FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

15 client system requirement

Moderator: MiRai

<<

quantumparadox

Post Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:33 pm

15 client system requirement

I've been boxing 5 accounts with an AMD 6200 processor and a 680 video card. With the movie release I got a bunch of codes from friends so started 10 more accounts. just got them up to lvl to box all 15 and my computer is just not handling it well. Curious if I should spend the money on an I7 6950x with 10 cores, or just build another computer and run 2 computers to multibox the accounts. I figure for the price of that processor I can build another computer with an amd 8350 processor and upgrade my current to the same. Wondering which would give me a better performance? Also if i went with the I7 I'd get the 1080 video card...but with amd considering just a 960?

I know the more cores the better performance, just not sure if better to run 2 systems if i'm going with 15 accounts.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:13 pm

Re: 15 client system requirement

It's a difficult one because it depends on many factors.

Without trying it, or seeing where your performance drops to less than stellar levels on your current system then it comes down to price vs convenience. multi-computer setups have drawbacks - you have two keyboard/mouses (or software kvm), multi computer teams are slightly harder to configure (only slightly), videofx doesn't work across computers.

Would a 10core solve this for you? The general rule of thumb is to plan for 1 core per game instance. Considering an HT core is effectively 1.3 cores, a 10core would equate to 13, so, that is about your game instances, before you may start to struggle (this does all depend on game, and resolution, memory availability, network).
That said, on a 6 core (e.g. i75820/4930/3970), it is possible to run 10 WoW instances, provided you have tuned the game settings and you are not running excessive resolutions, so a 10 core just might be fine. I don't know anyone with one though. But some people have run 15 on an 8 core, so a 10 core should cover it with room to spare.

Then you need to consider graphics processing, resolution and quality. If running at 1080p, a GTX1080 may be enough. Hard to know, I don't have one to compare it too, but the more VRAM the better, and the more grunt the better. Most of the setups with 10 or more per box (that I know of) tend to have Titan Blacks, Titan-X's or 980Ti's, for the VRAM (and some were SLI'd for moar powa).

Just be aware than the expansions have typically come with greater demands on the cpu/gpu.

Personally I'd choose intel, but then 1. I'm biased, and 2. It just works better than the AMD chips for gaming. You do pay for it though.

/e: fixed CPU model nos.
Last edited by bob on Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

quantumparadox

Post Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: 15 client system requirement

I appreciate the info. I would rather go with 1 computer if possible only reason I was considering the I7...Have the money to build a really nice AMD but everytime I try to price the I7 I want to go all out if I'm spending that much on just the processor so I'm usually around 5k for a computer. Really don't want to put 5k into a computer if I'm still going to have issues with 15 accounts. May hold off, was just reading AMD may be releasing a 16 core Zen processor in Oct. With the new patch dropping in a couple days probably won't be spending much time multiboxing right now anyway.

Thanks for info! =)

Return to Multiboxing Hardware