FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

crashing and strange graphics

Moderator: MiRai

<<

pox67

Post Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:09 pm

crashing and strange graphics

Hey all,

I am getting some weird behaviour with Rift. It might be because of overclocking or other boxers might be getting it as well.

I am using a Core 2 Quad Q9550 processor clocked up to 3.9ghz, up from 2.8ghz. This is stable in other games but 3 Rift clients might be pushing it!
I have the game installed on an SSD and run the 3 clients from the same folder.

Currently setup with a trio, main windows is using cores 1 and 2, the other 2 windows use cores 3 and 4 respectively.

1. Every hour or 2 the main window will just exit back to Windows. Easy enough to start up again but it is starting to get annoying. The other 2 clients don't crash.

2. Then there is weird artifacts:
-sometimes peoples body parts get left behind. One time my rogues legs were left on a road. The model was missing the legs and everytime I went down the road they were still there and even had the characters name still attached to them.
- one time all models disappeared for a character. There were no buildings/rocks/trees. They could walk anywhere and see for miles. Mobs/npcs/other chars were still visible and could be interacted with
- I have had a popup come up in game telling me to run recover on the game from client log in as there is some corruption. I have run the recover thing a few times but it hasn't helped.

Any one else got similar issues?
Computer:
Intel 3930K (6 core, 12 hyperthreaded), Asus P9X79 LE, 16GB Ram
2 x Sapphire 7970 Dual-X Boost in Crossfire.
2 x 27" 2560x1440 monitors.
<<

Berserker

Post Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:45 pm

Re: crashing and strange graphics

pox67 wrote:Hey all,

I am getting some weird behaviour with Rift. It might be because of overclocking or other boxers might be getting it as well.

I am using a Core 2 Quad Q9550 processor clocked up to 3.9ghz, up from 2.8ghz. This is stable in other games but 3 Rift clients might be pushing it!
I have the game installed on an SSD and run the 3 clients from the same folder.

Currently setup with a trio, main windows is using cores 1 and 2, the other 2 windows use cores 3 and 4 respectively.

1. Every hour or 2 the main window will just exit back to Windows. Easy enough to start up again but it is starting to get annoying. The other 2 clients don't crash.

This might be a gpu issue. Have your OC'd your cards as well? Rift is pretty fragile. I have to run a lighter OC on my gfx cards in Rift than any other game.

pox67 wrote:2. Then there is weird artifacts:
-sometimes peoples body parts get left behind. One time my rogues legs were left on a road. The model was missing the legs and everytime I went down the road they were still there and even had the characters name still attached to them.
- one time all models disappeared for a character. There were no buildings/rocks/trees. They could walk anywhere and see for miles. Mobs/npcs/other chars were still visible and could be interacted with
- I have had a popup come up in game telling me to run recover on the game from client log in as there is some corruption. I have run the recover thing a few times but it hasn't helped.

Any one else got similar issues?

Yep. All of these, unfortunately. Some of these went away when I dropped the OC on my graphics cards (when from 940 core clock and 1880 shader clock to 935/1870 and cleared up most of it). I still lose body parts from time to time however :)

Running the recover thing for me would always report "Already up to date" and do nothing.
<<

pox67

Post Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: crashing and strange graphics

There is no OC on my graphics card (GTX 285) although that is what is really holding me back performance wise. The card is constantly at 80-82c playing Rift. The main window runs at high settings and the others at low render option.

A GTX 580 is in the budget and I am just waiting till next week to see if the GTX 590 release will drop the price.

I am wondering the if the crashes are CPU or GPU related. It would be great if it was GPU related as it will soon be fixed :)
Computer:
Intel 3930K (6 core, 12 hyperthreaded), Asus P9X79 LE, 16GB Ram
2 x Sapphire 7970 Dual-X Boost in Crossfire.
2 x 27" 2560x1440 monitors.

Return to RIFT