FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Rift combat mechanics

Moderator: MiRai

<<

pox67

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:29 am

Rift combat mechanics

Rift looks like fun but before I jump in I have a question or two I haven't seen answered elsewhere.

I have been dual clienting LOTRO recently and enjoy it apart from a combat mechanic. That is fervour for my Champion or healing/dps for Runekeeper. Basically for the champion I need to use some lower level attacks to build up "fervour" before using a bigger or AOE attack. For the Runekeeper I need to do a bunch of little heals before big ones and can't use dps when healing.
This makes single play more fun but is taxing when boxing. In EQ2 if I wanted to bomb, heal or AOE I just hit the button.

Does Rift have these game mechanics where you need to build attacks or is it just press the button for what you want?
Computer:
Intel 3930K (6 core, 12 hyperthreaded), Asus P9X79 LE, 16GB Ram
2 x Sapphire 7970 Dual-X Boost in Crossfire.
2 x 27" 2560x1440 monitors.
<<

tanker

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:15 am

Re: Rift combat mechanics

LoTRO has a lot of things that make boxing difficult. The variable length spells, animations, and GCDs drive me nuts. If you change your weapon, all the timings change too. Note, WoW has similar mechanics with rage/focus/energy (similar to fervour) and combo points (similar to tiering for minis).

Rift isn't like that, from what I remember of the beta all the spells have a standard GCD, and can be used whenever they are off cooldown.
<<

Berserker

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:52 pm

In Rift, rogues have combo points -- you need 5 to launch a "finisher". Tanks have action points -- you need 3 to launch a "finisher" but the finisher's for tanks vary from enabling a dot to hitting hard. Both archetypes also have spammables.

Over all, the macro system in Rift makes it very easy to do this while boxing. You spam 1 key until you have your combo points, then hit another key for the finisher.

Heals and spells are just GCD / CD limited -- no combos.
<<

pox67

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:18 pm

Cool, thanks for the responses. That sounds much better than LOTRO. I'll pick up one copy and see if I like it before grabbing more.
Computer:
Intel 3930K (6 core, 12 hyperthreaded), Asus P9X79 LE, 16GB Ram
2 x Sapphire 7970 Dual-X Boost in Crossfire.
2 x 27" 2560x1440 monitors.

Return to RIFT