FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Erratic VideoFX

Moderator: MiRai

<<

ThaSpike

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:10 pm

Erratic VideoFX

Trying to replicate Advanced Video FX: No Holes!, but am getting very erratic behavior. First of, although I integrated the create videoFX in the swap key maps (see Profile) I have to manually execute that mapped key to get it to work. Sometimes no VFX appear at all, other times only a few appear, again other times only some appear in weird sizes (see attachments). In console mode it appears sources and viewers are all there, but some just don't show.

Here's the Profile! I made to test the no Holes thingy. First I just made it as described. I then altered some little thing to get it to work, unfortunately to no avail.

Made some screenshots below (don't mind the quality, reduced it to keep them small).
There should be 4 VFX headshots in a row.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (119.71 KiB) Viewed 16895 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (74.41 KiB) Viewed 16895 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (119.31 KiB) Viewed 16895 times
Last edited by ThaSpike on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

ThaSpike

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:16 pm

Re: Erratic VideoFX

Some more Screenshots
Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (88.42 KiB) Viewed 16890 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (71.56 KiB) Viewed 16890 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (71.86 KiB) Viewed 16890 times
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:30 pm

To get the Character Set to run the Mapped Key, you can set it on this property.

As for your other issues. I think it is probably a matter of timing, and things are all happening at the same time, and potentially tripping over each other.

1. I would create a DXNothing ATG and put your dxnothing characters in it, then change the initial target for the videofx creation to be "(all&~DXNothing)#1". In fact, I would actually be inclined to just target is1, is2, is3 etc directly. Then make sure the first 5 slots are always your characters, and slots 6+ are the dxnothings.
2. Separate out the actions into different mapped keys.. i.e. the Create all the Sources, Create Viewers (you will need 1 of these for each slot as you only want the 4 viewers at a time and with no holes), Toggle Viewers.
3. Create some mapped keys that need to call the previously mapped keys with Do Mapped Key Actions, at specific times when you need them. i.e. When you activate your character set, you want to Create the Sources only. When your slots activate these can create the viewers and toggle the status as necessary** (you can set a Perform this Mapped Key action on each slot - although you may need to add on to an existing one here).

For 3. I do a couple of things and take advantage of some variables in ISBoxer.
1. I have a mapped key called Activate Character Set. In this mapped key are a bunch of Do Mapped Key Actions, which call other mapped keys that setup stuff for me. Like VideoFX Sources.
2. I have a mapped key called Activate Slot. This is set to run on each slot in a character set. It in turn runs a bunch of Do Mapped Key actions. 1 of which is Set VideoFX Viewers {SLOT}. This {SLOT} variable is replaced by ISBoxer with the slot number, so I actually have 6 other mapped keys called Set VideoFX Viewers 1, Set VideoFX Viewers 2, Set VideoFX Viewers 3,, etc..

Note: this was an image I mocked a while ago to show the place to set mapped keys per slot, so it doesn't show the Activate Slot as described.
<<

bob

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:09 pm

And because I felt like it..
http://pastebin.com/raw/0ayqseeF

This is a keymap. Select All (CTRL+A), Copy (CTRL+C), then right click the Key Maps node in the top left of ISBoxer, and select Paste Key Map from Clipboard. It is named VideoFX so should not conflict with what you have.

There are a couple of tweaks I would probably do to the setup, but it should work out of the box if you set the Character Set setting for the Key Map to Activate Character Set, and on each slot of the Character Set, set them to run Activate Slot.

p.s. I should probably note that the reason for all the Mapped Keys, is that the actions in a mapped key run in order, but depending on the target there might be timing issues, and it is technically possible in some cases, that a longer running action might not finish before the next action is run (I could be blowing hot air here, but I think that is what is happening with your viewers and hide actions). So an easy way to remedy this is to use Do Mapped Key Actions, and all the actions in the called mapped key will be executed before the next action.... This means we can group all the things we want to have completed before the next bunch of actions take place.

/e whoops I stuffed it up slightly.
/e2 I've fixed it now as I realised I also stuffed some positioning elements too..... fm.... if you need to, grab it again before you harangue me for being rubbish at this stuff :D

/e3 updated paste again as it had a couple of errors as noted below.

In the Activate Slot mapped key, the last action should be to Set the Toggle Quest Windows to Step 1 on all. For some reason that doesn't paste in correctly. I suspect it is because the mapped key it refers to doesn't exist because it is being pasted in. This will probably always happen unless I reorder the mapped keys in the key map.
The first action in the Hide Quest Windows mapped key should be Quest1, not Quest5.
Last edited by bob on Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

ThaSpike

Post Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:08 pm

First of, thank for the effort Bob, you've helped me out in the past and came through again big time.

I firstly tried to implement this in my working pro config. Because I ran into these problem I made this test profile to find out what the problem is.Therefor some of the obvious things like "perform mapped key when char set is loaded" were not implemented. You've already, once before, explained about the timing issues, thought it might be something like that. Didn't know I could circumvent them with separate Mapped Keys.

Thanks for the Mapped Key you created. Gone try it out right away.
<<

ThaSpike

Post Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:36 pm

Tried out your Keymap, set it up like you described. The Game Window part works flawless. The Quest Windows unfortunately do not, when I press F8 nothing happens at all. I opened up the Control Panel to see what's wrong. The sources are all there, but when I switch chars the viewers only get created for a few milliseconds and immediately disappear again. Still a timing problem, even though the Destroy Quest Windows Mapped Key is above the Create VFX actions? I changed the VFX destroy actions in the Destroy Quest Windows Mapped Key to "All w/o Current" to see what happens. Now the viewers are all there when I open the Control Panel, but with it closed the Quest1 Viewer is always active regardless of the Toggle Quest Windows Hotkey (F8) and the others do the same as they did in my profile, some are there, others are not, plus some Viewer don't show only the VFX Source but the entire Game Window. After a complete restart of the Games the effect are different but similar: Holes in the no Holes setup :-(
<<

bob

Post Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:46 pm

In the Activate Slot mapped key, you might need to fix the last action, to be Set the Toggle Quest Windows to Step 1 on all. For some reason that doesn't paste in correctly. I suspect it is because the mapped key it refers to doesn't exist because it is being pasted in.

I also seem to have not done the first action in the Hide Quest Windows correctly either... It should be Quest1, not Quest5.

If you still have issues after that, in the Destroy Quest Viewers, set the target in them all to self (or Window: Current). See if that helps.

/e
Failing all the above, then the alternative is for your "Toggle" to be changed it looks like
Step 1
--- Do Mapped Key Action, Create Quest Windows Slot {SLOT} Active, Target - Window:Current
Step 2
--- Do Mapped Key Action, Destroy Quest Windows, Target - Window:Current

If you do this, then remove the 3 actions from the Activate Slot mapped key for the Quest windows..
<<

ThaSpike

Post Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:26 am

Got it, the Problem at least.

Tried all of the above, none solved the Problem. Then I figured why should you constantly destroy and recreate the viewers, it might have been needed using Alge's No Holes Method, but with your method why? So I rewrote it all so that both the Sources and the Viewers get created with the Activate Character Set. Made two Mapped Keys, Sources first, Viewers next, then the Hide Quest Windows to all. And in game just use F8 to show/hide the Viewers, in the Window you're currently in, as needed.

Result: still a no go?!?!?!?!?! Same problem, some appear, others don't.

Opened the ISBoxer Control Panel again on all the windows and startet switching chars and pressing F8 at random just to see what happened and where it went wrong. And all of a sudden it hit me, worst of all, I've been seeing this behavior since I started playing around with this, but never put two and two together, till now. The Hide Quest Windows doesn't only hide the Viewers, it also hides the Sources!!!! So when the Character Set get's startet the Hide Quest Windows Key Map doesn't only hide the Viewers, it also hides all the Sources. Thus nothing is shown when pressing F8 (Sources are hidden). When I started randomly switching and pressing F8 I sometimes switched Chars without hiding the Quest Viewers of the Char I switched away from, so it stayed unhiden and therefore showed up when I pressed F8 on the other chars. And that is in my opinion the source of the problems we've been seeing here.

So the solution lies in finding a way to hide/unhide the Viewers separate from the Sources.
<<

ThaSpike

Post Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:52 am

Got the other part aswell, no solve though

The other problem I run into with this is that sometimes the Viewer doesn't show the contents of the VFX Source but the entire game window. If you look at the included pictures the one the top shows the problem, here it occurred simultaneously with all windows. The cause of this can be seen in the two pictures below the top one. Normally when I open the ISBoxer Control Panel, the VFX windows have a border and the typical green glow (picture in the middle) sometimes though the VFX windows have neither, no border and no green glow, but you can see they are not hidden because the text is still there (picture on the bottom, reduced quality makes it a little hard to see the text, but it's there). These weird Source Windows are the cause of this problem, whenever they occur the Source window doesn't work and you get the entire game window. The second thing this causes is that in the game windows where this happens the Viewers don't work either, the other part in the big puzzle. When I do an Export to Inner Space the VFX get reloaded and some that had borders before don't have them anymore and the other way around. I think these two things together explain all the strange behavior we've been seeing in this thread.

This leads me to another question I've been wanting to ask. Is there an ingame shortcut or key combination to trigger the reloading of the Menus and Key Maps that occur when Exporting to Inner Space, i.e. without actually exporting?
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (99.55 KiB) Viewed 16796 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (88.82 KiB) Viewed 16796 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (116.54 KiB) Viewed 16796 times
<<

bob

Post Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:18 am

I suspect you have some other issue going on. Whether it is some other software that is not playing nice, or some other bizzaro oddity. Maybe you have a RoundRobin CPU strategy and it is causing problems? idk.. Stranger things have happened.

The Show/Hide actions for VideoFX only operates on Video FX Viewers. Which is why the dropdown to select whether it is a viewer or source is disabled when you select either of those options, and is should have Video FX Viewer in the disabled dropdown.

I've got a setup with videofx, and it is configured pretty much as I described. It uses a combination of both destroy/create and show/hide for various viewers (mainly because I went one way, and then the other during the setup), so I know that both methods should work.

Now that all said, there are a couple of differences. 1 I don't do this in a WoW setup, not that it should make a difference, 2. I am on Windows 7. Again, not that it should make a difference, but it might be another thing if you are using Windows 10.

/e Also thought I should point out I haven't tested this under x64 InnerSpace, although that should not make a difference either, and I imagine there would be more reports if that were the case.
Next

Return to Video FX