FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Mouse cursor doesn't match in-game UI position

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Smedbox

Post Thu May 17, 2012 2:26 am

Mouse cursor doesn't match in-game UI position

Recently, I've started having a really weird problem with the mouse cursor and it's driving me nuts! I haven't changed anything except upgrading ISBoxer. This will be a little hard to explain.

The mouse cursor is offset along the vertical. It seems as if the mouse position is scaled, so that the game thinks the mouse position is higher up than it is. The difference increases the farther down on the screen you get. My screen is running at 1920x1200, Rift is running at 1920x1200 fullscreen, and my ISBoxer window layout is set with all regions on top of each other at [0,0] to [1920,1200]. I have 3 characters running on one PC and 2 characters on a second PC. I only have this problem on the main PC, not the 2nd. All five characters are using the same ISBoxer window layout. Both PCs run at the same resolution.

The problems means that to be able to click on an in-game button, I have to click a bit further down on the screen than where the button is. It also means that repeating mouse movement and mouse clicks is impossible.

If I set the in-game resolution to 1920x1160, the mouse cursor will line up fairly well with the mouse positions sent to the game. If I set the in-game resolution to 1920x1080, the mouse cursor will be scaled upwards instead and won't match with the in-game UI anymore. It could also be that it's not a scaling issue and it's just offset by the Windows taskbar size and I'm just imagining that it's a problem with vertical resolution mismatch... If I run the game normally without ISBoxer, the mouse cursor will line up just fine with my normal in-game resolution at 1920x1200.

Any ideas?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu May 17, 2012 8:25 am

Re: Mouse cursor doesn't match in-game UI position

What build number of Inner Space are your computers on? To find out, hover your cursor over the Inner Space icon in the system tray (the one you usually right click on).

Build 5616 is the current live build. It's possible that you just need to update it on your main PC to fix the bug -- in initial testing I can't reproduce your issue with 5616. (This is an issue I am familiar with and have been recently working with)
<<

Smedbox

Post Thu May 17, 2012 1:26 pm

Both machines run latest (5616).

While pretty much all my character sets (and I have a TON) use the same Window Layout, I do have several other Window Layouts that hang around. Some of those (unused) layouts use 1920x1160 resolution in some places (workarea, region, etc).

Could it be that IS gets confused and end up using some settings from the wrong Window Layout?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu May 17, 2012 3:01 pm

No, Inner Space wont use settings from the wrong Window Layout. RIFT could obviously retain settings from the previous launch of the game in its config file...

Are both PCs set to Full Screen mode? Is there a reason you use that instead of Windowed Mode?

In order to reproduce your issue it would help to see your config with the Window Layout we're talking about. HOWTO: Share your configuration for better support
<<

Smedbox

Post Thu May 17, 2012 4:25 pm

Both PCs use the same in-game Fullscreen option. I believe IS overrides this and set the game client window to Fullscreen Windowed. There is no delay when I swap between game clients or other PC apps. I tried the Fullscreen Window in-game option the other day and it didn't make any difference to the mouse position mismatch. However, changing the setting while IS is active did make the game window behave badly until I restarted the game (it didn't go proper fullscreen, the Windows taskbar still showed up, etc). After the game restart, it still had the mouse mismatch problem.

I'll send you the xml privately.

[EDIT] Um, how do I send it privately?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu May 17, 2012 5:22 pm

Email to lax@lavishsoft.com is fine
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu May 17, 2012 8:46 pm

Inner Space build 5617 is now up as a development build of Inner Space, and should fix this issue for you. To try it out, right click Inner Space and select Patcher, check "Download development (test) patches" then close and restart Inner Space to let it patch up.
<<

Smedbox

Post Thu May 17, 2012 11:38 pm

Unfortunately, build 5617 does not fix the issue.

Setting the in-game resolution to 1920x1160 makes the mouse and UI match up on my primary PC. But then it won't match up with the UI on my 2nd PC (though I guess I could set that resolution on the 2nd PC too)... :/

FYI, I use the "3+2 clerics" character set most often these days.

(It did seem to fix another smaller issue though - IS on the 2nd PC will now launch Rift after an update. Every time IS is updated, my McAfee will block its network connection and ask me if I want to block or allow the program. Before build 5617, this would throw off IS and it would miss the initial launch request on my 2nd PC, but now it seems to get a new launch request after I allow the network connection and properly launch Rift.)
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri May 18, 2012 6:05 am

Inner Space build 5618 makes some additional fixes for the game's "Fullscreen Windowed" setting, let me know if this helped
<<

errlan

Post Fri May 18, 2012 7:33 am

Just updated IsBoxer and now have the same issue with the mouse.

I've emailed the XML file to lax@lavishsoft.com

I'm dual booting on one computer, using one monitor: window sizes: 1920:900, 640:300 centered at bottom

Edit:
So I changed my video settings to windowed and 1920:1200 in Rift UI settings and now the mouse is working ok.
Last edited by errlan on Fri May 18, 2012 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to RIFT