FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

5 Man Laptop Question

Moderator: MiRai

<<

kalos1972

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:01 am

5 Man Laptop Question

Anyone have any thoughts on if this laptop can handle 5 mans, low game quality is ok as long as the FPS holds on all 5 toons.

Asus 15.6 Gaming Laptop - http://store.asus.com/us/item/201510AM170008064/A18486
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:34 am

Re: 5 Man Laptop Question

The GPU is the only thing that would put a downer on it for me. The mobile chips are never quite as good as the desktop variants.

I'd be inclined to go for something with a 970 or 980 and 4GB vram at least. But not a 4K screen. But that is just my preference.
<<

kalos1972

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:43 am

Im trying to keep the price modest, do you think that would work most likely?

I run my game on low/#1 system settings now at 1920 but barely get by 5 boxing. I lose follow alot and major cities are painful.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:46 am

Gaming notebooks are hard, and will just suck in comparison to a desktop with equivalently positioned/numbered parts, and you will make compromises no matter how much you spend.

My thoughts are:
  • The CPU is decent, and the 2nd(?) from the top level of notebook class chips.
  • 16GB RAM should be OK. From what I've seen, it'll run 5 instances of WoW.
  • 1TB HDD. Sucky, but SSD's cost more. This will hurt you in performance no matter where you turn. I couldn't go back to purely mechanical drive systems these days. I would try and spring for at least the 128GB SSD option to run the OS and one game install (i.e. WoW).
  • 960M 2GB. Might be OK. Some digging around shows approximate equivalency with some other (desktop) chips (750Ti, 7970) that performed reasonably well (in their time), but those tended to have more vRAM, and desktop cards could be clocked higher. But I don't have a huge experience with 5 instances of WoW, so someone with some may be able to provide better insight here. Higher FPS on 5 instances of games is tricky at the best of times.
  • 1920x1080 display. Great stuff. 4K on a notebook looks pretty but to game on it (multiboxing), even with a 980M, is just asking for compromises the reduction in graphics quality/performance to poor levels. Plus you normally need to disable display scaling, which makes everything really tiny.

But all that said. It is what it is. You can only pay what you are comfortable paying, so buy what you can/are comfortable paying for.

p.s. I have no idea what specs you have now, so hard to say whether your choice is a notable jump.
p.p.s Have you tried monitoring your current setup to see where the performance is being hit ?
<<

kalos1972

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:47 pm

Yeah, a laptop is my best bet. I will need to keep a small foot print. Would a micro-ATX case still work? I always thought the cooling would be really bad in a small case.

What software would you suggest for the performance monitoring?

Return to Multiboxing Hardware