FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

[EVE] Lag only when using Video FX

Moderator: MiRai

<<

EaTCarbS

Post Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:10 pm

Lag only when using Video FX

I've been trying to troubleshoot my issue for some time, and I hoped maybe having other folks dashing their brains on it might lead to a resolution.

Setup background - I'm running 9 EVE clients on two video cards, with 4 displays.

i7 930
12 GB Ram
GeForce 9600 GT
GeForce GTX 560

For some reason, I get very choppy FPS whenever I use Video FX. The more VideoFX items I use, the more lag I get. As soon as I close my DXnothing windows (which contain all my VidFX), my FPS instantly returns to 60+ levels. I've tried running my characters on multiple video cards, and putting them all on one video card, but the results have been the same. I tried running just 5 clients on one video card, and I still had the lag issue. I've set all of my clients to minimum graphics to no effect. At this point, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Video FX.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Lag only when using Video FX

It will probably help to pull some data to find out what exactly your bottleneck is.

HOWTO: Tweak your framerate, Identifying framerate bottlenecks

It might be CPU rather than GPU, so any GPU load balancing you're doing might be irrelevant. It might also be that you're running out of video RAM
<<

EaTCarbS

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:37 pm

Hardware Monitor Before loading Video FX:
http://i.imgur.com/JU2rShU.jpg

Hardware Monitor After loading Video FX:
http://i.imgur.com/39J0fzW.jpg

I highly doubt its the cpu bottlenecking. Running out of video ram seems more likely. I guess using Videofx takes more juice than I thought. I'll probably be upgrading my video card soon (one with more RAM), and I'll see how much better it runs.

I don't know if maxing out ram on one card would have an effect on the other card.
<<

EaTCarbS

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:26 pm

After some more testing, I'm pretty sure I've nailed it down to the Vram. I guess running vidfx was just the nail in the coffin. :P
I may repost in this thread when I upgrade to share the results.

Return to Video FX