FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Glyph no longer launching via ISBoxer (Dec 2016)

Moderator: MiRai

<<

AndyGilmour

Post Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:37 pm

Glyph no longer launching via ISBoxer (Dec 2016)

A while back, Glyph stopped launching via ISBoxer for me, which I initially ignored as I had a OS reinstall planned anyway, however the problem persists after the reinstall.

I am running windows 10 Pro 64, on a AMD 8350, 16G ram and a GTX 960, so am fairly confident its not a hardware problem.
I have checked fro Nvidia's Firewall, it dose not appear to be present, so bitdefender then became my favourite suspect, however it has not logged any interference with glyph/ISBoxer, and the problem persists while I have on the fly scanning disabled.

The ISBoxer console shows it starting Glyph, but no window ever appears (and yes it runs outside ISBoxer), with a boring ISBoxer config (2 characters, pretty much next all the way except for the window layout, which is also boring to the point of being lame :) . Anyway, window layout would be Post Glyph.

You refer to GlyphLauncher in the past, I should mention this now appears to be GlyphClient, which when run directly brings up glyph.

I have put the console cut'n'paste (with one obvious line of annotation added), The process list (from process hacker), and the full output od DxDiags at the following url (Unfortunately PrivatePaste seems to have gone the way of the dodo)

http://slightlysheepish.com/isboxer.txt

Let me know if there is any further information or tests I can run, and thank you in advance for your time.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Glyph no longer launching via ISBoxer (Dec 2016)

Normally, we ask for a diagnostic in this type of situation.
<<

AndyGilmour

Post Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:14 pm

https://ybin.me/p/ce28798df612b172#jMXg ... C5G79VLvY=

Now I notice GlyphClient.exe no longer lists as running, it seems to trigger GlyphClientApp.exe then terminate itself inside or outside isboxer, I'm fairly sure this is a recent behaviour change with Glyph. I lament the days before Glyph, it has always Trions problem child. Fine when it works, but when its broken its time to dance in the %AppData% folder...
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:17 pm

Both Bitdefender and the Nostromo software are hooking into the Glyph client, so I would suggest removing those from the picture.

For reference:
Code:
5. C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender 2017\Active Virus Control\Avc3_00098_003\avcuf32.dll [3.12.15976.6498] [BitDefender S.R.L. Bucharest, ROMANIA] [BitDefender Active Virus Control Usermode Filtering Library]
122. C:\Program Files (x86)\Belkin\Nostromo\nost_FSH.dll [3, 2, 1, 819] [eTEK Labs] [ActivatorHook]

The Nostromo software can probably just be shut down, whereas Bitdefender may need to be completely uninstalled, and then your computer then restarted before another attempt at launching the Character Set. However, it's good practice to shut down all unnecessary programs when attempting to figure out if there's a conflicting program somewhere (you have a lot of stuff running in the background).

If that doesn't work, then we'll need to see another diagnostic without, at least, the above programs running.
<<

AndyGilmour

Post Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:16 am

Hi, that got me a step further, alas Im still having problems.

I am however now away from home with family till after Christmas, so I will post the details of my new problem when I return.

Thank you again for your assistance so far, bitdefender was a "secret culprit"
(Nostromo is just a config loader for a programmable game controller, its hooks I'd think are just to prompt itself which controller profile to load )
<<

AndyGilmour

Post Fri May 05, 2017 1:59 pm

Hi folks.
Life just got a bit too busy to multi-box when I originally started this topic (good things not bad :) )

Now first things first, a fresh diagnostics, both hardware wise and software wise my machine has had significant changes.

https://pastebin.com/QLA72agb

Now a hat tip to Lavishsoft who kindly approved a new 7 day trial to let me test if I still had the problem, really appreciate that.

So after the last time, I tried completely uninstalling Bitdefender ( however that changed nothing (as I have about 3 years left with them, and in general really like bit defender, permanently removing it from my system is not really viable especially as I am self-employed and use the PC for work also, so a good antivirus is necessary. ))

I have at the moment tried closing a lot of the background programs and services, which also has not helped.

Primary areas I closed down were Oculus rift related and Vorpx which I could see potentially causing issues (vorpx is a directx interceptor to turn non-VR games into VR which I didn't have when I originally got this problem).

Now one of the rudest things someone can do in these help requests is to demand immediate attention from folks who are often trying to help out of pure goodwill, so allow me to explain MY timescale.
I have 7 days of "trial" subscription, so I'm looking to try to find and fix the problem before Tuesday. That leaves me time to break out a spare hard drive and I have a win 7 and win 10 key stashed and try to make a dedicated Rift (game not headset) and Isboxer drive. Doing that on the weekend would involve me being divorced as the missuz plays rift with me on the weekends :)

All help greatly appreciated, and I can handle fairly technical information.
<<

AndyGilmour

Post Fri May 05, 2017 2:05 pm

My topic title is completely wrong, now and earlier.

Glyph launches (game launcher) its rift.exe /rift64.exe that dont launch

I think I'm going to go and burry my head......
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Fri May 05, 2017 6:08 pm

Aye,

Looking at your pastes, you will ned to go through the standard process of shut down all the non-essential applications that are not part of what you are trying to achieve.
Essentially you want Windows, InnerSpace and Rift only. Everything else is just potential issues. Note for some things, like Bitdefender, you will probably need to uninstall it to make sure it is not running.

If it doesn't work at it basics, then it is probably a re-install Windows scenario (yes, this shit still happens sometimes). If it does work, great, you've figured out something else is being a PITA. Start putting stuff back that you can't live without and see if it still works until you find the culprit.
<<

AndyGilmour

Post Sat May 06, 2017 9:21 am

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have already done the "kill all non-essentials" thing.
I have not uninstalled Bitdefender this time, I did in the past and it made no difference, however, the glyph/rift folders are marked as exclusions (and its activity log does not mention rift/glyph). I do use this PC for work also, so removing Bitdefender would be the last resort.

I suspect I will need to invoke plan B, and on Tuesday and put a fresh OS on a spare hard drive, however, I will be most grateful for any suggestions before then that may help figure this out.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sat May 06, 2017 9:58 am

I don't have any more useful info, but just wanted to add that Glyph has always been a touchy beast when it comes to Windows, and usually any lack of updates or some weird corruption or even mismatch DLL's, which don't seem to cause issues elsewhere just seem to give grief with Inner Space and boxing. Also just happens to be few and far between that there isn't enough trace info to track it down (it might turn up one handily day). Sorry cant be much further help. If you've tried all the rest, then Plan B would at least let you prove it works on a minimal installation, and if it doesn't the answer would probably be in a driver version.
Next

Return to RIFT