FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Mouselook issues on multiple PCs

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Ughmahedhurtz

Post Sat May 21, 2011 5:05 pm

Mouselook issues on multiple PCs

Hi, all. ;)

While I think I've gotten most of the basics up and running in Rift, I'm having a strange quirk I can't quite figure out.

Setup:
Main PC = 1 client
Alt PC = 3 clients, same size, swapping disabled, full-size reset region setup so they scale to the same rez as my main on the other PC.

I can click on all buttons OK, cursor position is accurate and I can drag macros/spells to button bars just fine.

When I hold down a mouse button to rotate the camera or my character, the mouse cursor in the active window on the opposite PC jerks around madly. I've tried disabling mouse broadcasting on all windows on the other PC but that just disables the mouse repeater entirely.

[edit] Sorry! Forgot to add my config info:
Rift is the game I'm seeing it with.
Using Input Director for KVM functionality.
Main PC: Windows 7 x64, NVidia GTX460, one client, full render settings.
Alt PC: Windows 7 x32, NVidia 8800GT, 3 clients, low-quality render settings.
Last edited by Ughmahedhurtz on Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon May 23, 2011 7:02 am

Re: Mouselook issues on multiple PCs

I'll have to look into that.

There is a known issue with mouse broadcasting (on multiple PCs) in certain games that I've been working on tracking down, and it specifically happens in the active window. The bug is that if you use IS to move the mouse in the active window (e.g. by broadcasting a position change), and then physically move the mouse, the cursor jumps back to its previous position.

This was previously only reported in LOTRO (you will even find posts from Creo complaining that this isn't fixed yet! Sorry Creo, I have been trying). I'm actually glad this is now reported in another game, that usually helps track it down in a big way. Like, after I spend 8-10 hours last week trying to find the problem in LOTRO it'll take 20 minutes to find the problem in RIFT and it will apply equally to LOTRO, something ridiculous like that.

Anyway, appreciate the bug reports, let's see what I can do about it ;)

in the meantime, simple workaround: avoid having an active window. Since you have swapping off it's not as painful, just open up a window (like notepad) and select it for focus, and then the game windows should operate just fine.
<<

Ughmahedhurtz

Post Mon May 23, 2011 7:36 pm

lol...I hear ya about the crazy bug reproduction issues. Gotta love working in software. :D

The workaround of setting something else to focus works. Thanks!

[edit] The issue I was having where region 1 on the second PC was getting stuck full-size in the reset region is still happening with 519.1, which (I think) included a patch note that it was supposed to be resolved. Did you want me to create a separate post for that one?
<<

Ughmahedhurtz

Post Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:40 pm

Any updates on this problem? I took a quick stroll through the changelogs for IS and ISB and didn't notice anything obvious. I'll be happy to assist with debug or fix verification if it would help. ;)
<<

Ughmahedhurtz

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:49 am

Updated OP with config info. Sorry 'bout that. Let me know if there's anything else that would help.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:29 am

Thanks, I'll see if I can reproduce the issue(s)
<<

Ughmahedhurtz

Post Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Added youtube video of the bug just to make it clear what I'm seeing here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWZnJpO-xO0
<<

Ughmahedhurtz

Post Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:19 pm

Just to eliminate variables, I shut down Input Director (no KM software at all running) and the alt game with focus still spins around madly when mouse broadcasting.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:41 am

Thanks for the details, sorry I have not had time to test this one yet :( I will get to it asap
<<

Ughmahedhurtz

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:26 pm

Any updates?
Next

Return to Multiple Computers