FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Adding 4k Scaling to older games with VFX

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Astaroth1999

Post Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:08 pm

Adding 4k Scaling to older games with VFX

So I play EverQuest and I recently got a new laptop that has a 4k monitor. The problem is that EQ does not have a scaling UI. This means I have two options:

1) Play without being able to see 90% of the text on my screen
2) Put the laptop into 1080 mode every time I play the game

These options sucks.

So what I did was set up the game in ISBoxer with a single character team - this character is setup in the window layouts region as running at 1920x1080. I then added a dxNoithing character which is scaled to 2565x1410 in the region manager (this fills up 100% of a 4k screen running at 150% scale in windows minus the task bar). I then added is1 vfx into the scaled dxNothing window there by up-scaling my 1920x1080 client into 2565x1410.

Here is how this looks:

First with the native client on top of the dxNothing window:

Now with just the dxNothing window showing:

The major question I have is: When using the mouse pass through (as I have to do in this setup) there is a noticeable lag - is there a way to make this feel more native and reduce the lag?
Last edited by Astaroth1999 on Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:40 pm

Re: Adding 4k Scaling to older games with VFX

You can always use the Window Layout Wizard, and set a 3D Render Size option for your single team character set.
As you will end up with a "single" region, you wont need to use VideoFX.

If you set this without mucking around with your Screen resolution, then the main region will be 4k (or 2565x1410 if you still want the 150% scaling), but rendered at 1920x1080.
<<

Astaroth1999

Post Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:47 pm

bob wrote:You can always use the Window Layout Wizard, and set a 3D Render Size option for your single team character set.

If you set this without mucking around with your Screen resolution, then the main region will be 4k (or 2565x1410 if you still want the 150% scaling), but rendered at 1920x1080.

Thanks dude, this is exactly why I posted this. You rock sir.
<<

Astaroth1999

Post Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:02 am

Astaroth1999 wrote:
bob wrote:You can always use the Window Layout Wizard, and set a 3D Render Size option for your single team character set.

Thanks dude, this is exactly why I posted this. You rock sir.

So this ended up creating a layout with 2 regions (region 1 = 3840x2114 and region 2 = 1920x1080 ) but no vfx group and the game window is just blank :( not sure if I am doing it wrong or it doesnt work with eq1?
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:22 am

It is supposed to create two regions. One region is the "reset" region, which sets the render size, the other region is the active region where it should be displayed afterwards. This method doesn't use VideoFX, which is why I said so in my other post.

It is possible that the niggly issue that has been cropping up lately, especially for Optimus laptops, will occur in this setup, and perhaps that in itself will provide some insight as to how that may be dealt with. I didn't think it would, but in hindsight, I guess it is effectively doing the same thing when making the windows smaller, just in reverse.

You may need to go back to using VideoFX instead. As to whether you can remove the lag from the mouse movement in a viewer, the answer is no. Because the viewer is generally 1 to 2 FPS behind the source window, it will always show a lag on the mouse cursor when you are seeing both the fake cursor and the source cursor. Just be aware that the cursor is in the same position as the source cursor, you are just viewing it getting there later.
<<

Astaroth1999

Post Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:38 am

bob wrote:It is supposed to create two regions. One region is the "reset" region, which sets the render size, the other region is the active region where it should be displayed afterwards. This method doesn't use VideoFX, which is why I said so in my other post.

It is possible that the niggly issue that has been cropping up lately, especially for Optimus laptops, will occur in this setup, and perhaps that in itself will provide some insight as to how that may be dealt with. I didn't think it would, but in hindsight, I guess it is effectively doing the same thing when making the windows smaller, just in reverse.

You may need to go back to using VideoFX instead. As to whether you can remove the lag from the mouse movement in a viewer, the answer is no. Because the viewer is generally 1 to 2 FPS behind the source window, it will always show a lag on the mouse cursor when you are seeing both the fake cursor and the source cursor. Just be aware that the cursor is in the same position as the source cursor, you are just viewing it getting there later.

Ah the Optimus thing makes sense. :( suck :(.

Return to Video FX