FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

New Key String Action

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Asalom

Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:53 am

New Key String Action

I am trying to use the Key String Action in Rift. The problem occurs when I put the / or Enter into the same step as the keystring action. It seems like the game only receives the / or Enter commands skipping the keystring. I am trying to get this down to 2 steps maximum (1 even better) so I can execute the whole key map when I use press OR release one time. I've (finally) got it down to 2 keypresses, but for ergonomics would like to go to 1 keypress if possible.

Fireball
Step
1: / -> self (opens chat box and places /) keystroke action
2: cast fireball -> self (places key string "cast fireball" into chat box) keystring action
3: Enter -> self (hits enter, closing the chat box, casting fireball) keystroke action
Keymap Off -> self (disables the keymap, making the last release not go back to step 1) key map state action
Keymap On -> self in 2.1 seconds (enables the fireball keymap in 2.1 seconds) key map state action

I don't even know if this is a good idea in Rift. I would like to put all the spells into ISBoxer instead of making all the macros in game, or making sure they are on the correct action bar slot. A problem I see during writing this would be if I spam the key, it enables on the release, leaving the chat box open if I stop pressing the key. Looking for insight.

Thanks to all, especially firescue17 for his EQ guide, Mirai for his videos, Alge for the posts, and Lax for making ISBoxer. I'm still very noobish at ISBoxer, using it since March to box EQ. Wanted to try something different for a bit and put firescue17's principles to work in Rift starting from scratch.
<<

Asalom

Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:47 am

Re: New Key String Action

Is there a way when a mapped key goes back to step 1, to only start on a press not a release?

But after it has started again it continues with the press OR release functionality?
<<

Valerian

ISBoxer Support Team

Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:22 am

Not 100% sure what you're describing, but if you make it a 4-step mapped key you might get closer to what you want.

step 1: /
step 2: cast fireball
step 3: enter
step 4: <empty step for key-up> or possibly popup text action or other "filler" action.
<<

firescue17

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:25 am

Asalom wrote:I've (finally) got it down to 2 keypresses, but for ergonomics would like to go to 1 keypress if possible.
Keystring Action works differently (or not at all) in different games. 2 Steps may be the best you can do.

Asalom wrote:Is there a way when a mapped key goes back to step 1, to only start on a press not a release?
Set the Mapped Key to "Execute a Step when the Hotkey is pressed or released." In the Advanced settings of the Mapped Key check the toggle for "Reset to Step 1 after X seconds from the first Hotkey press." Set that timer to .5 or 1 seconds. In this manner the Mapped Key will always start on Step one.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:18 pm

If you're trying to cast every single spell in this manner then this is a terrible idea and I don't see how any good can come of this method when attempting to DPS. RIFT's macro system is very powerful and I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to create in-game macros if you had the chance to do so, and unless something has changed since I last played/looked, you should be able to create an efficient DPS rotation in literally a single macro.

I would strongly suggest that you learn how RIFT macros work before attempting to cast every single spell in the game by essentially "typing it out" through Key String Actions.
<<

firescue17

Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:25 pm

I definitely second that. The Key String Action is a pita. The only reason to use this in EQ is because there's no other option.
<<

Asalom

Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:19 pm

firescue17 wrote:
Set the Mapped Key to "Execute a Step when the Hotkey is pressed or released." In the Advanced settings of the Mapped Key check the toggle for "Reset to Step 1 after X seconds from the first Hotkey press." Set that timer to .5 or 1 seconds. In this manner the Mapped Key will always start on Step one.

This helped quite a bit. The problem still happens but not near as much.

Valerian wrote:
but if you make it a 4-step mapped key you might get closer to what you want.

This also helped even more. With these 2 options the problem may be resolved, I will try to explain what my problem is a different way in case y'all have better solutions.

starting this mapped key by pressing my hotkey
press key -- step 1 open chat box
release key -- step 2 paste text
press key -- step 3 close chat box + timer to turn mapped key off/on
mapped key set to activate on press OR release

Problem 1: when spamming the hotkey and when the mapped key resets to step 1, I could be activating it on a release leaving my toon with an open chatbox.

Problem 2: when spamming the hotkey and when the mapped key is on step 3, if I stop spamming the hotkey my toon has an open chatbox with pasted text.

What I think I am looking for is a way to make a mapped key only start on a key press but continue on with press OR release. This would solve problem 1. If the mapped key was only 2 steps I think that would solve problem 2.
Again with the 2 solutions this problem only happens when I really TRY to make it happen.

MiRai: wrote
I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to create in-game macros

1: it seemed like the thing to do to use the Like A Pro system, set up key maps for each soul, using Action Target Groups to plug those key maps into whichever slot was using that soul. Using virtualization I would never need to know which action bar key held what macro or ability. I could set up a mapped key that cycles thru instant cast abilities that do damage over time. I think I can do it in ISBoxer, not sure if I can in Rift macros.

2: It's fun for me. :D I like using ISBoxer probably more than I like playing MMO's. I like the challenge of setting things up and getting them to work correctly.

I will have to use macros in game until I can get this to work, but I like the challenge of trying it this way. This team is only level 15. Trying to start early learning how to set up all this stuff without using someone else profile and just changing the names.
<<

firescue17

Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:13 pm

Asalom wrote:I will have to use macros in game until I can get this to work, but I like the challenge of trying it this way. This team is only level 15. Trying to start early learning how to set up all this stuff without using someone else profile and just changing the names.
You may not EVER get it to work if you *have* to isolate the "/", the <keystring>, and the "enter" due to the odd number of steps (3).

The entire string has to be entered in 1 Step, or alternatively the first 1/2 on press and the second 1/2 on release with an immediate reset. Any method involving more than two steps will inevitably end up with an unterminated chat command at some point or another.
<<

firescue17

Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:27 pm

I used Rift to test some virtualization principles in my EQ Guide to see how they would "plug in" to a game I knew nothing about. I didn't accomplish anything more than running around the tutorial area and claim no in-depth knowledge of the game.

Out of curiosity, which Keystring method are you using:

1) Copy and paste from clipboard; or

2) the other funky method
    Action 1: /
    Action 2: k
    Action 3: e
    Action 4: y
    Action 5: s
    Action 6: t
    Action 7: r
    Action 8: i
    Action 9: n
    Action 10: g
    Action 11: Enter
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:14 pm

Asalom wrote:1: it seemed like the thing to do to use the Like A Pro system, set up key maps for each soul, using Action Target Groups to plug those key maps into whichever slot was using that soul. Using virtualization I would never need to know which action bar key held what macro or ability. I could set up a mapped key that cycles thru instant cast abilities that do damage over time. I think I can do it in ISBoxer, not sure if I can in Rift macros.

When using the Pro System virtualization is always the name of the game and you're typically spamming keys on your action bar, using a DPS macro (either in ISBoxer or in game), or a combination of both in order to go through your rotations. I personally don't see how Key String Actions can help create an efficient DPS rotation (unless it's your only option) because when you use Key String Actions you're going to be practically forced into creating rotations which will require multiple Steps in each Mapped Key so that the text you're trying to paste into the chat window doesn't end up pasting on top of each other and causing a conflict. I mean, what happens when you spam your DPS key too quickly and that ends up happening? Adding in a delay between each Step is only going to further drop the efficiency of the rotation, and I also don't see how you're going to easily account for ability procs when you're stuck with a 10-step, "hard-coded" rotation.

Asalom wrote:2: It's fun for me. :D I like using ISBoxer probably more than I like playing MMO's. I like the challenge of setting things up and getting them to work correctly.

I like configuring things in ISBoxer for hours on end as well which is perfectly understandable and you should obviously do what you want, but it's almost as if you're trying to dig a 20-foot deep hole with your bare hands rather than the shovel that's right next to you or the excavator that someone was nice enough to leave behind with the keys in it.
Next

Return to RIFT