FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

My EvE Online VFX woes

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Mosg2

Post Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:01 pm

My EvE Online VFX woes

I have noticed a few performance related issues with VFX that I'll share with you.

First, I use an I7 2600k that is moderately OC'd to 3.8k, 16 gigs of DDR3, and a GTX 770 4g video card.

My CPU usage does not increase linearly with the number of VFX viewers I have present. My original setup had 63 VFX on my main screen with 7 VFX sources per client. With all of them loaded, I was getting ~20 fps on my main and 100% CPU usage. No amount of tweaking with the CPU assignments solved the problem. As soon as I hid the VFX, back to capped 60fps. So, since I wanted to maintain all of the VFX, I checked to see if hiding the VFX in windows that were not focused fixed it.

Blam, went from 100% CPU usage/20fps to ~60% CPU usage/30fps. I don't know why, but ISBoxer/Innerspace/whatever was still using CPU to generate those VFX in my other 9 screens even when they weren't the focus window. Now, that still doesn't solve my problem as I went from terrible fps (for me) to only marginally better fps (for me).

So, how do I go about solving this problem, other than the obvious answers of A) buy a more powerful cpu and/or B) stop trying to use so many VFX you idiot.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: My EvE Online VFX woes

I think your only option is to start closing down viewers a few at a time while continuing to monitor the load on your hardware. This will help you figure out at what point your FPS begins to rise and then you can go from there.

Return to Video FX