FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Rift's follow command, looting, click to move

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Berserker

Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:15 pm

Rift's follow command, looting, click to move

I've been playing around with ISBoxer in Rift since the beginning of this beta. So far, everything seems to work well (with the 5376 patch) from the IS / ISB standpoint.

Rift, on the other hand, does a few "unfriendly" things IMO, or possibly I'm just a noob :)

1) The follow command is extremely fragile in some respects -- switching to the slave to grab a quest or to loot quest drops breaks follow, for instance. It also seems to be a very distant follow from what I'm used to (DAoC stick, WAR follow), often leaving the slave OOR.

2) Looting: all these silly "loot the corpses" quests are really irritating when boxing :) I didn't mind them at all when soloing lol.

3) I tried setting up "click to move" to alleviate all these problems, but something is screwy. A) even if I use follow to make sure we are facing the same direction and start us at the same place, within 2-3 minutes, everything is haywire and t he slave is off on her own doing god knows what -- this is probably related to B. B) when I use the mouse repeater on things like quest windows, or even for moving buttons between the actions bars, results are unpredictable. It may work great for quest A, but on quest B from the same quest giver, without moving at all, the Slave ignores the accept clicks, etc.

Now, I run 1920x1200 on the master monitor and the slave monitor is 1280x1024 (though, as I understand it, running the same resolution). I did not have these issues when 5-boxing in DAoC (the random seeming mouse). I'm at a loss.

If you have any ideas on how to box better in Rift, I'd love to hear them!

TIA!
<<

MortalMan

Post Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:30 pm

Re: Rift's follow command, looting, click to move

Anyone find a solution to the loot the corpse quests? It's annoying to loot a corpse on every single client one by one.
<<

Berserker

Post Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:28 am

I turn on the mouse repeater, and 7/10 times can "multi-loot." Camera angles need to be spot on, which often means I have to turn the master to match how the slaves are facing since follow doesn't always maintain the fov.
<<

Berserker

Post Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:08 am

Actually the video feeds feature looks promising for this -- specifically the "cursor feeds" thing.

Check it out: http://isboxer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1074
<<

Berserker

Post Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:24 pm

I experimented with video feeds and cursor feeds, following the guide linked above. It works GREAT for the autoloot / quest windows deal, and easily lets you do none macro'd things between your characters (e.g. root around in bags, etc., without setting up the bag feeds as in the guide).

Also, I used a toggle (covered in the guide) to turn off my slave video feeds when they were following nicely and saw a 15 fps boost (from ~25-30 with the feed or the second screen rendering on monitor 2 to ~40-44 with the feed off)... An added benefit!
<<

Amrathe

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:14 am

After playing a dual Chloro in beta, I decided to go with a Warrior (pally/reaver/warlord) + Mage (Chloro/elemental/warlock) for my head-start 2-box setup. This was my first experience using isbox to dual box, but after a few hours of tinkering I managed to get some stuff working.

I've attached a screenshot of my beta layout with notes on how I changed it for release (beta I just used clickbars with key maps because they were both the same class.. obviously this doesn't work as well with a warrior/mage pair).

Essentially I decided to go with a combination of video feeds + repeater regions to make it easy to manage both characters at once. First I setup the UI the way I liked it on the warrior account. Then I saved it and used /exportui. On the mage client I used /importui to get an identical UI setup. Once they were identical I moved ability bar 2 and 3 up by the height of the ability bar and the primary ability bar left the width of the ability bar (for my video feeds and repeaters below).

Along the left side I have setup a Mouse Repeater Region that half covers the group health bars. This box sends clicks to the Mage client and blocks clicks on the Warrior client. This allows me to target anyone in the group on the mage account for heals without changing the warrior target as well as target groupmates with the warrior without changing the mage target. Who is doing the targeting is merely based on which part of the group status I click (portrait vs. healthbars). I thought of using targetmark macros instead, but with only 2 characters I figured it would be easier to just click on who I wanted targeted.

For the casting/ability bars I setup 2 video feeds. 1 to cover ability bar 1 and another that covers ability bars 2 and 3. I also configured a mouse repeater region that would send clicks to the mage client and block clicks to the warrior account and overlayed it onto the same video feed.

Then I setup a FTL macro for the mage account to follow the warrior account (with only 2 accounts I could probably have just made a simple follow macro instead of making it FLT with modifiers, but I wanted to learn how the FTL worked). I bound them to a keymap and boosh, easy as pie.

Finally I setup a keymap to enable/disable a cursor feed from the mage client onto the warrior client screen (for looting/quests). I bound those two keys to a key combination and then bound that key combination to thumb buttons 1 and 2 on my Razer Naga (so I can turn the feed on/off without touching the keyboard via the mouse itself).

Testing this setup last night worked REALLY well. I could easily see when the cooldown was done on my chloro spells and recast them via a mouse click (which is important due to how a chloro heals).

TODO - Because my mage is going heavy Chloromancer for the heals, I think I am going to add some keymaps to allow me to cast spells from ability bar 1 on the mage without having to click on them. This will let me chain cast my life nukes (for healing) without having to keep my mouse clicking away in the repeater region. I will most likely set the thumb buttons on my Razer Naga to correspond to those new maps. This should let me either click or use the keyboard for my warrior abilities and click or use my thumb buttons for the mage spells (and I will make sure the most used combat spells are in that first ability bar).

Anyone have any ideas on how to improve this setup?
Attachments
layout.JPG
layout.JPG (236.75 KiB) Viewed 16445 times
<<

borntobox

Post Thu May 12, 2011 9:03 pm

Amrathe wrote:After playing a dual Chloro in beta, I decided to go with a Warrior (pally/reaver/warlord) + Mage (Chloro/elemental/warlock) for my head-start 2-box setup. This was my first experience using isbox to dual box, but after a few hours of tinkering I managed to get some stuff working.

I've attached a screenshot of my beta layout with notes on how I changed it for release (beta I just used clickbars with key maps because they were both the same class.. obviously this doesn't work as well with a warrior/mage pair).

Essentially I decided to go with a combination of video feeds + repeater regions to make it easy to manage both characters at once. First I setup the UI the way I liked it on the warrior account. Then I saved it and used /exportui. On the mage client I used /importui to get an identical UI setup. Once they were identical I moved ability bar 2 and 3 up by the height of the ability bar and the primary ability bar left the width of the ability bar (for my video feeds and repeaters below).

Along the left side I have setup a Mouse Repeater Region that half covers the group health bars. This box sends clicks to the Mage client and blocks clicks on the Warrior client. This allows me to target anyone in the group on the mage account for heals without changing the warrior target as well as target groupmates with the warrior without changing the mage target. Who is doing the targeting is merely based on which part of the group status I click (portrait vs. healthbars). I thought of using targetmark macros instead, but with only 2 characters I figured it would be easier to just click on who I wanted targeted.

For the casting/ability bars I setup 2 video feeds. 1 to cover ability bar 1 and another that covers ability bars 2 and 3. I also configured a mouse repeater region that would send clicks to the mage client and block clicks to the warrior account and overlayed it onto the same video feed.

Then I setup a FTL macro for the mage account to follow the warrior account (with only 2 accounts I could probably have just made a simple follow macro instead of making it FLT with modifiers, but I wanted to learn how the FTL worked). I bound them to a keymap and boosh, easy as pie.

Finally I setup a keymap to enable/disable a cursor feed from the mage client onto the warrior client screen (for looting/quests). I bound those two keys to a key combination and then bound that key combination to thumb buttons 1 and 2 on my Razer Naga (so I can turn the feed on/off without touching the keyboard via the mouse itself).

Testing this setup last night worked REALLY well. I could easily see when the cooldown was done on my chloro spells and recast them via a mouse click (which is important due to how a chloro heals).

TODO - Because my mage is going heavy Chloromancer for the heals, I think I am going to add some keymaps to allow me to cast spells from ability bar 1 on the mage without having to click on them. This will let me chain cast my life nukes (for healing) without having to keep my mouse clicking away in the repeater region. I will most likely set the thumb buttons on my Razer Naga to correspond to those new maps. This should let me either click or use the keyboard for my warrior abilities and click or use my thumb buttons for the mage spells (and I will make sure the most used combat spells are in that first ability bar).

Anyone have any ideas on how to improve this setup?

Do you think you can set up a video on this? thanks
<<

Alge

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Thu May 12, 2011 9:34 pm

A similar setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBxMm9fnXvw

Not a guide, just showing what the end result can do.
<<

borntobox

Post Fri May 13, 2011 5:14 am

Thanks alge for the video i just wish rift had iwt and jamba i guess i have to deal with this for now.
<<

borntobox

Post Fri May 13, 2011 1:38 pm

I'm having second thoughts about dualboxing this game for the fact that its not very simplified to box its easy to box wow with the addons for your healer so you can heal on your tank pretty easily.

Seems everything was easy..dont get me wrong i enjoy this game i just cant see myself getting the full enjoyment out of my two accounts with this poor macro system and i hope there's an addon system coming soon cause this is terrible i need "baggon" "dmg meter" "auctioneer" & many more :lol: i just dont wanna go threw so much stuff like we are now.

Return to RIFT