from main(active) but watch the alt window and reposition it back to zero, all alts return exactly to zero, so this is proportional in both directions now.

Toggling repeater+mouse broadcasting (pause key):
Code:
Main(a) - Main(i) - Alt(a) - Alt(i1) - Alt(i2)
y-45      y-45      y-90     y-45      y-45
y+45      y+45      y+90     y+45      y+45

x-90      x-90      x-210    x-90      x-90
x+90      x+90      x+210    x+90      x+90

x-180     x-185     x-310    x-85      x-85
x+180     x+185     x+310    x+85      x+85

x-360     x-330     x-630    x-330     x-330
x+360     x+330     x+630    x+330     x+330

Yep, rotating the active window on the main PC active window rotates the active window on the alt PC 1.75 rotations.

Just to make sure, I verified that on all Rift clients, the mouselook speed is set to 2. Both PCs also have the Microsoft Intellipoint control panel installed, their "Enhance pointer precision" option enabled and the pointer speed is set to the same tick mark in the slider. I tried disabling the "Enhance pointer precision" option and it did not change the proportional difference in pan speed.

I also notice that if I hold down the mouse button and pan all the way around, then release the button and click and hold it again immediately, sometimes the main will "snap" to the same angle as the others. Very, very strange. I also notice that, with my taskbar on the left side of my desktop (next to my leftmost Rift window) I'll occasionally see tooltips popup from the taskbar like I'm hovering over there when I pan far enough left, and watching closely if I broadcast pan left fast enough, I'll see the normal windows cursor flicker over the taskbar briefly.

Hope all this info helps. I know it can be rough diagnosing remote issues. ;)

[sidebar] *sigh* I really wish Trion would add a default camera angle "reset" keybind. :P
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:27 pm

I can keep banging away at it, but I won't have time this weekend.

Part of the problem here is that there's a bunch of scaling and re-scaling going on for your window layouts, and 1 pixel of mouse movement in one window does not necessarily equal 1 pixel of mouse movement in another window. I can keep trying to get this closer, but you could also likely fix it by having the windows actually at the same size and resolution ;) You can use Video FX to display the windows at any scale you want in a dxNothing window, while keeping the real windows at the same resolution.

The task bar thing you're noticing is because Rift "captures" mouse messages and allows the cursor to move out of the window. WoW and some other games on the other hand will continuously re-center the mouse while the cursor is hidden, and so this issue is never exposed under normal circumstances. And then some other games lock the cursor into the game window. I can technically change Rift's behavior...
<<

Ughmahedhurtz

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:15 am

lax wrote:you could also likely fix it by having the windows actually at the same size and resolution ;)
I tried setting all 5 clients/regions to the same size and in-game resolution and that did make all 4 alts (including the active window on PC2) scale the same as each other, though all 4 were only panning at 75% of the rate of my main even with all resolutions the same. I don't understand why the only problem I had before was the active window on PC2 was fritzing out but the rest all panned accurately, and now the active window on PC2 doesn't fritz out but none of the alts pan at the same speed as my main. I will say that the panning is consistent now between holding TAB to mouselook and toggling mouselook with my repeater toggle.

With regards to the time you're investing looking at this, am I the only person seeing/reporting this problem? Frankly, if I'm the only person noticing a problem, I'd probably label this "Will Not Fix" or "Deferred to a later build" as I do have a workaround in build 5452. Do other folks run split clients (2+ on one, 2+ on another, broadcasting from main to alt PC) and are not seeing this behavior?

I'll experiment with the VideoFX layouts tomorrow when I've had some sleep.
Previous

Return to Multiple Computers