FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Is the a hard limit on the number of Video FX Viewers?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

FuryOfNature

Post Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:02 pm

Is the a hard limit on the number of Video FX Viewers?

I seem to be hitting a limit on the number of Video FX Viewers I can create. In my current configuration, I have ISBoxer create 18 VFX sources and 36 VFX viewers. However the last 3 VFX viewers are not created. When I switch around the order of the VFX create actions, it is consistently the last 3 VFX viewers in the action list for the mapped key that do not work. So I seem to be consistently hitting some limitation. Would this be an ISBoxer / Inner Space limitation or would it be a capacity issue on my PC?

- Thanks
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Is the a hard limit on the number of Video FX Viewers?

There is no limitation on ISBoxer's part. it's entirely possible that you are hitting a Windows or driver limitation, or video ram
<<

FuryOfNature

Post Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:42 pm

Ok, thanks Lax. I will re-think my approach to cut down on how to many I have instantiated at once.
<<

Alge

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:17 pm

I would try breaking your mapped key up into sub mapped keys and then calling each of those (via a Do Mapped Key Action) from another Mapped Key.

I was planning on adding some more sources and viewers today so will see if I run into any limitations.

EDIT: ok, I have confirmed it is possible to have more than 18 sources and more than 36 viewers.

Something else I discovered when playing around is that if you try to create multiple viewers with a single action (for different slots, for example) and the target includes the slot where the viewer is all of the viewers are created (i.e. mousing over them can trigger a mapped key) but don't show their sources. I would have expected only the viewer for the source slot not to be visible.
<<

FuryOfNature

Post Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:55 am

Alge wrote:I have confirmed it is possible to have more than 18 sources and more than 36 viewers.

Thanks Alge. That's good to hear.

I'm creating my VFX sources and some 'static' VFX viewers when a character set is loaded. I'm then using 'dynamic' VFX viewers which I swap between using hot keys. I've now done some testing comparing a show/hide method and a create/destroy method for my dynamic viewers, and I cannot perceive a visual difference between the two methods on my system. I had incorrectly assumed that creating all of my viewers in advance and then showing/hiding them would give me better "re-draw" performance. Well, you know they say about assumptions... Creating and destroying my dynamic viewers on-the-fly is working great, looks fine and is avoiding the resource constraint I had encountered earlier.
<<

Alge

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:59 am

That's good to know about the create/destroy approach. I may switch to that in the future. Thanks for the heads-up.

Return to Video FX