FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

dxNothing GPU affinity

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Tehtsuo

Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:14 am

dxNothing GPU affinity

Ok, I'm going to put together a wall of text post so I can provide all the details about the problem I'm encountering and what I've done to try and fix it unsuccessfully.

Profile paste for anyone who wants to go digging: http://privatepaste.com/d5437691ad

Last night I tried to add my old video card to my setup, because I got the modular power supply cable I needed. So instead of a GTX560 and a Lenovo USB>DVI adaptor, I have a GTX560 and a GTX260. I have a 23" and a 24" monitor both connected to the GTX560 and a 19" connected to the GTX260. My intention is to run everything on the GTX560, including 5 stacked slots of WoW on the 23" and 1 dxNothing slot on the 24" for management. This leaves the 19" for web browsing, netflix, and other nonsense.

The problem I'm having, is even though no part of my multiboxing setup is on the GTX260 monitor, the dxNothing window is using the GTX260. I can tell because when I launch my character set, the GTX260 shows 0% utilization while the WoW windows are launching - all the load goes on the GTX560. When the dxNothing window launches however, the GTX260 immediately spikes to 30%, and both my WoW windows and the dxNothing window drop to a fraction of their normal fps. I've tried a large amount of troubleshooting to resolve the issue, which I'll list below:

Unplugged 19" monitor, so no monitors are connected to GTX260. Setup behaves normally. Upon connecting the 19" monitor to the GTX260, load is immediately transferred to that GPU, and everything gets choppy. If I close the dxNothing window, load goes back to 0% and everything returns to normal.

Generated countless new Window Layouts using the wizard. Tried turning off instant swapping, also set allow cross gpu to false. Also tried putting all slots on one of the GTX560 monitors. No dice on either one.

Launched IS console from the dxNothing window, used "echo ${Display.Monitor} to verify the session thinks it's on a monitor on the GTX560.

Removed dxNothing character from Slot 6, replaced with one of my extra WoW characters. Setup works correctly. (I guess I could use WoW.exe instead of dxNothing.exe for my video feeds, but it seems like a poor alternative)

When I started all this, my monitors on the GTX560 were labelled \\.\Display5 and \\.\Display6, and the one on the GTX260 was labelled \\.\Display1. I determined this was because I had my GTX260 in PCIE slot 1, and the GTX560 in slot 3. I decided maybe dxNothing defaults to using the first display available, so I swapped them. Now the GTX560 monitors show as \\.\Display1 and \\.\Display2, and the GTX260 monitor shows as \\.\Display5. No dice unfortunately, although the airflow in my case is more efficient this way, so I'm going to keep it.

Tried updating to the development build in Innerspace just in case, no luck there.

It seems like dxNothing.exe is overriding all hints at what I want it to do and being dead set on using my GTX260. I'm assuming it's a proprietary Lax-made executable, so there won't be any documentation anywhere online. Hopefully him or someone here can offer some more suggestions for me.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:57 am

Re: dxNothing GPU affinity

Perhaps I wasn't clear last night in the chat room: This sounds like a bug in either Inner Space or ISBoxer, and you will most likely just need to wait for me to debug it.

To explain...
dxNothing is just a slightly modified (stripped entirely) version of a Direct3D 9 triangle rendering sample. It is configured to use the default display adapter. <-- This part is supposed to not matter. ISBoxer and Inner Space are supposed to override the application's (in this case, dxNothing's) adapter selection to match your Window Layout, regardless of the game (or dxNothing) being played. In your case, that is apparently not working correctly?

When I started all this, my monitors on the GTX560 were labelled \\.\Display5 and \\.\Display6, and the one on the GTX260 was labelled \\.\Display1. I determined this was because I had my GTX260 in PCIE slot 1, and the GTX560 in slot 3. I decided maybe dxNothing defaults to using the first display available, so I swapped them. Now the GTX560 monitors show as \\.\Display1 and \\.\Display2, and the GTX260 monitor shows as \\.\Display5.

The display name (\\.\DISPLAY5, etc) is vital to ISBoxer getting your window on the correct GPU. If you change your monitors around, you may need to redo your Window Layout(s) to compensate.
<<

Tehtsuo

Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:03 am

Re: dxNothing GPU affinity

The display name (\\.\DISPLAY5, etc) is vital to ISBoxer getting your window on the correct GPU. If you change your monitors around, you may need to redo your Window Layout(s) to compensate.

Yep, I rebuilt my Window Layout so it would have the correct display name specified, no worries there.

Anyways, thanks for the reassurance, now I can stop worrying. Just wanted to make sure I've done my due diligence instead of being a standard complaining end user without a clue. I'll just sit tight now and hope for the best - although let me know if you need to use my system as a guinea pig or get any data from me.

Return to Video FX