FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Mouse repeater inaccuracies?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Berserker

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:36 pm

Mouse repeater inaccuracies?

I've been experimenting with the mouse repeater and have been seeing some strange results.

At first, I was running region 1 @ 1920x1200 and region 2 @1280x1024 (both are 1920x1200 in game). I was getting very strange results and then it dawned on me... those resolutions are different aspect ratios (duh :D).

Then, I tried 1920x1200 and 1280x800. This was much better, but the slave mouse was still off by a little bit in some cases -- e.g. the quest windows are slightly off and I haven't moved the actual windows in game. On the master, when I'm hovering over the buttons, the slave is not. If I move the master about 3/4 of an inch below the button, then the slave highlights...

So, I tried 1920x1200 and 960x600. Again, it seems there was a slight improvement in accuracy in some cases, but I still get the inaccuracy with other gui objects.

I'm going to switch out the 1280x1024 monitor this weekend for another 1920x1200 and retest at 1:1 -- been meaning to do this anyway...

I'm just wondering if I'm doing something silly still, or if this behavior sounds normal?
<<

Berserker

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:47 pm

Re: Mouse repeater inaccuracies?

I just saw this post from Lax in another thread ( http://isboxer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=404#p1639 ) and wanted to pre-emptively respond that I do have instant swapping enabled :)
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:18 am

Is this on Inner Space build 5376? I can check this out tomorrow

Also, if you're changing the layout settings around while in game and it seems screwy, try relaunching and see if that helps.
<<

Berserker

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:33 am

Yep its in the 5376 build.

I'm trying a new set right now and one thing I noticed was that one of the default windows was in slightly different places on each account. I know rift stores almost everything on the server, so I wonder if this has something to do with the other account's defaults being changed (using my wife's beta account :)) I'll keep comparing the window placements as I go on the new set, and will also log in tomorrow to the old set and see if the windows are just off a little.

Thanks for the quick support!
<<

Berserker

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:55 pm

I'm now running both master and slave windows on the clone monitors at the same resolution, although I run the four slaves at 1/4 the size of the main (the 1:4 window layout in the wizard). I believe there are 2 issues contributing to this overall:

1) Rift gets very camera happy, even with smart camera, blah blah, off. It almost constantly is twitching the camera angle around as I move on at least 1 of the accounts (don't even ask me about following underwater and the Rift camera...). Given that, looting, quest clicking, etc. can be a pain, but when it gets silly, I take a minute and re-sync he camera views for all accounts. While I'd love it if you fixed this, I don't really think its an IS issue :mrgreen:

Having said that, I'm now starting to see some of the weirdness with the UI frame again. On launch, I set up one UI and used the /exportui command to share that UI to all the accounts, so I know all the UI frames are in the same location. I'm starting to see mouse repeater inaccuracies on these windows -- the are just off a little, just enough so that I have to tweak the mouse position around while watching the slave windows. This also occurs on the immovable frames (the confirmation popups) in the game. I'm not really sure what the issue is here. It was not this way when I started playing the team on Saturday, but is seems to be becoming more and more pronounced the longer I play (per session, as well as overall). It does seem to be localized to accounts, so I'm not sure if the Rift UI is moving with the camera freakiness (though that would make absolutely no sense to me).

Edit: oh yeah... when the camera angle is freaked out, click to move can be very entertaining :)
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:51 pm

Make sure they are all in the same windowed/fullscreen mode? You do actually have to look in the game (or patcher), ISBoxer is forcing it into a window either way if you are running multiple on the same PC. And the game may operate differently between the two, because it either thinks it is full screen, or knows it is windowed.
<<

Berserker

Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:15 pm

lax wrote:Make sure they are all in the same windowed/fullscreen mode? You do actually have to look in the game (or patcher), ISBoxer is forcing it into a window either way if you are running multiple on the same PC. And the game may operate differently between the two, because it either thinks it is full screen, or knows it is windowed.

Thanks -- just checked and they are all set to 1920x1200 full screen. Should I try them in fs windowed?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:05 pm

full screen windowed is probably the least likely to work at the moment, I would either just try between windowed or full screen for now
<<

Berserker

Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:44 pm

I played a few hours with fs windowed (didn't see your reply before playing). It seemed like the mouse pointer was better (but still not cured), but it seemed to be 'dropping' mouse clicks. I got a LOT of graphical bugs that way too -- like the main screen looking at the intersection of the 4 slave windows when I switched, one slave had some strange rainbowing to the sky texture (and only one -- it was persistent after refresh, reloadui, etc.).

I'll try it again in fs mode and see if the mouse pointer was truely better or if it was just a new day :)

The dropped click issues were all on taking or turning in quests via the repeater. Two slaves seemed to be the main issue -- the buttons were lighting up, but when I clicked, only 3 out of the 5 actually sent a click to the game.

I'm also not seeing the mouse point with the repeater on. It did show on all 4 slaves a couple of times yesterday, but overall, the pointer does not show despite having 'show fake cursor' enabled in ISB.
<<

Berserker

Post Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:53 pm

Okay -- I've figured this out.

The UI components are moving. As I said above, I started the team from the same UI and am very careful not to move anything... Turns out things have been migrating up towards 0 y, and I guess it is doing so at a different rate across the clients.

Current workaround: reload the exported UI from one client every so often.

This is very weird. I think it's a bug having to do with mouse clicks -- occasionally, I get very surly game instances, that I've really only noticed when dual boxing, in which click on the screen for any reason (e.g. to loot, select a mob, etc.) changes the camera angle as if I am holding down a mouse button. It is impossible to play in that state. I wonder if the UI movement is caused by a similar event.

Return to RIFT