FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

SLI for WoW - Has it gotten any better?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Rhand

Post Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:21 pm

SLI for WoW - Has it gotten any better?

Topic sort of says it all, any improvements in the last couple years with regards to SLI configurations and WoW + ISBoxer? Is it still a net performance loss vs. bigger single card? I'm on an 4gb GTX 980 and debating SLI if it's any better or moving to an 8gb/11gb 1080 card. I know I'm hitting some CPU capacity issues with a 6700K and also looking at 8th gen 6-10 core CPU's for more dedicated CPU to client performance.

Anyone working in SLI and/or 8th gen 5+ core rigs?
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:10 pm

Re: SLI for WoW - Has it gotten any better?

Rhand wrote:Topic sort of says it all, any improvements in the last couple years with regards to SLI configurations and WoW + ISBoxer? Is it still a net performance loss vs. bigger single card? I'm on an 4gb GTX 980 and debating SLI if it's any better or moving to an 8gb/11gb 1080 card. I know I'm hitting some CPU capacity issues with a 6700K and also looking at 8th gen 6-10 core CPU's for more dedicated CPU to client performance.

Here's my take on it...
If you're looking for better performance when using mediocre in-game settings, then SLI can help, but if you're looking at SLI in order to push higher in-game video settings, then it falls short. I would suggest just getting something like a 1080 Ti that is going to blow away your current 980 (assuming it's within budget).
<<

Rhand

Post Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: SLI for WoW - Has it gotten any better?

MiRai wrote:
Rhand wrote:Topic sort of says it all, any improvements in the last couple years with regards to SLI configurations and WoW + ISBoxer? Is it still a net performance loss vs. bigger single card? I'm on an 4gb GTX 980 and debating SLI if it's any better or moving to an 8gb/11gb 1080 card. I know I'm hitting some CPU capacity issues with a 6700K and also looking at 8th gen 6-10 core CPU's for more dedicated CPU to client performance.

Here's my take on it...
If you're looking for better performance when using mediocre in-game settings, then SLI can help, but if you're looking at SLI in order to push higher in-game video settings, then it falls short. I would suggest just getting something like a 1080 Ti that is going to blow away your current 980 (assuming it's within budget).

Yeah, I'm not looking to push the visuals, just bring up the frame rates on mid-range WoW settings for the slave sessions. Sounds like the 1080Ti is more realistic.

Return to Multiboxing Hardware