FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Strange issue with performance.

Moderator: MiRai

<<

4myeveonline

Post Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:10 pm

Strange issue with performance.

I run 7 mining clients at 5760x1080. I don't use DXnothing as I was told just having it show up in the EVE online log will get you banned via direct conversation with ccp Pedigo (for client modification). I do add a few sources and viewers from each client to make it easy to just mouse click on my char picture to switch windows. I don't use click thru. The more viewers and sources I add the more FPS I lose. I set 15/70 but only manage to get 40ish FPS running 7 clients. Also my Microstudder goes way way up. With no video FX profile loaded I get 316-321 FPS and 3.1-3.8 ms if I turn off frame limiting. I have played with cpu affinity inside the cpu wizard and outside just setting it manually with no increase in performance. I have a 1080TI 2025mhz core and 5880MHZ mem and run a Threadripper 1950 @3.9 all core and 16gig ram. I am using half my system memory and less then half my video memory. 4C and 4T to each client. no change if I assign all cores to each slot.

Now the weird thing is I do the crazy thing and raise my resolution to 115020x2160 (Three 4k screens)all graphics maxed out except AA I get the same 40ish FPS with video FX profile loaded. my in station fps average is 65-89 FPS without the profile loaded its not really playable as ship spinning and npc/ asteroid belts bring it down to below 30.

Why would the FPS be 40 ish no matter what the graphics are set to with a VFX profile loaded? Again I am not using DXnothing. I can find no service that I can assign more cpu or resources too. My videofx proflie does not seem to stress the video card at all and isn't showing any additional significant cpu time (threads) maybe 1-2% on a core but I can't even trace it... it's indistinguishable. The micro stutter is weird. I know all this would be resolved with DXnothing but again The head security guy at ccp has theory crafted that you wouldn't run DXnothing unless you were cutting and pasting the client up into pieces and thats a perma ban now so I'll Pass. I wish they would leave multiboxers alone and go after the bots we are there most dedicated players but thats another Thread. Anybody have a suggestion I don't think throwing yet to be released more powerful hardware at the issue is gonna work.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:56 pm

Re: Strange issue with performance.

4myeveonline wrote:I run 7 mining clients at 5760x1080. I don't use DXnothing as I was told just having it show up in the EVE online log will get you banned via direct conversation with ccp Pedigo (for client modification)
4myeveonline wrote:I know all this would be resolved with DXnothing but again The head security guy at ccp has theory crafted that you wouldn't run DXnothing unless you were cutting and pasting the client up into pieces and thats a perma ban now so I'll Pass.
Seems pretty harsh. I do have to wonder how they could tell. DXnothing.exe is a name of the program, and they might be sending running process information back (which would be new), but then if you renamed it, and called it JoesFriedBurgers.exe, then how would they know? I suppose they could md5 hash every executable on your system to match with approved ones, but I doubt they are doing that. It also seems a bad theory, as you could be using a DXnothing to display a smaller version of the WHOLE client window, which is not against their rules at all.

Just goes to show what a bunch of numpties CCP reps can be. Each to their own I guess.

As for your source/viewer problem. The Windows desktop composition is what is behind video fx, and many sources/viewers can have an impact on frame rate, although it should not be particularly much.
If you have multiple displays, you might try without vsync enabled. ISboxer should be forcing it off by default (setting on your character set), but if you have re-enabled it, then it could be part of the problem. You may need to disable it entirely via the driver, as DWM may still have vsync applied.
<<

4myeveonline

Post Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:28 pm

Re: Strange issue with performance.

Thank you for the Reply.

Yeah the desktop composition is what I was thinking too. That would explain why I am not finding any performance data in the form of additional threads, services or processes when loading a VFX profile. I remember back in the day you had to have AERO enabled in windows 7 to get Video FX to work at all. Also might explain why I get 3-5 extra FPS when I bring up my windows desktop to the foreground. I didn't mention that because my post was already TLDR. My other thought was the loss was related to the fact each client has to run in windowed/fixed screen or not true fullscreen due to fast switching. I could never get crossfire or SLI to work using ISboxer because of the limitation that use to or may still exist. I only have the single card now.

I once viewed the contents of a log that wss outgoing because it didn't delete its copy in SC. It was in the test server sc folder. It freaked me out because it reported a process running called REPEATER. I looked for days and could find no file or service named repeater contrary to the fact I had/have broadcasting disabled.

I was thinking it was the end of my EVE adventures. I had already been banned on 3 of my accounts the previous month for input automation. This was coming off the heels of the new 2015 input automation enforcement/try to be as vague as I can about the legality of multiboxing rule...rule. I check eve news and forum maybe 3 times a year. I just wasn't aware. to make matters worse they took 83 days to reply to my petition on a 30 day ban. I didn't use the previous beta/current piece of crap launcher. As for Vsync yeah its 100 off everywhere.

Return to Video FX