FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Managing channelling?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Meshuggenah

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:07 am

Managing channelling?

Hey,

Anybody figured out a way to manage channeled abilities as part of a rotation?

They work fine by themselves, but if you include them in a larger keymap rotation, they either get interrupted by your other skills or, if you use "do not advance", if forces the rotation to do nothing for 3 seconds if the ability was on cooldown.

Using Inquisitor as an example (seems like everybody has a Cleric group), how are you managing Nysyr's Rebuke?
The rotation is something like -

Scourge (15s DoT)
Vex (15s DoT)
Sanction Heretic (Instant Nuke +DoT, 15s CD)
Bolt of Depravity (on 5 stacks of LDC)
Nysyr's Rebuke when available (3s channel, 60s CD)
Bolt of Retribution (1.5s cast filler)

The rest of the rotation is simple to keymap. I just can't figure out how to manage Nysyr's Rebuke without either interrupting the channel with the next step or pausing the rotation for 3, resulting in a DPS loss if the ability was on cooldown.

Any ideas?

-- Edit

Well, I figured out that if you macro Nysyr's with Sanction/Bolt

#show Nysyr's Rebuke
suppressmacrofailures
interact
cast Sanction Heretic
cast Nysyr's Rebuke
cast Bolt of Retribution

It casts on cooldown and gets 2 ticks off due to the GCD delaying the next spell. Not ideal losing a tick of Nysyr's, but better than the alternatives I've been able to find.

Though, it just occurred to me that once my Cleric group is 58+, this solution won't work since your level 58 buff decreases GCD to 1 second.

-- Edit 2

Got it. I created an Action Target Group called "Inquisitors CD". The ATG only casts Fanaticism & Nysyr's and has a timer set to leave group after 3 seconds.

I hit a hotkey, they join group, cast Fanatacism / Nysyr's and then leave group (back to their normal rotation group) immediately after channel. Requires an extra keypress every 60 seconds, but it's not hard to remember if you create a small viewer window so you can see the Nysyr's cooldown from every window.

I'll leave the thread here incase anyone else has a similar issue. ATG timers are awesome :)
<<

Sarimash

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:02 pm

Re: Managing channelling?

Thanks! Was looking at this myself a few weeks ago (my team is my main cleric, and an alt account of each class) but quickly gave up because I didn't plan on trying anything difficult [read: harder than a GH1] until the accounts had their rep finished.

Definitely nice to see your thought progression here, and the suggestion about ATG timers is definitely going to reorganize my priorities learning the software.
<<

Meshuggenah

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:24 am

I use ATG's for just about everything. Should have occurred to me sooner to use them for managing channels. I did a small write up a while ago about using ATG's to manage a group http://isboxer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14963#p14963

I know it's a pain re-doing your setup but it's well worth it for the amount of extra flexibility ATG's give you.
<<

Sarimash

Post Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:18 am

Ooh, I'm reading that post now. My rig struggles running five accounts in open world (and I can barely handle two in tempest bay) so I try not to run addons much with them -- I figure even minimal overhead applied five times is going to cause a significant performance issue. That said, I can definitely see the strength of Gadgets and will look into that next time I play the team.
<<

Finney

Post Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:41 am

Some other techniques for managing cooldowns / channels are discussed here, if it helps.

Return to RIFT