FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

RIFT a good 5 box game?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

blazicks

Post Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:03 pm

RIFT a good 5 box game?

Hey all... So I played EQ for a long time, then EQ2... then WoW... then I played RIFT for like the first month it was out and then just stopped playing MMORPG's. I boxed every game... full groups, all me.

I recently got back into playing and started a 6 box in EQ2 and I just couldn't get into it. So I am considering RIFT as I have heard a lot of good things about it over WoW.

How much of the game can I see as a 5 box? Is it a quality game that will always be challenging and not totally repetitive? and can a 5 box accomplish a lot?

If so, what group makeup do you guys recommend to really be able to see the most of the game? (I consider myself highly skilled single group multi boxer just FYI)

Thanks in advance.
<<

firescue17

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:49 am

Re: RIFT a good 5 box game?

Heh. I'm looking into Rift also. EQ is disappointing at the moment. Some questions:

1) Does combat break autofollow?
2) Can I reuse character names as I experiment in the early levels if I delete the Character? I hate to waste a good name on a one-use basis while I don't know what I'm doing.
3) I'm looking at a Tank, Mage, Mage, Mage, Cleric. The specs on the character creation screen don't match the official site http://www.riftgame.com/en/characters/warrior/. For example on my warrior screen, I have Righteous Defender, Lord of War (locked), Overlord, Fury (locked), Auramancer (locked), Beastlord (locked). Did Trion rename the specs and not update the website?
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:25 am

blazicks wrote:I recently got back into playing and started a 6 box in EQ2 and I just couldn't get into it. So I am considering RIFT as I have heard a lot of good things about it over WoW.

How much of the game can I see as a 5 box? Is it a quality game that will always be challenging and not totally repetitive? and can a 5 box accomplish a lot?

If so, what group makeup do you guys recommend to really be able to see the most of the game? (I consider myself highly skilled single group multi boxer just FYI)

Thanks in advance.

RIFT is as close to a WoW clone as you're going to get, but as for it not being repetitive... well, I think every MMO has to be repetitive in some way so that people keep playing the game.

I haven't done much multiboxing in RIFT at all, but it's definitely on my radar and I'll hopefully get to it sooner than later.

firescue17 wrote:Heh. I'm looking into Rift also. EQ is disappointing at the moment. Some questions:

1) Does combat break autofollow?
2) Can I reuse character names as I experiment in the early levels if I delete the Character? I hate to waste a good name on a one-use basis while I don't know what I'm doing.
3) I'm looking at a Tank, Mage, Mage, Mage, Cleric. The specs on the character creation screen don't match the official site http://www.riftgame.com/en/characters/warrior/. For example on my warrior screen, I have Righteous Defender, Lord of War (locked), Overlord, Fury (locked), Auramancer (locked), Beastlord (locked). Did Trion rename the specs and not update the website?

1) I do not believe so
2) Yes
3) I believe you're confusing sub-classes with souls? Souls, such as Paragon, Paladin, Riftblade, etc are part of your "talent tree" (WoW term) and they are very customizable (it's one of the best things about this game). Beyond that, I cannot give an answer for certain, but I believe the difference between something like Righteous Defender and Overlord are the Souls which you start off with in your "talent tree." Some of these Souls are behind a pay wall due to an expansion or whatever, and once they're unlocked the other sub-classes will become available, but you can switch between these Souls either at will, or for a small fee, so I don't think you're ever really locked to a certain sub-class.
<<

firescue17

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:40 pm

Yeah, Souls is what I meant. My understanding from reading about the talent trees is it's similar to Path of Exile. If you choose a base too far from your intended result you will spend most of your talent points simply getting back to where you wanted to start.

I've read a significant amount about soul builds on the Rift forum. Regardless if they're locked behind the paywall or not, I can't match up ANYTHING I read on the Rift forums or the Rift website with the Character creation screen. In addition, it doesn't match what I remember from Beta or a year ago when I last fiddled with Rift. I've even read through the last couple years worth of patch notes to see if there was documentation there about "Talent X" has been renamed to "Talent Y."

I've pretty much got my tank sorted out. DPS is DPS, the only thing that really varies is the distance from the mob (caster vs. melee). I'm sure Bards are awesome, but I'm willing to forgo that until I figure out the basics.

I guess main question is what the term for a true, Group / AE Cleric is. I want a powerful group healer as opposed to a funky hybrid DPS / passive-regen-single target healer.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:03 am

firescue17 wrote:I've read a significant amount about soul builds on the Rift forum. Regardless if they're locked behind the paywall or not, I can't match up ANYTHING I read on the Rift forums or the Rift website with the Character creation screen. In addition, it doesn't match what I remember from Beta or a year ago when I last fiddled with Rift. I've even read through the last couple years worth of patch notes to see if there was documentation there about "Talent X" has been renamed to "Talent Y."

I'll agree that it's weird that they don't give you this information on the character creation screen and they give you these options as if they actually matter, but you're assigned a specific set of Souls based upon whatever you choose on the character creation screen -- That's it.

Warrior > Righteous Defender > Void Knight / Paladin / Paragon
Warrior > Overlord > Champion / Warlord / Paragon

From there I don't think it matters very much since you can just pick whichever Soul you want from that class and use it, and even the character selection screen doesn't give you any information beyond just being a Warrior. When you're in the Souls pane you can hit the Presets button and look at several different combinations of Souls with a description for what they're meant to do playstyle/role-wise. Some are locked behind a pay wall and others require that you're a certain level to use.

Return to RIFT