FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Is this the most efficient way to swap windows?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Finney

Post Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:55 pm

Is this the most efficient way to swap windows?

Hi,

I've recently changed from a window layout with 4 slaves as small windows on my second monitor to a dxNothing screen there and all 5 characters stacked on my main monitor. I created 5 video feeds (is1-is5) and I set 4 of them up as visible in the dxNothing space.

Then I saved the sets--so for example I arranged is2-is5 feeds in dxNothing, saved it as video set "Auto" for startup or for when character 1 is swapped into the main window; I set is1 and is3-is5 in dxNothing and named that set "is2-focus," etc--so I have 5 different video set arrangements saved.

I then created 5 keymaps. As one example, I created keymap "SwapWindows_is2" with an action of "Load Video FX set named is2-focus/
Target: Character Slot:6(dxNothing)."

Finally, for each slot in the character set I put "When I switch to this character ... do this mapped key:" and pointed it to those keys, for example, for character slot 2 i execute the keymap "Noncombat/SwapWindows_is2."

It works fine, if perhaps there's a bit of flickering when I switch characters. But I was wondering with the other options available in some of the screens (destroy feed/create feed, that kind of thing), if this was the "best practice" for dxNothing swaps?

Thanks as usual for any help!
<<

Alge

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:36 pm

Re: Is this the most efficient way to swap windows?

I don't know whether I would call it "best practice" but I do not use Video FX Sets, I just manage the creation/hiding/showing and destruction of Video FX sources and viewers all with Mapped Keys. I wrote a guide for that method a while ago and I will be updating it in the near future.

Return to Video FX