FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Lag in Background Windows After Patch Today

Moderator: MiRai

<<

hephaestus

Post Tue May 10, 2011 10:54 pm

Lag in Background Windows After Patch Today

I have been playing 4 characters on one machine for a week now with no problems. However, today after the patch, I am lagging like crazy in my background windows, I even broke it down into two computers and one was still lagging like mad. I didn't really change anything, but there is a massive difference. I have all graphics turned down and get 50 FPS on the main window on both computers, but within minutes, the non-focused window characters can't even stay on follow. I switch to them, and 40 FPS on each screen (with 63-75 millisecond latency), it doesn't make any sense. Anyone else having issues? Thank you :cry:
<<

Alge

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Tue May 10, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Lag in Background Windows After Patch Today

There were some changes made to video setting in the 1.2 patch. Either:

1) they broke something and you need to wait for a fix or new drivers
2) some new setting has been turned on by default and you may be able to turn it off.
3) ?

P.S. I was running 5 clients on one machine for about an hour after the patch last night and had no issues.
<<

Cyann

Post Tue May 10, 2011 11:20 pm

I am experiencing the exact same thing. I am 3 boxing and its as if for every step forward the two characters in the follow mode take two steps back. I have everything setup exactly like the rift setup guide. I have knocked the background down to 15 fps for my two following characters and placed all three accounts in a 'Fullscreen Windowed' mode. I assume its related to the patch, but any suggestions would be great. I will be on the game from 1pm (eastern) on and will check back here to see if there is any specific info I would need to give to help with this issue.

Thank you,

Cyann
<<

hephaestus

Post Wed May 11, 2011 12:32 am

Thanks Alge,

Unfortunately I couldn't fix it, I repaired Rift, repatched IS, but no luck. I even ran my characters with no graphics (the restart with stick figures option) and still no luck, same thing happens. I have 50 plus frame rate on the active window layout (or layouts on two computers) and the others very quickly lag to the point of not even being able to follow. If I switch to them, back to 50+ framerate... It seems as if it is something with IS or ISBoxer and Rift combined, as they both work fine on other games and Rift runs smoothly otherwise. Very strange, I have been playing since beta with zero issues, guess I won't be multi-boxing for a bit...
<<

Alge

Post Wed May 11, 2011 2:57 am

Things to try:

1) How do you have your cores assigned? I have 8 cores (1,3,5,7 are physical; 2,4,6,8 are virtual). I assign my slots as:

Slot 1: 1,2
Slot 2: 3,4
Slot 3: 5,6
Slot 4: 7,8
Slot 5: 3,5,7

You can change this in your character set in ISBoxer. It may have become more important with the changes in the patch. Rule of thumb is to make sure each slot is assigned a physical core and to spread your slots across the cores as much as possible.

2) RIFT has three windowing options: fullscreen, windowed and fullscreen windowed. It may be worth trying the modes other than the one you are currently using. I use fullscreen.

3) Make sure Ambient Occlusion is Off under Advanced Video Settings in-game. It is a new setting since 1.2 and seems to be On by default.
Last edited by Alge on Wed May 11, 2011 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Cyann

Post Wed May 11, 2011 3:06 am

Alge wrote:How do you have your cores assigned? I have 8 cores (1,3,5,7 are physical; 2,4,6,8 are virtual). I assign my slots as:

Slot 1: 1,2
Slot 2: 3,4
Slot 3: 5,6
Slot 4: 7,8
Slot 5: 3,5,7

You can change this in your character set in ISBoxer. It may have become more important with the changes in the patch. Rule of thumb is to make sure each slot is assigned a physical core and to spread your slots across the cores as much as possible.

Another thing to check/try:

RIFT has three windowing options: fullscreen, windowed and fullscreen windowed. It may be worth trying the modes other than the one you are currently using. I use fullscreen.

I am currently using all 8 cores on my 3 characters. I will try later today to divide them up. I did try all the window modes in Rift and did not see an improvement.
<<

Alge

Post Wed May 11, 2011 3:19 am

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?185773-Game-choppy-after-1.2-patch

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?186883-20-FPS-drop-after-patch-1.2

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?186879-Drastic-decrease-FPS-post-patch.

Seems to be a wider issue than just multi-boxing. Elrar has stated they are aware of the issue and are working on a fix.

In the meantime, some people have reported improvements form closing rifterrorhandler processes in Task Manager.
<<

hephaestus

Post Wed May 11, 2011 10:26 am

Thank you very much Alge, I had found some similar posts on the forums, but they just had complaints, not attempts at a fix :) I will give this a shot tonight. They clearly messed something up with the patch yesterday morning. There were other folks with one instance of Rift going that were frozen in Meridian. Hopefully they can revert whatever tinkering the did with the graphics, thanks again for the help, the community here is amazing!
<<

Cyann

Post Wed May 11, 2011 3:56 pm

Ok, I think most of the issues have been resolved for me. Today when I logged in I was starting to see graphic errors, which I have not had before, as well as the continued issue with /follow.

I took Alge's advice (thank you btw :) ) and instead of having all 8 cores for all 3 slots I divided it out.

Slot 1: 1 ,2, 3
Slot 2: 4, 5, 6
Slot 3: 7, 8

Running around now and I am no longer seeing graphic issues and all three characters are working as they were before the patch.

Hopeufully this works for others as well.
<<

Abyssrunner

Post Wed May 11, 2011 7:16 pm

kill rifterrorhandler.exe in processes and your games will speed back up to pre 1.2 patch levels
Next

Return to RIFT